DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Precision Landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I flew for a good hour today. Landed a good bunch of times after flying 1 mile out and back. Landing is On-spot. I have the latest firmware update

I didn't see the checkbox either which almost made me angry thinking PL wasn't there. But on landing, I did see it correct it's position do I knew it was working. 2nd time I saw it display PL as it started to land.
It's neat to see it reorient itself to same direction it launched.

Next is to see if it works in low light with landing lights, but that's a different topic.

I didn't see the checkbox either which almost made me angry thinking PL wasn't there. But on landing, I did see it correct it's position do I knew it was working. 2nd time I saw it display PL as it started to land.
It's neat to see it reorient itself to same direction it launched.

Next is to see if it works in low light with landing lights, but that's a different topic.

I think one thing we can say now from the experience on many is that during a PL the heading will realign itself with the T/O heading and a “precision landing” caption will be displayed during the descent, I think mine also said something like acquiring landing point.

If the rain stops in “sunny Cornwall” I’ll do a few more manual T/Os later today

My 10x RTH test consisted of 1 auto take off and 9 manual take offs with different heights. All landed inside 32 inch helipad. Try slow vertical takeoff at the same height as auto take off. My homepoint gets recorded as soon as I reach above 2 feet. It helps to have a landing pad with a pattern.

Speedy, did your 9 manuals realign heading before starting descent and display PL14 caption during landing?

If the rain stops in “sunny Cornwall” I’ll do a few more manual T/Os later today [/QUOTE said:
Thick fog over here on the east coast:mad: no flying to try out PL, never mind.. always another day I suppose ;)

There's a lot of misinformation and confusion evident in some of the posts in this thread.
Some posters aren't ever going to accept facts but if you don't have a closed mind, here as a little clarification.

Calibrating ANY electronic instrument, anytime you suspect it may be out of tolerance, is good practice.
Calibrating your compass doesn't adjust it's precision.
Calibrating the compass identifies and measures the magnetic fields around the drone so it can ignore those that are part of the drone.
As long as your drone is flying straight and hovering without slowly spiraling, there's no need to recalibrate the compass.
(Except for the Mavic 2 because DJI have added something to the firmware that makes you do it every 30 days, but the reason for this is a mystery).

You are confusing the IMU with the compass.
And you've somehow confused calibrating the compass with setting a home point (which has nothing at all to do with the compass).
There's no need to recalibrate the compass because you move 25 miles or even 2500 miles.

You have to realise that there's a great deal of misunderstanding, myth and ignorance about the compass and what calibrating it actually does or when it might be needed.
Nonsense.
Exhibit A
People that calibrate every flight don't know what calibrating the compass does and use it as a superstitious ritual, hoping it brings good flying luck.
They would fly a lot safer if they understood how their drone and it's compass works.
Wait until your first flyaway.
That's exactly what someone that calibrates their compass without understanding what they are doing would say.
Multiple recalibration doesn't increase the probability of a "flyaway".
But failure to understand how your Mavic works does.
FYI .. I fly professionally, many flights per week and I've not calibrated anything on my main drone that's over two years old.
How long should I wait for the first "flyaway"?

Hey guys- I just calibrated the IMU in my car. The GPS is so much more precise now.
Sorry but the IMU is completely unrelated to the IMU.
There's nothing you can do that will improve your GPS precision.

I don’t. Occasionally it’s shows I need to recalibrate my compass
All you need to get back is the GPS.
Not quite true.
The GPS gives position data but without the the direction input from the compass, the drone can't get back to anywhere.

Go back to the elementary training videos, at DJI, and Compass Calibration is stressed as good practice, which is only logica
And that can all be traced back to incorrect imformation given by DJI in early manuals (and many since).
DJI have finally corrected this in the P4 pro manual but they aren't very good at correcting their documentation.
since the compass is affected by nearby masses of magnetic metals, or fluctuations in the magnetic field, even the amount of iron in the soil. Even though your quad may have no changes, all these other variables change from place to place. I don't take any unnecessary chances with my expensive drone. Calibration is SUCH any easy task, and is NO trouble to me, at all. It's well worth the piece of mind. Why do you think real pilots do checklists and are constantly checking instruments and doing visual inspections? You're talking to an USAF Veteran.
This is all based on a flawed idea of what calibrating the compass does.
Yes, there are fluctuations in magnetic fields and that's what a compass measures.
There's no need to do anything to the compass to make it read correctly.

I think one thing we can say now from the experience on many is that during a PL the heading will realign itself with the T/O heading and a “precision landing” caption will be displayed during the descent, I think mine also said something like acquiring landing point.

If the rain stops in “sunny Cornwall” I’ll do a few more manual T/Os later today

Speedy, did your 9 manuals realign heading before starting descent and display PL14 caption during landing?
Yup, it displayed the message briefly each time. Since my test was for PL, i only went as far as 20 meters at an altitude of less than 30 meters and watched my screen. I believe it has the same orientation when it lands. It is part of the VPS part of the PL I think. My main test was to see what height has the most accurate landing. Vertical take off to 10 meters is my routine for all my drones. My RTH altitude is set to 30 but I had the option selected to RTH at current altitude. PL testing is the only time I get to use my landing pad. I hand catch most of the time.

There's a lot of misinformation and confusion evident in some of the posts in this thread.
Some posters aren't ever going to accept facts but if you don't have a closed mind, here as a little clarification.

Calibrating your compass doesn't adjust it's precision.
Calibrating the compass identifies and measures the magnetic fields around the drone so it can ignore those that are part of the drone.
As long as your drone is flying straight and hovering without slowly spiraling, there's no need to recalibrate the compass.
(Except for the Mavic 2 because DJI have added something to the firmware that makes you do it every 30 days, but the reason for this is a mystery).

Exhibit A
People that calibrate every flight don't know what calibrating the compass does and use it as a superstitious ritual, hoping it brings good flying luck.
They would fly a lot safer if they understood how their drone and it's compass works.

That's exactly what someone that calibrates their compass without understanding what they are doing would say.
Multiple recalibration doesn't increase the probability of a "flyaway".
But failure to understand how your Mavic works does.
FYI .. I fly professionally, many flights per week and I've not calibrated anything on my main drone that's over two years old.
How long should I wait for the first "flyaway"?

Sorry but the IMU is completely unrelated to the IMU.
There's nothing you can do that will improve your GPS precision.

Not quite true.
The GPS gives position data but without the the direction input from the compass, the drone can't get back to anywhere.

And that can all be traced back to incorrect imformation given by DJI in early manuals (and many since).
DJI have finally corrected this in the P4 pro manual but they aren't very good at correcting their documentation.

This is all based on a flawed idea of what calibrating the compass does.
Yes, there are fluctuations in magnetic fields and that's what a compass measures.
There's no need to do anything to the compass to make it read correctly.

My post about calibrating an IMU in the car for “more accurate GPS” was written facetiously.

Thanks! Last word. :)

First post....PL works perfectly!
Yesterday, I downloaded the updates etc all went smooth using Assistance 2 and took it up for its first flight with the updates. Like you the PL was superb. I received no notices on takeoff like others have. I flew it out aways over our lake. Hit RTH and it started on its way back. It wasn't until overhead that the drone rotated that I knew the updates worked. On decent it was a little to the left off my takeoff spot but shortly thereafter it adjusted its decent path and landed perfected at its takeoff spot. Most impressive!. Bryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa