DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro — Loose Arm

MMMCCCXXXIII

Reactions
Hello guys,

So I've just got my Mavic 2 Pro, and noticed that one arm is loose. Especially if comparing to the other arm, you can see it clearly.

The play is even worse when folded.

Can anyone please chime in about this, and if anyone has this too?

Thanks!

YouTube Video

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
This is normal. The arms are loose when folded and sometimes loose when extended. Most arms bang into the frame when folded, another flaw.

I have logged a few (hundred) flights already on different M2's, and some had loose arms and some had tight ones. Neither of them caused any problems in flight or storage. One caveat; after a crash, if the arm is loose, and overextending upwards, it probably needs to be replaced.

One important point to take note of, especially people transitioning from the MP to M2. The M2 no longer has rear arm joint flaps like the MP or MPP had. The M2 arm flaps have been integrated into the top body, and the top body is what stops the arms from overextending upwards. With the MP, if the arms overextended, the flap would break, and the arm or simply the arm joint would need to be replaced. Now, if the rear arm overextends, the top body gets a nice little crease in it that is permanent damage, and the interior arm joint breaks as well. So in many cases, if you crash, and your rear arm gets bent upwards, you are looking at a new top body, and a whole new arm.

I guess that was one way for DJI to fix the constant problem of broken rear arm flaps, but they cured it with a worse and more expensive problem.

Last edited:
Right, that makes total sense.
I actually do think that the new MP2 arm flaps upgrade is a step up.

So basically if one of my arms is more loose than the other, it's normal, and nothing to worry about?
It's the right arm that is loose and giving much more play in folded, or extended positions.

Because I've been in contact with the DJI, they saw the video, and they're asking me to get in touch with support, and that means sending in the unit for repairs, or replacement.
I really don't want to deal with this, as this is a brand new out of the box unit.

Thanks for the reply bud.

Right, that makes total sense.
I actually do think that the new MP2 arm flaps upgrade is a step up.

So basically if one of my arms is more loose than the other, it's normal, and nothing to worry about?
It's the right arm that is loose and giving much more play in folded, or extended positions.

Because I've been in contact with the DJI, they saw the video, and they're asking me to get in touch with support, and that means sending in the unit for repairs, or replacement.
I really don't want to deal with this, as this is a brand new out of the box unit.

Thanks for the reply bud.

This might sound crude, but if it flies straight, the arm is not coming out of the socket as-in detaching, its not making any noises, and the prop is not striking the battery when the prop is rotating, you will probably be fine. On the other hand, if a pilot flies WOT, hits the brakes, and rears it up like a cobra, it might not be the best thing with an arm thats on the loose side. Under normal, prudent, smooth flight conditions, it will probably fly and fold for years without a problem.

The MP also had a problem with the arm joints not being symmetrical on some drones. Sometimes the RR was up to 1mm off from the LR. Did this cause any accidents? Probably not. But for OC people, it kept them awake at night because the joints were not evenly spaced. :rolleyes:

Yup, you got it on point with OC people, that's me! :oops:

As for the flying, I usually do like to hit the sports mode, and sometimes that includes hitting the brakes hard too!

So I really don't know what to do at this point, it feels about the same as the order arm, the tension is good when unfolded.

I guess I will try to live with it, and your words encouraged me! :cool:

Personally I don’t think that is acceptable

I kind of agree with you, this is the reason I started this thread.
But then again, I really don't want to deal with any repairs, returns, or exchanges too, it's a mixed bag. As the replacement unit may have a tilted horizon issue... Or something else!

Just need more MP2 owners to reply, as it seems like it is normal.

@MMMCCCXXXIII you might also want to consider prop guards. The extra weight of the prop guards will force the arm down while flying, and reduce the risk of a prop-battery strike. Some leg extenders might also be your best friend with a loose arm, especially the ones that attach to the bottom plate to support the rear.

When my son got his Phantom 4, the gimbal was broken and there were scratches on the unit. I remember him telling me that DJI didn't have the best reputation for customer service. He sent it back and they sent him another which was fine.

I waited for the 2 Pro because I wanted a larger sensor and a foldable design. I was expecting the same kind of issues but my unit arrived in perfect condition. Arms are equally tight and I've had no issues with the unit at all. I have noticed the poor design that has the legs rubbing up against the body of the unit.

I think the technology is amazing. I worked in film video and photography for most of my life. The fact that you can get shots with a prosumer or inexpensive Pro drone which in the past you would have to hire a helicopter at $5,000 an hour blows my mind. I expect something as complex to have teething issues.

However if the unit I purchased arrived with something obviously out of whack, I would send it right back. If the issue becomes worse, you may have no recourse later. It seems like they've offered you a fix?

But then again, I really don't want to deal with any repairs, returns, or exchanges too, it's a mixed bag. As the replacement unit may have a tilted horizon issue... Or something else!

You spent a lot of money, it should be perfect it off the box.

