DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Gets LIGHTS - Strobe Style

Drone UK

Reactions

Have you requested them to send you a copy of the FAA approval letter... while the strobe is a good light.... I bet they don’t have one.
This has proven to be the case with multiple aftermarket lights for drones in the past. Seem manufacturers read FAA requirements, do their own testing, and then call FAA approved.

it looks like a copy of the anti collision light made by Lume Cube, which lume cube claim to be approved by the FAA

Reactions: Drone UK
Have you requested them to send you a copy of the FAA approval letter... while the strobe is a good light.... I bet they don’t have one.
This has proven to be the case with multiple aftermarket lights for drones in the past. Seem manufacturers read FAA requirements, do their own testing, and then call FAA approved.

i havnt but now you have said this i think i should ask them. Thanks for the advice, i guess im just too trusting haha

Reactions: Thomas B
hmmm, so when you say claim, is that not actually approved?
on their uk site they say that the anti collision light unit is the only one that meats the FAA requirements with a 3 mile range in low light

on their uk site they say that the anti collision light unit is the only one that meats the FAA requirements with a 3 mile range in low light
I’d still email support and ask for proof. Other companies have claimed the same thing, but proved only to be their testing w/o any formal FAA approval... just saying.

Wow, they say they are better than FHT ARCIIs for example ?
I'd find that pretty incredible to imagine, especially as the Lumecube is generally a top mount strobe !!

Does FAA really say a drone has to be visible for 3 miles ? (edit > at night)
That's like nearly 5km, seems like it could be normal for aircraft perhaps, but drones ?

I know, anything flying at night should have the same parameters for this, but you couldn't see the drone orientation when approaching with it's red / green strobes so close together anyway.
From a distance a couple of ARCII whites on the back would look like one strobe, a bloody bright one too !!

There is a danger of blinding pilots of manned aircraft you know :p ?

Last edited:

Liked your video by the way @ADMR1985 . . . a good entertaining review.

I'm sure anyone with any strobes is going to benefit.

Good you can get these in the UK, I'm not sure Firehouse Technology have theirs for sale in the UK, they don't like shipping outside the US for some reason, maybe it's a Lipo thing.
Some other places on Amazon or Ebay might do though.

Just not sure if FHT have any presence in the UK because of this ?

Always hard to tell on video, but it doesn’t look that bright

Always hard to tell on video, but it doesn’t look that bright

It is hard to capture light on camera compared to in person but honestly this was very bright, after i looked at it directly i had all kinds of light blur in my vision haha.
When it was dark the camera did it no justice, this strobe was clearly! visible at 1000feet and the standard lights on each corner were very dim so this seemed very good

Thanks for clarifying.
I like that these have the different coloured leds, unlike the Lume-cubes that use coloured filters
Would be interesting to compare these

Thanks for clarifying.
I like that these have the different coloured leds, unlike the Lume-cubes that use coloured filters
Would be interesting to compare these

Oh yeah, I missed that, they have multiple colour leds.
Price is good, but they are even larger and heavier again than the Lumecube even.

Still would suit a lot of people ok, I personally would avoid using one on a smaller drone like a Spark or Mini.
Even if there was space for one, it would likely be on top, which with drone aloft will obviously be less visible from the ground.

Not sure what output these leds are, but 20hrs from a 250mAh (lipo ?) is a very long run time.
The 600 lumen ARCII runs 6hrs on strobe, that is out of a 240mAh lipo, I'm not sure output could be as much.

That probably doesn't matter to many fliers, as how far do you have to see the light, anyway ?
Most of us are required to keep VLOS anyway, and too far out you may see strobes, but you lose depth perception of your surroundings, no peripheral view.
The cost for vision out to a km is probably good value for many fliers.

EDIT - CLosng link I saw pounds . . . dang, 24.95 GBP, just under AUD$50 or US$32.30, that's not terribly cheap.

Last edited:
I’d still email support and ask for proof. Other companies have claimed the same thing, but proved only to be their testing w/o any formal FAA approval... just saying.
This is another reason I really trust Firehouse Technology strobes. Their strobes come with FAA Compliance Documentation which is done by an independent testing agency, I took a photo of the one I received on my latest shipment from Firehouse Technology.
Firehouse Strobe Test.jpg
I compared the inferior Lume Cube strobe vs the Firehouse Technology ARC II and Lightning, the Lume Cube didn't fair well at all, I can't imagine it would actually meet the 3SM requirement but I've only taken it out a mile and it wasn't very visible at night, then put on one of the red or green lenses and it really diminishes the light.
You can see the comparison here:

This is another reason I really trust Firehouse Technology strobes. Their strobes come with FAA Compliance Documentation which is done by an independent testing agency, I took a photo of the one I received on my latest shipment from Firehouse Technology.
View attachment 91385
I compared the inferior Lume Cube strobe vs the Firehouse Technology ARC II and Lightning, the Lume Cube didn't fair well at all, I can't imagine it would actually meet the 3SM requirement but I've only taken it out a mile and it wasn't very visible at night, then put on one of the red or green lenses and it really diminishes the light.
You can see the comparison here:
Just ordered four of the new Firehouse ARC XL strobes and Aerial-Pixel mounts. 2 white, 1 red, and 1 green to mount in aircraft fashion.
These are the brightest by far at 1000 Lumens, use the new nonCREE strobe technology, and I love the L.A.N.D. System for locating the errant drone.... after it’s still for 4 minutes each strobe beeps a 90dB tone. Total weight of the 4 new strobes and the mounts is 99 grams. I’ll take pics and do a write up after I have it all in a week or two after testing.

Just ordered four of the new Firehouse ARC XL strobes and Aerial-Pixel mounts. 2 white, 1 red, and 1 green to mount in aircraft fashion.
These are the brightest by far at 1000 Lumens, use the new nonCREE strobe technology, and I love the L.A.N.D. System for locating the errant drone.... after it’s still for 4 minutes each strobe beeps a 90dB tone. Total weight of the 4 new strobes and the mounts is 99 grams. I’ll take pics and do a write up after I have it all in a week or two after testing.
I do love the ARC XL, just wish they were slightly smaller :D but nothing a Mavic 2 can't handle just fine. Mounts are HERE for those asking.
FHARCXLBK2 SM.jpg
FHARCXLFR1 SM.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS