DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro, Autel Evo II or Mavic 3?

I have been flying Typhoon H's and for the last year and a half a Typhoon H Plus. The H Plus has a fantastic camera but has limitations in it's use, (no aperture control, little to no time-lapse capability, very large and bulky . . . etc) I wanted to get a compact system with a camera that was on par with a C23 but I also wanted a proven system. These days everything is 'Pie in the Sky' on the front end, and it is not until they've been out a while that we get to see what is what.

I spent several months debating between the same choices as the OP and when I got right down to it, the EVO II (small sensor) seems to me; to be a gimmick, and some of the video I have viewed seem to bare that out. But beyond that, even if the camera is as good as the MP2 - what do we know about it operationally? And the Mavic 3? Same thing.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The Mavic 2 Pro (to me) is the bird in the hand - it is a known system, with a great little camera, solid connectivity and its small and portable. I picked mine up a couple weeks back and am confident now that it was the right choice. If the Mavic 3 and/or the Evo 2 comes out tomorrow, I will still feel the same way.

A lot of great feedback here and has helped me decide. I am going to move forward with the M2P next. I mostly do photo/video work and that 1" sensor will be a real benefit. The NFZ lock is a good thing as it makes you follow your check list before flying. My MP has been doing really well and not really limiting but looking to expand.

Reactions: dorgs and Paulf10
A lot of great feedback here and has helped me decide. I am going to move forward with the M2P next. I mostly do photo/video work and that 1" sensor will be a real benefit. The NFZ lock is a good thing as it makes you follow your check list before flying. My MP has been doing really well and not really limiting but looking to expand.
You can get approval through the FAA’s DroneZone for these NFZs in many cases. I have one for 2 years for my main practice/experimentation area. This area is in the edges of NFZs for 2 airports... a local and a regional commercial hub.

Reactions: Paulf10
On one hand I really like DJI and the camera on the M2Pro, however the Evo2 has some really great new features like the 48 MP camera.
Do I really need a 48 MP camera ?
Watch the video I linked in post #7 before you jump for the 48MP camera.
It's not what the number suggests.

You can get approval through the FAA’s DroneZone for these NFZs in many cases. I have one for 2 years for my main practice/experimentation area. This area is in the edges of NFZs for 2 airports... a local and a regional commercial hub.
Still getting up to speed with DJI's latest GEO. Don't you still require separate approval for unlocks from DJI, to be able to fly close to, and into NFZ's, even with the 2 year FAA approval? If so, what was the process to get such approval from DJI, and must it be implemented and bypassed on every launch?

You have to get authorization from FAADoneZone or through LAANC. Not all airports are part of the instant system yet. Once you have authorization then you have to do a simple or custom unlock at the DJI website. You can do unlocks at flight time but if I am on a job I am going to do that the night before. FAA is taking about 48 hours to approve in the SouthEast.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Still getting up to speed with DJI's latest GEO. Don't you still require separate approval for unlocks from DJI, to be able to fly close to, and into NFZ's, even with the 2 year FAA approval? If so, what was the process to get such approval from DJI, and must it be implemented and bypassed on every launch?
No DJI approval was/is needed. I have never applied to DJI or sent them any info. My 2 year approval was done solely with FAA DroneZone. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Watch the video I linked in post #7 before you jump for the 48MP camera.
It's not what the number suggests.
Great Video! Very interesting and informative. Do you have a You Tube Channel you could send me a link to?

This video (not mine) does a fair job of comparing video quality of the Autel Evo 2 against the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom. It's not very in depth or scientific but it gives some decent comparison footage.

Reactions: Paulf10
Thanks for that video totally backed up what I just said. What I said applied to a real 48 megapixel Sensor and this isn’t even that.
So far not even close to competition for DJI

I would like to see some comparisons after color grading. Just using "auto" settings on both is not a good comparison IMO.

They will be releasing a 1" sensor model (don't know when) and that should take care of any remaining competition... just the fact that you can change out the cameras is a great open ended feature, who knows what other cameras will be available in the future. Many times I've upgraded the whole aircraft just for the camera... with Autel you will be able to just get the camera. To me that is huge.

Already having the entire Phantom line, Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 and numerous other brands and given DJI's history of changing everything for every model (batteries, camera lens size etc - NOTHING can be used for another DJI product) I'm looking very strongly at the Autel Evo 2 :)

So I am ready to add a new bird. I am debating if I should add Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom now, Wait for the Autel Evo II or wait for the eventual release of the Mavic 3. I don't know what the Mavic 3 will bring but it will have Geo Fencing. I spoke to the folks at Autel and they are now looking at a March release. Evo II will have interchangeable cameras, which I really like. The first camera released is still going to be a 1/2.3, not 1". It will be 48 MP and no Geo Fencing. Mavic 2 just works. What are your thoughts?
Interchangeable camera? I'm in!

Interchangeable camera? I'm in!
Autel is big on announcing things, but not so good on actually delivering them.
Many people have been let down by Autel and their tales of 1 inch sensor cameras.
In January 2017 Autel announced that they were going to bring out a 1 inch sensor camera for their X-Star drones.
They were never released.
In January 2018 they announced the Autel Evo and said it was coming out with two cameras including one with a 1 inch sensor.
They even showed off a prototype of the camera (or perhaps it was just a dummy camera?).
The Evo finally was available 7 months later.
In July 2018 they were saying the 1 inch sensor camera would be coming out "soon".
It's never been released.
In January 2020 Autel announced the Evo 2, to be available around the end of January.
They also wheeled out the well-worn 1 inch sensor story.
The estimated release date quickly blew out to sometime in March.

Will the fabled Autel 1 inch sensor camera appear this time?
I don't know but I'd wait to see it arrive before I'd get too excited about it.

Autel is big on announcing things, but not so good on actually delivering them.
Many people have been let down by Autel and their tales of 1 inch sensor cameras.
In January 2017 Autel announced that they were going to bring out a 1 inch sensor camera for their X-Star drones.
They were never released.
In January 2018 they announced the Autel Evo and said it was coming out with two cameras including one with a 1 inch sensor.
They even showed off a prototype of the camera (or perhaps it was just a dummy camera?).
The Evo finally was available 7 months later.
In July 2018 they were saying the 1 inch sensor camera would be coming out "soon".
It's never been released.
In January 2020 Autel announced the Evo 2, to be available around the end of January.
They also wheeled out the well-worn 1 inch sensor story.
The estimated release date quickly blew out to sometime in March.

Will the fabled Autel 1 inch sensor camera appear this time?
I don't know but I'd wait to see it arrive before I'd get too excited about it.
Amen to that!

I know of another real estate photographer who went from Spark to M2P. He’s in great demand in Michigan. Business took off. He spent money to make money. The M2P will work for you ...

What about the Mavic Pro holds you back now?
I have Mavic Pro Platinum and an Evo 1 and to be honest with you... I am more than happy with them. I am not a pro with commercial license to operate. I only fly for fun and the camera quality is more than what I need.

Bill the drone reviewer put out of a short video stating that he heard from reliable sources that DJI is not going to put out a put out a mavic3 in 2020. I suggest getting a Mavic two pro. You can’t go wrong
I'm still thinking about the Autel Evo II mostly due to the 360 sensors and long life battery. Seems like the best option for me

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54