First original firmware horizon is perfect for me no matter how many times I go left or right over 15 flights. Second firmware horizon is good starting up but when you turn left or right I had issues. I did two IMU calibrations still didn't help. Downgraded firmware didn't even have to calibrate IMU my horizon is good again. M2 Pro. This is for me at least just my input others maybe different.

When my son got his Phantom 4, the gimbal was broken and there were scratches on the unit. I remember him telling me that DJI didn't have the best reputation for customer service. He sent it back and they sent him another which was fine.

I waited for the 2 Pro because I wanted a larger sensor and a foldable design. I was expecting the same kind of issues but my unit arrived in perfect condition. Arms are equally tight and I've had no issues with the unit at all. I have noticed the poor design that has the legs rubbing up against the body of the unit.

I think the technology is amazing. I worked in film video and photography for most of my life. The fact that you can get shots with a prosumer or inexpensive Pro drone which in the past you would have to hire a helicopter at $5,000 an hour blows my mind. I expect something as complex to have teething issues.

However if the unit I purchased arrived with something obviously out of whack, I would send it right back. If the issue becomes worse, you may have no recourse later. It seems like they've offered you a fix?

I had to send in my P4 2 times when I first got it... Everything settled good on my 3rd replacement unit. Looks like I'm just lucky with DJI, but good to know I'm not alone! :D

The MP2 camera is trully amazing, and I'm just in love with this machine.

As for the fix, they saw the video, and are now asking me to contact DJI Support in Netherlands, I'm based in Europe.

Really don't want to deal with this again, just remembering the P4 experience makes me dizzy.

Hello guys,

So I've just got my Mavic 2 Pro, and noticed that one arm is loose. Especially if comparing to the other arm, you can see it clearly.

The play is even worse when folded.

Can anyone please chime in about this, and if anyone has this too?

Thanks!

YouTube Video

I have this exact same issue. Glad I’m not alone. I never crashed any of my drones but once it was windy in the mountains on uneven terrain trying to land on my pad with stakes and a couple blades knocked a stake while reviving down after landing. I was afraid that caused it but didn’t believe so.

In greater detail, the issue is the rear right arms is 1mm lower than the left when sitting down. When you lay it flat it is sitting on two fins under the read sensors, not the rear arms. The left rear arms does not touch the ground on flat surface but is close. The right rear arm appears to be touching the surface. It would seem the mechanism that holds the arm up to the rubber stopper works but is short 1mm... it appears to be identical to you.

Now I’m near sure this does not affect flight performance as the blades are always pulling up making up for this negligable issue. Then again, if it’s the sort of spring folding mechanism that keeps it in place isn’t tight enough, then it could be an issue. I was debating tightening the screw there but like you, this is my baby and it has to be perfect.

Does this match up to you? What did they do for you and how did it turn out?

I have this exact same issue. Glad I’m not alone. I never crashed any of my drones but once it was windy in the mountains on uneven terrain trying to land on my pad with stakes and a couple blades knocked a stake while reviving down after landing. I was afraid that caused it but didn’t believe so.

In greater detail, the issue is the rear right arms is 1mm lower than the left when sitting down. When you lay it flat it is sitting on two fins under the read sensors, not the rear arms. The left rear arms does not touch the ground on flat surface but is close. The right rear arm appears to be touching the surface. It would seem the mechanism that holds the arm up to the rubber stopper works but is short 1mm... it appears to be identical to you.

Now I’m near sure this does not affect flight performance as the blades are always pulling up making up for this negligable issue. Then again, if it’s the sort of spring folding mechanism that keeps it in place isn’t tight enough, then it could be an issue. I was debating tightening the screw there but like you, this is my baby and it has to be perfect.

Does this match up to you? What did they do for you and how did it turn out?

Do not tighten that screw! Its held on by a very flimsy piece of material and if you overtighten it, it will strip very easily. Im not sure what country you are in, but if it's bothering you to see it that way, you should have the arm replaced.

Do not tighten that screw! Its held on by a very flimsy piece of material and if you overtighten it, it will strip very easily. Im not sure what country you are in, but if it's bothering you to see it that way, you should have the arm replaced.

Haha! Thank you for the reply. Good to know! I certainly won’t be tightening it. And yes I’m in the US

I have the same "problem". Both rear arms have a little space for movement when folded out. On the left side a little bit more than on the right side.

I think its probably just an summation of production tolerances. It looks well assembled and works very good.

I will observe it, and think as long there is no change, everthing is fine.

Flex in aircraft is by design. Here's an example. (Turn your volume down first)

If flex doesnt have a negative effect on the angle of incidence and angle of attack, flex is a good thing to have.

Last edited:
UPDATE

I have already returned the drone to DJI, and they have sent me a new one, sealed from the factory.
Not only the gap, but one of the arms had a wiggle.

I have repaired scores of Mavic 2's already, and I can tell you that EVERY SINGLE ONE has a wiggle in the arm, and a gap in the arm.

NORMAL!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven