DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Fly indoors in a class C - DJI Geofence Unlocked

James W

Reactions
I am developing lessons where my Mavic 2 Pro flies indoors in the gymnasium of my school. The building is in a Geofence and FAA Class C area. I have obtained written, long term permission to fly in the area through Part 107, and DJI has created unlocks for my buddy box system. I can fly outside instantly. But I am curious as to why no GPS deactivates when the map clearly puts me in an unlocked area?
I understand the warnings for flying indoors. However, this lesson is specifically to teach students how to proceed through checklists on the device. I want to use it to teach process, not flying. I learned that the Beginner Mode may force GPS use. Could that have been the cause? I am new to the Mavic 2 Pro, but have been flying for years with an Air.

To clarify, are you getting GPS at all (not enough satellites) indoors or you do get a GPS but blocked by NFZ?

Assuming problem is bad GPS signal:

GPS doesn't do well indoors for drones. If you do get GPS, it may be unstable. If it cuts in and out, it could cause an unstable flight. That's why I wish they had a way to turn off GPS.

VPS works well when GPS is lacking but you are limited in height to about 15ft when in VPS/Vision mode.

If the aircraft doesn't know where it is, it cannot know it's still in the unlocked area. It's kinda normal for it to "fail safe".

Reactions: mbre
If GPS is lost, then AC will revert to ATTI or VPS mode. No "failsafe" to not fly, because as you said, it can't know where it is. Except it might be able to get location from phone GPS for go/no-go. I don't think it does though.

I know I have been delayed being allowed to take off which I attributed to lack of GPS lock, but really it was because IMU wasn't ready. Last time it said "cannot fly", I attempted anyway and that's when it said attitude not being received by IMU.

FAA only controls the Skys not inside. But I bet it will be a pain because of DJI... Hello H520

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi