DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Low Light Shot, "After glow in the City by the Bay"

Here are two screen shots from a night shot taken at ISO 100, 3.2 second exposure. you can see the noise reduction settings on both and decide for yourself.

I am certain that NR can destroy detail, there is no argument there. But it can be done in a way to limit that to serious pixel peeping at serious magnifications.

In any event, I am not interested in arguing, just trying to be helpful and show that our Mavic 2 does indeed have noise at low ISO's and that it can be fixed without destroying detail (not zero mind you, but not enough to hurt the image)

Cheers

What's happening there is you are underexposing the shadows so much to preserve highlight detail (a difficult balance in a night scene) that you end up with a slight grain in the shadows - even that is not bad at all and you would never see that very light grain in a print or web-sized image (the two mediums most likely to be used but YMMV). There is also negligible color noise in that image. You can see that the properly exposed areas have essentially zero noise, as expected. Personally I would not NR that as you can see from your examples how horribly it destroys the detail, especially in the distance where there is precious little detail to begin with - in some cases it removes the windows from buildings almost entirely, and makes the whole image look like a watercolor painting unless viewed at web size, where the grain wouldn't show either. Entirely up to you of course, but I would personally suggest not using such heavy handed NR on an image with only a slight grain to it and almost no color noise. If you like the smoothed-over NR look (which is fine), there are also plugins you can get that will analyze the image and apply NR selectively to different areas of the photo (Like NIK DFINE2 which is very good) that you might find useful.

Another thing you can try is if the highlights are going to be blown anyway, overexpose the image a little bit to get the shadow pixels closer to FWC and then bring it back down in post (basically ETTR). You can also stack multiple exposures if you are still unhappy with the noise levels as one way to avoid using such heavy NR.

More good news is that I do not think anything is wrong with your drone at all, that sensor is behaving exactly as it should in that scenario.

Twice earlier you said that you can apply NR without destroying detail, which is the main point I was contesting, and it seems we agree now that it does. Thumbswayup

One thing I’ve learned in my steep, slow pace up the Photoshop Hill, is to be sure that after any NR action, always go back to the 100% view to get a better look at your changes. The exact same thing is true for sharpening.

When you finally get the image where you want it at each stage I suggest you back off the amount of adjustment just a hair. I think most people, artists included, tend to “push for looks” and we can overdue an adjustment. Again same for sharpening.

KB

Reactions: SteveCA
Back to the original topic: This is straight from the phone with minor edits done on my iphone.

IMG_9131.JPG

Reactions: Drone Shot
One thing I’ve learned in my steep, slow pace up the Photoshop Hill, is to be sure that after any NR action, always go back to the 100% view to get a better look at your changes. The exact same thing is true for sharpening.

When you finally get the image where you want it at each stage I suggest you back off the amount of adjustment just a hair. I think most people, artists included, tend to “push for looks” and we can overdue an adjustment. Again same for sharpening.

KB

I do all my sharpening and NR while viewing at 100%. Otherwise it’s way too easy to over do it. The thing I’ve learned in my steep slow learning curve is that there are many ways to do things in PS and there are no absolutes.

I’ve had the benefit of learning photo editing from one of the masters of Landscape photography. The NR techniques came from him and they are not absolutes. Every image is different. I’ve been using photoshop since 1994 but learned more from him in a week than all of the previous 15 years combined.

If you want to see some of the most amazing landscape photos, check him out at

Image Galleries

If you want to see some of the most amazing landscape photos, check him out at

Image Galleries

Very nice images but almost all of them on HDR. Sometimes is too much. I like photography and I'm mainly a photographer and I also use HDR but not on every photographs I do.
Most of those photos have unreal colors.

My 2 cents

Reactions: Cymruflyer
No tower in the city, but a sharp lookout for heli's is required. Fortunately they are plenty loud. Heli's around here generally fly well above 400 feet AGL, but the Coast Guard is sometimes an exception. My photos were shot within plain line of sight and relatively low AGL altitude. It also helps to have a second pair of eyes.

Not to sour these posts or hijack this thread but I've got a similar concern, figure this threads perfect since living in the city with a Mavic 2 I'm always in fear of low flying airplanes and helicopter (tours). How can it be legal even if its in line of sight? Because I've flown my drone overhead, brought the bird down and shortly had a two seater plan fly directly overhead where my mavic had been which makes me uneasy. I would LOVE to take similar images in the city I live in but I'm also scared to death of getting fine or killing someone by taking down a manned aircraft, even at keeping my bird <380ft.

Reactions: noosaguy
Very nice images but almost all of them on HDR. Sometimes is too much. I like photography and I'm mainly a photographer and I also use HDR but not on every photographs I do.
Most of those photos have unreal colors.

My 2 cents

I am confused on how HDR affects the colors?

"HDR photo is really just two (or three, or nine) photos taken at different exposure levels and then mashed together with software to create a better picture".

I am confused on how HDR affects the colors?

"HDR photo is really just two (or three, or nine) photos taken at different exposure levels and then mashed together with software to create a better picture".
You're right, HDR should have little or no effect on colour within an image. I've found It can increase noise, particularly shadow noise. For that reason, sometimes a well exposed single image when, taken in difficult lighting conditions, can be superior to HDR

Last edited:
Not to sour these posts or hijack this thread but I've got a similar concern, figure this threads perfect since living in the city with a Mavic 2 I'm always in fear of low flying airplanes and helicopter (tours). How can it be legal even if its in line of sight? Because I've flown my drone overhead, brought the bird down and shortly had a two seater plan fly directly overhead where my mavic had been which makes me uneasy. I would LOVE to take similar images in the city I live in but I'm also scared to death of getting fine or killing someone by taking down a manned aircraft, even at keeping my bird <380ft.
To be honest you sound like a sensible 'young' man (woman?)... how about person.

You're right, HDR should have little or no effect on colour within an image. I've found It can increase noise, particularly shadow noise. For that reason, sometimes a well exposed image taken in difficult lighting conditions can be superior to HDR

Ahhh interesting thanks for sharing!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2