DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 model confusion

Calhoun Ranger

Reactions
It's ME that's confused. I have been reading many of the threads here and looking at the DJI site, and it still leaves me with confusion and questions. Please take a look at what I THINK I understand about these, and let me know where I'm wrong, plus please give any tips you may have. I fly a Mavic Pro, and would like to move it to a backup role.

In Mavic 2, it appears there are three choices

M2 Pro
20MP still resolution
4K video (compare/contrast to Mavic Pro)
Go 4 or DJI Pilot?
Does it have all intelligent flight modes?
Does Smart Controller apply at all?

M2 Zoom
12MP still resolution
2X optical zoom
Go 4 or DJI Pilot?

M2 Enterprise Dual or Zoom
It appears that M2 Zoom is DIFFERENT from M2E Zoom, right?
12MP still resolution
Infrared is low-res, not very useful for Search and Rescue
RC or Smart Controller, but uses DJI Pilot only, no Intelligent Flight Modes
Attachments: strobe, spotlight, speaker

I am leaning toward M2 Pro because of the higher resolution in stills. I don't think I really need zoom.
Thanks!
Calhoun Ranger
d.b.a. NW GA Drone Guy

looks like you have done your homework and the only thing left to do is decide

Reactions: dirkclod
I had the phantom 4 pro for “better stills” etc because of its superior camera. But I’m not a professional photographer nor a videographer. I’ve since bought a mavic 2 zoom. And LOVE it. Didn’t think I would use the zoom functionality but it’s awesome. And I use it every flight. Takes plenty good enough photos and videos for the average drone pilot.
Plenty of intelligent flight modes and I use the smart controller. And Go4
Smart controller is bright and you don’t have the added task of connecting a phone or tablet before takeoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gindra
It's ME that's confused. I have been reading many of the threads here and looking at the DJI site, and it still leaves me with confusion and questions. Please take a look at what I THINK I understand about these, and let me know where I'm wrong, plus please give any tips you may have. I fly a Mavic Pro, and would like to move it to a backup role.

M2 Pro
20MP still resolution
Go 4 or DJI Pilot?

M2 Zoom
12MP still resolution
2X optical zoom
Go 4 or DJI Pilot?

12MP still resolution

I am leaning toward M2 Pro because of the higher resolution in stills. I don't think I really need zoom.
Thanks!
Calhoun Ranger
d.b.a. NW GA Drone Guy

I would buy the Mavic 2 Pro because you can always buy a Mavic Zoom camera on eBay for 400 bucks and use it on your Pro anytime you want.

You can do the same with the Mavic Zoom as well, but the Pro camera will run you 7-8 hundred dollars.

I can't answer many of those questions, but have the following comments:

"4K video (compare/contrast to Mavic Pro)": Does the (non-2) pro have 10-bit h.265? That may not matter to you, but if the pro doesn't, then there's an upgrade in that capacity. The compression is better, but requires heavier post-processing. The extra 2-bits means deeper color depth.

"Does it have all intelligent flight modes?" The M2P has a lot of the modes, but dropped the Course Lock / Home Lock. You can use some of the other modes to do similar things to course lock, or your you can use LITCHI.

Chris

Based on readings here, I would suspect that swapping cameras is not recommended as something that can be done routinely. The cable is apparently quite delicate.

Answering your questions about the Mavic 2 models:
The M2Pro and M2Zoom are the same drone, only the camera is different (a Hasselblad with nice specs for the Pro and a more classic but zoom camera for the Zoom).
For both the main software is the DJI Go 4.
For both the SC is available in a package
On the Zoom there is at least one extra Intelligent Flight mode extra: Dolly effect (fly back, zoom in) because it has a zoom, which the hasselblad hasn't.
I don't know how these two models compare to the Enterprise, which is in a different ball-park and price range.

Reactions: ff22 and Gindra
The ability to use the h265 codec is really only to reduce file size. It does not improve the imaging at all.

i use the mp2...and love it

I had the phantom 4 pro for “better stills” etc because of its superior camera. But I’m not a professional photographer nor a videographer. I’ve since bought a mavic 2 zoom. And LOVE it. Didn’t think I would use the zoom functionality but it’s awesome. And I use it every flight. Takes plenty good enough photos and videos for the average drone pilot.
Plenty of intelligent flight modes and I use the smart controller. And Go4
Smart controller is bright and you don’t have the added task of connecting a phone or tablet before takeoff.
I have flown the company Phantom 4 pro and the Mavic 2 Pro... each have their own best traits.

The ability to use the h265 codec is really only to reduce file size. It does not improve the imaging at all.
Not true at all. 10 bit video recording is only available in H.265, and only on the Mavic 2 Pro. The only recording mode choice for H.264 is 8 bit video recording. 10 bit contains is significantly more information than 8 bit, resulting in much better video quality, but requires more work in post to take advantage of it. A 10-bit image can display up to 1.07 billion colors, while an 8-bit photo can only display 16.7 million colors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot

M2 Pro
20MP still resolution
Go 4 or DJI Pilot?

M2 Zoom
12MP still resolution
2X optical zoom
Go 4 or DJI Pilot?

12MP still resolution

Thanks!
Calhoun Ranger
d.b.a. NW GA Drone Guy
You are a little late to the party. The Mavic 2 Pro was on sale at $350 off during most of December, with an additional 15% off from djidroneservice.com . However, it is still your best upgrade, coming from the MP, and is currently discounted to $1499 from DJI and djidroneservice.com with an additional discount code for forum members. Ask them for the Forum member price.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
I have tried to initiate a purchase through DJI, but got no response to their automated request system. What purchase avenue do any of you recommend? I am thinking of trying B&H Photo . . . any experiences good or bad with them?

Dji on website, all my drones

Unlike DJI, djidroneservice.com charges no sales tax on out of state sales.
Things might have changed but when I purchased the Zoom from DJI I did not pay sales tax. One of the reasons I did not go with Amazon. WA state and, again, things might have changed in a little over a year.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78