Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

Mavic 2 Pro Gets LIGHTS - Strobe Style

ADMR1985

Reaction score

Thomas B

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Have you requested them to send you a copy of the FAA approval letter... while the strobe is a good light.... I bet they don’t have one.
This has proven to be the case with multiple aftermarket lights for drones in the past. Seem manufacturers read FAA requirements, do their own testing, and then call FAA approved.

old man mavic

Fly safe,Fly responsibly,Fly happy
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
it looks like a copy of the anti collision light made by Lume Cube, which lume cube claim to be approved by the FAA

Reactions: ADMR1985

ADMR1985

Reaction score
Have you requested them to send you a copy of the FAA approval letter... while the strobe is a good light.... I bet they don’t have one.
This has proven to be the case with multiple aftermarket lights for drones in the past. Seem manufacturers read FAA requirements, do their own testing, and then call FAA approved.
i havnt but now you have said this i think i should ask them. Thanks for the advice, i guess im just too trusting haha

Reactions: Thomas B

old man mavic

Fly safe,Fly responsibly,Fly happy
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
hmmm, so when you say claim, is that not actually approved?
on their uk site they say that the anti collision light unit is the only one that meats the FAA requirements with a 3 mile range in low light

Thomas B

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
on their uk site they say that the anti collision light unit is the only one that meats the FAA requirements with a 3 mile range in low light
I’d still email support and ask for proof. Other companies have claimed the same thing, but proved only to be their testing w/o any formal FAA approval... just saying.

MAvic_South_Oz

Reaction score
Adelaide, South Australia, the great southern land
Wow, they say they are better than FHT ARCIIs for example ?
I'd find that pretty incredible to imagine, especially as the Lumecube is generally a top mount strobe !!

Does FAA really say a drone has to be visible for 3 miles ? (edit > at night)
That's like nearly 5km, seems like it could be normal for aircraft perhaps, but drones ?

I know, anything flying at night should have the same parameters for this, but you couldn't see the drone orientation when approaching with it's red / green strobes so close together anyway.
From a distance a couple of ARCII whites on the back would look like one strobe, a bloody bright one too !!

There is a danger of blinding pilots of manned aircraft you know :p 😁

Last edited:

MAvic_South_Oz

Reaction score
Liked your video by the way @ADMR1985 . . . a good entertaining review.

I'm sure anyone with any strobes is going to benefit.

Good you can get these in the UK, I'm not sure Firehouse Technology have theirs for sale in the UK, they don't like shipping outside the US for some reason, maybe it's a Lipo thing.
Some other places on Amazon or Ebay might do though.

Just not sure if FHT have any presence in the UK because of this ?

anzacjack

Reaction score
Always hard to tell on video, but it doesn’t look that bright

ADMR1985

Reaction score
Always hard to tell on video, but it doesn’t look that bright
It is hard to capture light on camera compared to in person but honestly this was very bright, after i looked at it directly i had all kinds of light blur in my vision haha.
When it was dark the camera did it no justice, this strobe was clearly! visible at 1000feet and the standard lights on each corner were very dim so this seemed very good

anzacjack

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying.
I like that these have the different coloured leds, unlike the Lume-cubes that use coloured filters
Would be interesting to compare these

MAvic_South_Oz

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying.
I like that these have the different coloured leds, unlike the Lume-cubes that use coloured filters
Would be interesting to compare these
Oh yeah, I missed that, they have multiple colour leds.
Price is good, but they are even larger and heavier again than the Lumecube even.

Still would suit a lot of people ok, I personally would avoid using one on a smaller drone like a Spark or Mini.
Even if there was space for one, it would likely be on top, which with drone aloft will obviously be less visible from the ground.

Not sure what output these leds are, but 20hrs from a 250mAh (lipo ?) is a very long run time.
The 600 lumen ARCII runs 6hrs on strobe, that is out of a 240mAh lipo, I'm not sure output could be as much.

That probably doesn't matter to many fliers, as how far do you have to see the light, anyway ?
Most of us are required to keep VLOS anyway, and too far out you may see strobes, but you lose depth perception of your surroundings, no peripheral view.
The cost for vision out to a km is probably good value for many fliers.

EDIT - CLosng link I saw pounds . . . dang, 24.95 GBP, just under AUD$50 or US$32.30, that's not terribly cheap.

Last edited:
All E RC Mavic Drones

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartanrob