DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro higher resolution

Hi guys

Again i just lose 2 potential drone jobs because of the resolution of the mavic 2 pro is too low, as they said....
One customer choose for a - dont laugh - company who fly with a Mavic Air 2. He told them they get a ultra sharp 8000px image.
It's painful to hear this kind of things.. also with the new m3 the resolution is still a bit low.

What did you guys want to advice me? Kind of cowboys with a MA2 could not be better than a m2p, i think.... 😑

What do you say when asked by the Company that your Drone Resolution is for your drone as the Air 2 Has the Super Pic feature but you can also do the same as well.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Again i just lose 2 potential drone jobs because of the resolution of the mavic 2 pro is too low, as they said....
One customer choose for a - dont laugh - company who fly with a Mavic Air 2. He told them they get a ultra sharp 8000px image.
It's painful to hear this kind of things.. also with the new m3 the resolution is still a bit low.

The M3 is the same resolution of the M2P. A couple of weeks ago I was talking myself into getting an M3 (the M43 sensor being better, if not higher res), but now I'm thinking of skipping the M3 and waiting for the M4 or going outside of DJI for better cameras AND lenses.

What did you guys want to advice me? Kind of cowboys with a MA2 could not be better than a m2p, i think.... 😑

You can upscale (as mentioned) to the pixel dimensions they need (not pano, but upscaling of the single images).

But did you ever ask them why they need higher than 5K? Because if they are not printing large, they might have some misconceptions about why they need a larger dimension image.

Even if the M3 had higher resolution (24 or 36, much less the 50MP it would take for 8K), "ultra sharp" is a product of optics as well as sensor MP count. The kind of lens on the M2P/M3 may not resolve details that a 50MP sensor could capture.

They are essentially asking for drone operators that have well-above Mavic class equipment ($20-30k or more), like an Inspire 2 with the Zenmuse x7.

Chris

Last edited:
5472 x 3648
So if you take 9 Pictures and stich them together , you would have a nice size picture. Most likely the company and you are confused as to what they are asking for.

This is why the Air 2 is getting away with jobs because there stitching pictures to make a big one.
and your confused on taking a single picture.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Darkabaz
It really depends on the final use of the image.

For prints the highest quality standard is 360 dpi, which is equivalent to 360 ppi. This makes a 10 x 15 print.
Acceptable quality can be achieved at 250 dpi, yielding a 15 x 22 print.

Video monitor standards are for 96 dpi, so that yields a monitor of 56" x 38" for the highest quality image.

As others have suggested, you need to know the end use before making any judgements about what is or is not reasonable. The human perception acuity standards are pretty well established at this point.

To create a wide angle lens picture with stitched photos.... what is the best way to do it? Hover at one place and rotate the whole drone or only camera( with fingertip on screen )

To create a wide angle lens picture with stitched photos.... what is the best way to do it? Hover at one place and rotate the whole drone or only camera( with fingertip on screen )

There is only one way to do that with a drone, and that's to rotate the entire aircraft as it hovers in one place. You don't have the ability to rotate on the aperture plane as you do with a land-based camera on a dedicated panoramic head. And really, at the distances you usually shoot a pano with a drone, the difference isn't huge.

It's really not a perfect platform for panos. The other thing (other than not being able to pivot on the nodal point) is that the lens is fixed at wide-angle. You complained of stitch errors previously and one fix for that is to use a lens that is not wide-angle (in fact, I favor one that is slightly telephoto for land-based panos). So this is another option you do not have with the M2P. (An Inspire with a Zenmuse with interchangeable lenses is a different thing.)

Another method to avoid stitching errors is to move further away.

Finally, you can accept the stitching errors and fix them in post (get good at photoshopping the resulting pano to remove the oddities / errors).

An alternative: in those cases where you can shoot with a land-based camera, do that rather than a drone, using a slightly telephoto lens on a nodal rail. Read up on how to shoot panos, pivoting on the nodal point. Get to a high spot.

Chris

Or instead of using the pano feature, set up and take several overlapping pictures parallel to the building. Keep the drone square to the subject. Then use a stitching program to put them all together.

Or instead of using the pano feature, set up and take several overlapping pictures parallel to the building. Keep the drone square to the subject. Then use a stitching program to put them all together.

Have you actually done this? Because it sounds like a recipe for parallax errors to me. You would be moving the drone in relationship to objects on the ground, which means those objects will have different perspectives in each shot. A simple example is a light pole that will lean left in one image, but right in the other. A more complex example would be the sides of buildings, windows, and doors that would be totally un-stitchable.

Chris

Have you actually done this? Because it sounds like a recipe for parallax errors to me. You would be moving the drone in relationship to objects on the ground, which means those objects will have different perspectives in each shot. A simple example is a light pole that will lean left in one image, but right in the other. A more complex example would be the sides of buildings, windows, and doors that would be totally un-stitchable.

Chris
It's just the way that mapping flights are done, but rotated to the vertical rather than horizontal.
It could be done fairly easily as long as there is room to work with.
Some of the mapping apps even have a facade mode just for that sort of thing.

It's just the way that mapping flights are done, but rotated to the vertical rather than horizontal.

Yeah, I really don't think the OP is doing mapping / straight down imaging of these buildings, but I could be wrong.

Chris

Last edited:
It could be done fairly easily as long as there is room to work with.
Some of the mapping apps even have a facade mode just for that sort of thing.
So like an ortho rectified map but in the vertical plane? Interesting. I don't have any mapping apps, which would you recommend that has this facade mode?

So like an ortho rectified map but in the vertical plane? Interesting. I don't have any mapping apps, which would you recommend that has this facade mode?
I haven't tried any, but had seen this:
It looks like it's a more expensive add on.
But depending on the size of the building, the size of a building, it might be easy enough to shoot manually and stitch using a polar projection.

Or other packages might have similar functions too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest