DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro, Autel Evo II or Mavic 3?

vsasolutions

Reactions
Site
vsasolutions.com
So I am ready to add a new bird. I am debating if I should add Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom now, Wait for the Autel Evo II or wait for the eventual release of the Mavic 3. I don't know what the Mavic 3 will bring but it will have Geo Fencing. I spoke to the folks at Autel and they are now looking at a March release. Evo II will have interchangeable cameras, which I really like. The first camera released is still going to be a 1/2.3, not 1". It will be 48 MP and no Geo Fencing. Mavic 2 just works. What are your thoughts?

what are you flying now may i ask

what you upgrade too really depends on the specific use you have for your new UAV
the technology moves at such a fast pace that products are out of date in a very short time after release
personally i would wait to see what the new upcoming rules are going to be before you commit to a new drone

Tough decision.
I keep waiting for FAA to mandate the same flying restrictions (via operating software) on other makes as they have for DJI drones... gotta happen sooner or later.
well we agree on that then

Reactions: Thomas B
I cant wait for some real world reviews on the Evo2. The you tube influencers have done their part and created the buzz but once it gets in the publics hands we will really know if its any good. I could care less about the 8k and I suspect it wont get good marks once its reviewed by the rest of the drone community but I am interested in the FLIR models if they ever get released. Im happy to see DJI finally get some real competition though. Its a win for everybody.

Tough decision.
I keep waiting for FAA to mandate the same flying restrictions (via operating software) on other makes as they have for DJI drones... gotta happen sooner or later.

This is what I've been wondering as well since it's not DJI who decide the NFZ's, they're simply enforcing the rules and I've been surprised Autel can seem to release a drone that doesn't comply with them at all. I realise it's still up to the operator where it flies but in times of increasing scrutiny on drones it seems odd that a company can ignore the rules entirely.

Personally if I was looking at a new drone now and didn't need it urgently I would be waiting to see how the Autel release is before making a choice. As it is I have a Mavic 2 Pro which I bought at launch and never regretted and nothing I've seen of the new drones would tempt me to upgrade.

John

This is what I've been wondering as well since it's not DJI who decide the NFZ's, they're simply enforcing the rules and I've been surprised Autel can seem to release a drone that doesn't comply with them at all. I realise it's still up to the operator where it flies but in times of increasing scrutiny on drones it seems odd that a company can ignore the rules entirely.
It's the same as car manufacturers being free to make cars that are capable of exceeding speed limits, and owners are the ones responsible for complying with speed limits.
DJI voluntarily implemented NFZ observance in their drones.

Autel has previously copied rather than innovated and released their drones to the market some time after the drones they copied.
Their marketing identified a sector of the market that resents DJI's NFZ implentation and has used their lack of NFZ as a selling point to differentiate their products.
How their next drones turn out remains to be seen.
Will they have developed something new and better or are they still just following DJI's lead and emphasising small differences for marketing purposes?

I don't really like to buy a drone unless it's been on the market for about a year. That way I can see how it really performs and buy it when the prices are a little more reasonable.

It's the same as car manufacturers being free to make cars that are capable of exceeding speed limits, and owners are the ones responsible for complying with speed limits.
DJI voluntarily implemented NFZ observance in their drones.

Autel has previously copied rather than innovated and released their drones to the market some time after the drones they copied.
Their marketing identified a sector of the market that resents DJI's NFZ implentation and has used their lack of NFZ as a selling point to differentiate their products.
How their next drones turn out remains to be seen.
Will they have developed something new and better or are they still just following DJI's lead and emphasizing small differences for marketing purposes?
All Autel drones sold in the United States already contain all NFZ's, and display an onscreen warning, blocking FPV, that cannot be disabled throughout the flight within any such NFZ. However, Autel still currently allows you to fly in the NFZ's with that unremovable warning on the screen. Oddly, the NFZ's are not visible on any map while flying to allow one to stay clear of them. Should the FAA mandate NFZ's on all drones, Autel has stated they will simply flip a switch to activate flight prohibition in those already embedded NFZ's on all their previously sold drones, just like they already do in China, which mandates it. As you said, it's all about marketing spin.

Autel also pretends to be an American company, but, in fact, they merely have a very small support office (6 employees at last count) in Seattle staffed by locals, and the company itself is just as Chinese as DJI. Even the Seattle staff laugh at the marketing impression that they are a large American company, while complaining about how understaffed they really are, and they aren't really authorized to do much of anything without talking to China first, and it can take weeks for them to get any response! They are grossly underfunded, and spend far more money on marketing than on innovation!

Last edited:
So I am ready to add a new bird. I am debating if I should add Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom now, Wait for the Autel Evo II or wait for the eventual release of the Mavic 3. I don't know what the Mavic 3 will bring but it will have Geo Fencing. I spoke to the folks at Autel and they are now looking at a March release. Evo II will have interchangeable cameras, which I really like. The first camera released is still going to be a 1/2.3, not 1". It will be 48 MP and no Geo Fencing. Mavic 2 just works. What are your thoughts?
Bill the drone reviewer put out of a short video stating that he heard from reliable sources that DJI is not going to put out a put out a mavic3 in 2020. I suggest getting a Mavic two pro. You can’t go wrong

My friend albeit I am new to this forum but I am trying to help you with your decision. First off you are dealing with tech, which changes rapidly, so what may be in today will soon be yesterday’s news. Purchase what YOU like the most and not what some drone reviewer who knows absolutely nothing about busses. Because business is what it comes down to. The almighty inflated dollar. Good luck with your choice and follow your heart. You will be fine with that.

Reactions: Paulf10
What about the Mavic Pro holds you back now?

I understand exactly what you mean as I am in the same position as you. On one hand I really like DJI and the camera on the M2Pro, however the Evo2 has some really great new features like the 48 MP camera, no Geo Fencing, and extended flight time. As for the Mavic 3 I don’t really consider that because its a complete unknown as far as what it will be and when it will be released.

I think what Old Man Mavic said...
“what you upgrade too really depends on the specific use you have for your new UAV” is something I really need to think about! I think it’s great advice! Up until now I’ve only been thinking about not wanting to be regretting a purchase because I couldn’t wait a few more weeks.

I only have 87 flights and to be honest I have a whole lot I need to learn and improve upon. Do I really need a 48 MP camera or extended flight times? I need to learn more about post editing, flight planning and photography a lot more. I live within 5 miles of an Air National Gaurd and Regional Airport and to be honest unlocking is not that much of a problem. I don’t like it, but I’ve learned to live with it.

I would never buy a drone that hasn’t been on the market for at least one year.
So that rules out a mythical Mavic three for at least two years.
Hi megapixels are marketing ploy as they come with a cost - much lower high ISO performance.
This is just a matter of physics smaller pixels on the camera sensor gather less light.
Also High mega pixels amplify camera shake so you may end up with the same effective resolution as the 20 megapixel In terms of sharpness.
Since for the most part you will be posting your pictures on the web of what possible use is that? Dynamic range is much more important as is the quality of electronics.
The Sony sensor with a hassleblade processor works pretty well.
Plus who knows what the actual quality of that sensor is. I’d wait to see an actual review and I don’t mean a “Oh it looks great” YouTube type of review I mean actual specifications.
The Mavic two is well tested and seems very solid. Nothing is perfect but the Mavic two is pretty darn good.
So as you can see for me there really wasn’t a choice.

Autel is aiming for the buyers that are easily dazzled by big numbers.
Jump to 7:02 to get to the important info.
Thanks for that video totally backed up what I just said. What I said applied to a real 48 megapixel Sensor and this isn’t even that.
So far not even close to competition for DJI

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky