DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro 4K FOV and 4K HQ - any improvements in quality since the release?

Interesting point of view. But this "pixel peeping" was done with exact knowledge of what is being done. ;)

Of course if you cannot optically distinguish between 4K and 2.7k, and watch your videos on 1080p Monitor with the media crunched by Youtube, it will make no difference.
But if you use your footage for nature documentations shown in cinemas, you can clearly see the difference. Therefore the disappointment about the 4K FOV lie by DJI can be understood.

But coming back to the original question. The picture quality of the Mavic 2 Pro is clearly better than the quality of the Mavic 1.
If your shooting footage to be shown in cinemas you probably won’t be flying a Mavic or any of DJI’s hobby grade drones.

How the equipment performs in a laboratory is less important to most people than the other factors that contribute to the finished product.

My point was simply that people shouldn’t be discouraged from buying a M2P based solely on all the complaining about the performance.

If your shooting footage to be shown in cinemas you probably won’t be flying a Mavic or any of DJI’s hobby grade drones.

How the equipment performs in a laboratory is less important to most people than the other factors that contribute to the finished product.

My point was simply that people shouldn’t be discouraged from buying a M2P based solely on all the complaining about the performance.

I own now a Mavic Pro 1 first generation and two Phantom 3. What could decide me to upgrade to a Mavic 2P would be a major improvment of image quality and/or video capabilities such as 4K 60p. It appears that this is not the case and that the differences between these two drones are hardly visible after post-treatment.
The point is that beside the price of the drone itself there is no compatibility between the 1 and the 2 and that you have to buy again all the stuff such as batteries, filters, car charger, carriying case and so on. This rises the price of the M2P to about 2000 € and I think that it doesn't worth it.
Furtermore, the problem of shaky videos at waypoints (both with Litchi and Go4) seems not being yet resolved in the Mavic 2 and this is a "no buy" to me.

Therefore the disappointment about the 4K FOV lie by DJI can be understood.

I don't love how they implemented it, but what did DJI lie about? 4K FOV is still 4K, even if they get there by (unfortunately) subsampling.

I don't love how they implemented it, but what did DJI lie about? 4K FOV is still 4K, even if they get there by (unfortunately) subsampling.

They just lie about FOV. But to be honest, is you multiply 2.7 K by two, you should obtain around 5K and be absolutely right about the final (calculated) resolution is...

Well, yes we are actuality using the Mavic 2 Pro. And yes I'd rather have a Red flying. But without the support of a production company or film-fund, this is far out of budget. Additionally we are making nature films in remote locations where every Gramm counts on your hike there...

Here are the trailers of or last film, although the Areals of it were shot with a Mavic 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: WithTheBirds
Well, yes we are actuality using the Mavic 2 Pro. And yes I'd rather have a Red flying. But without the support of a production company or film-fund, this is far out of budget. Additionally we are making nature films in remote locations where every Gramm counts on your hike there...

Here are the trailers of or last film, although the Areals of it were shot with a Mavic 1.
You have some beautifully produced footage there- thank you for sharing. I would be happy if I was half way to that standard, it’s inspiring.

And that is my point- it’s is the end result that is important. most who are principally interested in in shooting test charts and arguing about comparisons at the pixel level will never produce product to that standard.

My P4’s get little use now I have the M2P. I take it where I would think twice about hiking to the the phantoms. The video performance differences are not the significant limitation that many are suggesting.

Reactions: Sockeye
Ok so after selling my good old Mavic (1) yesterday a decision has been made: the M2P will be my next drone. Let's hope DJI improves the firmware further...

EDIT: Here it is ?

Thank you for all the support in the last few weeks!

Last edited:
I had a quick look at your videos not with a 4K screen but with RGB setting) and they are excellent.
Apparently, your Mavic also suffers from this tilted horizon problem but it looks much less important than mine (sometimes, I have to correct by more than +/- 2°). View attachment 73376

That's a pity DJI was not able to fix this issue. Otherwise, the Mavic 1 would be a great machine with a pretty decent camera.

That is Neuschwanstein in Germany.

Where did you launch for that shot?

The paths around the castle are narrow and often crowded?

I took off at a safe distance about 1km away from the castle (on the main access road coming from the north).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan