DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Gimble freakout

Just got through my vacation and filed a warranty claim. In almost all my videos there is gimble shaking, wind or no wind. Going to have some serious editing to do, hah. I had active track going while out ATV off-roading, it worked okay until the gimble shook and then the Mavic would lose tracking - disappointing as it would have been soo much better of a video if that didn’t happen. Such is life. Didn’t realize that the replacement period is 15 days. Now they will just repair, which is fine I suppose as long as they cover it.

Finally got a chance to post a video that shows the issue I have been having every few minutes of flight.

Skip to 4:30 for the gimble freakout.

Do you mean that after you stop recording, it still glitches? I would try shooting a bunch of 4 minute clips, and see what happens.

Correct, it tweaks out like the every 3-4 minutes of flight time, regardless of filming or not. It seems more common when the drone is turning. I’ve sent it back to DJI today so we will see what they say..

If it were at random intervals, I'd say it's trying to shake off a fly.
I was kidding but that could possibly cause something like that, overloading the motor.

I’ve had about 7 flights or so with my new M2P. So far everything’s been fine but on two flights so far I’ve had the gimble freakout and start spazzing, moving in all directions. This last flight before takeoff it said “gimble overload error” even though the casing was off and nothing was blocking it. I checked it, turned the Mavic off and on again and took off. A minute later the gimble went crazy in the air.. really thought the Mavic was spiraling out of the sky but it was just the gimble going crazy. Anyone else experience this or know why this may happen? Starting to be concerned it’s a lemon.
I've had the 'Gimbal Overload' error a couple of times but its always been fine in the air.

Yes had this same issue last night. Battery was low at 28% when it occured. Freakout first, and 20 seconds later gimbal overload warning. Managed to land it by line of sight. Sent screen grab to dji as assistant2 cannot upload m2p data yet.

Attachments

• 78659692-C7A6-40B7-ADBC-EE0AB22954BF.jpeg
    78659692-C7A6-40B7-ADBC-EE0AB22954BF.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 39
I get this issues on my Mavic 1 Pro but only when using the digital zoom feature, not even recording anything. Why would it freak out like that just for using digital zoom? Kind of worrying to see it also happening on the Mavic 2. NO such issues on the Spark/Spark Pro (Air).

Time will tell.
Spark's been flying over a year, hundreds of flights with no issues. The Air hasnt I've had since February with no issues either. Just the Mavics. Previous reports show this happening during recording around the 4GB mark, mine is happening from simply using digital zoom. I'm able to reproduce the issue whilst grounded.

DJI received my M2P and is replacing (or repairing) under warranty. Recommend anyone having this issue to send theirs in.

Warranty fixing:
Gimbal Axis Arm Module (Pro)
Main Board

Had this happen a few tones with my Platinum and assumed it was because of a crash I had earlier this summer. Sent it in for a care Refresh replacement drone.

I have had it happen once. Same thing I was 150 ft AGL and looks like the drone was doing circles. Gimbal overload error as well.

I returned home blind and turned off and back on and all good.

Brendan

Seems to be a pretty common problem on the M2P's. I had it and returned mine. Waiting for them to sort out these issues before buying in again.

On any Mavic, if you are getting a gimbal motor overload message, you have removed your gimbal clamp, and your gimbal is spazzing out uncontrollably, you have a defective unit. It's either a bad gimbal motor assembly or gimbal ribbon cable, and might have gotten damaged in transit from DJI to you. These poor drones get manhandled by 2 or 3 different shipping companies on their way from China to you, and they have delicate electronics inside.

The good news is that it is still under warranty, and they will send you a brand new one if you file an online warranty claim. This is a warranty issue, not a Refresh, just to make sure you file the correct claim with DJI.

This happened to me and a new drone was sent out right away

Mine did that on it's maiden flight. I ran through all of the calibrations (compass, IMU, gimbal), probably should have done that anyway. It now has ten hours on it and has never done it again.

Reactions: Former Member
My gimbal did the same and then died shortly after. I've found at least 4 other people having the same overloaded gimbal freakout problem now and I'm sure there will be plenty more in the coming weeks. I don't know if there are just defects getting out or if there is a legitmate large scale problem here, but the new gimbals seem to be very weak. One person said that DJI responded by saying it can be caused by strong wind. I really hope that isn't the cause as I never want to worry about a breeze burning out my $1500 drone's gimbal.

I also tried everything and the gimbal moves slightly on its own but won't center or calibrate (gets stuck at 10% and doesn't move). No crashes.

I've got the same exact issue....I'm sending it back...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada