DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Gimble freakout

I’ve had about 7 flights or so with my new M2P. So far everything’s been fine but on two flights so far I’ve had the gimble freakout and start spazzing, moving in all directions. This last flight before takeoff it said “gimble overload error” even though the casing was off and nothing was blocking it. I checked it, turned the Mavic off and on again and took off. A minute later the gimble went crazy in the air.. really thought the Mavic was spiraling out of the sky but it was just the gimble going crazy. Anyone else experience this or know why this may happen? Starting to be concerned it’s a lemon.
Had this happen a few tones with my Platinum and assumed it was because of a crash I had earlier this summer. Sent it in for a care Refresh replacement drone.

I’ve had about 7 flights or so with my new M2P. So far everything’s been fine but on two flights so far I’ve had the gimble freakout and start spazzing, moving in all directions. This last flight before takeoff it said “gimble overload error” even though the casing was off and nothing was blocking it. I checked it, turned the Mavic off and on again and took off. A minute later the gimble went crazy in the air.. really thought the Mavic was spiraling out of the sky but it was just the gimble going crazy. Anyone else experience this or know why this may happen? Starting to be concerned it’s a lemon.
I would experience this from time to time with the first Mavic Pro. I never got a gimbal overload error but I would get the same thing that you're experiencing with the gimbal going crazy. The only way I could seem to correct it would be to bring the aircraft back and land. Then I would turn the aircraft off turn the app off turn the controller off and start all over again. And it would seem to go away. I tried gimbal calibration and that never really seem to make any difference one way or the other. Luckily for me this would only happen every so often. And again just to state this used to happen with you original mavic Pro. I now have mavic Pro 2 and so far after about 10 flights I haven't had any problems. Fingers crossed.

I would experience this from time to time with the first Mavic Pro. I never got a gimbal overload error but I would get the same thing that you're experiencing with the gimbal going crazy. The only way I could seem to correct it would be to bring the aircraft back and land. Then I would turn the aircraft off turn the app off turn the controller off and start all over again. And it would seem to go away. I tried gimbal calibration and that never really seem to make any difference one way or the other. Luckily for me this would only happen every so often. And again just to state this used to happen with you original mavic Pro. I now have mavic Pro 2 and so far after about 10 flights I haven't had any problems. Fingers crossed.

Good feedback, yeah it’s really strange. Surprisingly, my past 5 flights I have not experienced this issue. So not I’m wondering if it just needed a “break in” period or if it has to do with how hot it was when I was flying last week (90 degrees vs 70 degrees this week). I’ll be getting a lot of flying in next week so I’ll see how it behaves, but if it keeps happening it’s going back to DJI.

Not just a mavic issue, same thing can happen on the P4 series as well. Not necessarily a cable or motor issue, can also be the camera's IMU or gimbal ESCs. Either way, it will not get better, and chances are it will burn something out eventually and completely fail.

Such a PITA that we can't just replace the gimbals ourselves without voiding warranty :( (especially when the gimbal assembly already has its own serial number). Easier than ever to do on the Mavic 2s, 4-5 screws and a ribbon connector.

Same problem here. I'm so bummed to read this thread and see it is a warranty issue. I've had it 8 days and this is my 4th time flying. 12 minutes into the flight and the gimbal starting shaking with a message that the motor load was too large. There are no obstructions whatsoever. Gimbal status just says restarting. Flight occurred with 10mph gentle breeze and clear day. I've tried calibrating the gimbal, but it just gets stuck at 10%. Where do I go on DJI's site to make a warranty claim? Is there a way for me to just return it?

I had same problem, my gimbal freaked out in the air and said overload! It then corrected itself but I have a few issues with my mp2 and it will be going back as not sure if it's a duffer. Won't calibrate on either sensors or imu and there is contamination on the lens behind the screen after a flight. Not acceptable.

The good news is that it is still under warranty, and they will send you a brand new one if you file an online warranty claim. This is a warranty issue, not a Refresh, just to make sure you file the correct claim with DJI.

Where is the difference between warranty and refresh?

Anyone having this issue on the Zoom, or is it just the Pro? Anyone know how much more than Pro camera weighs compared to Zoom and if that could be contributing?

Will this overload incident be recorded in logs if it happens or we need to record it for claiming the warranty? I just received the drone, first flight seems fine, but I just want to know ahead what the process will be if I had the issue in the future.

...One person said that DJI responded by saying it can be caused by strong wind...
DJI's spec sheet shows the M2 speed up to 72 kph (45 mph) which puts this wind force on the gimbal. I hope that DJI is not really thinking a strong wind would cause this.

Don't know if this applies but on my AlexMos (Basecamp) gimbal controller I had bad PID values and my gimbal was all over the place depending on velocity of the drone. Small easy movements and it worked fine. Rapid movements and it's went into convulsions. Had to re-do the PID values for the motors. Once its lost its mind it did not recover and needed reboot.

Does the MP2 have something similar and maybe the tuning is not right on some units? I do know when I tightened the tuning up the motors were fighting to stay stable and bounced between poles on the motor. Jerked and Wagged. Dampened the settings and it smoothed out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR