DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro - price increase!

I've said this elsewhere but it bears repeating. I'm not saying that DJI is the world's greatest company or whatever, so you can save the fanboy stuff. However, if I were to ship a 4.7 kg package from Shenzhen to my house, it would cost over $300. I realize that they get a discount but still DJI eats that expense and shipping costs are known to fluctuate. It also bears mentioning that in the US, DJI eats the sales tax as well. In my state, that's almost $120 that I didn't have to pay. Oh and the only drone I'd say comes close to this one is the Yuneec Typhoon Plus and it's $1900. Hey, just something to think about while you're calling them "crooks" or whatever.

I run a business, when my expenses go up, I raise my prices. I try to stay competitive and offer the best value for money possible BUT I'm going to keep my margin. Period. I don't give my services away and I don't expect anyone else to give theirs away either. You look at the product, you look at the price and you decide whether or not to buy it. Nothing could be more fair.

I've said this elsewhere but it bears repeating. I'm not saying that DJI is the world's greatest company or whatever, so you can save the fanboy stuff. However, if I were to ship a 4.7 kg package from Shenzhen to my house, it would cost over $300. I realize that they get a discount but still DJI eats that expense and shipping costs are known to fluctuate. It also bears mentioning that in the US, DJI eats the sales tax as well. In my state, that's almost $120 that I didn't have to pay. Oh and the only drone I'd say comes close to this one is the Yuneec Typhoon Plus and it's $1900. Hey, just something to think about while you're calling them "crooks" or whatever.

I run a business, when my expenses go up, I raise my prices. I try to stay competitive and offer the best value for money possible BUT I'm going to keep my margin. Period. I don't give my services away and I don't expect anyone else to give theirs away either. You look at the product, you look at the price and you decide whether or not to buy it. Nothing could be more fair.
Well said

While this all makes sense, DJI set expectations for their customers with the initial price point. You probably wouldn't see people complaining about the 3.5% difference ($50 is a 3.5%), if it was priced that way when they launched it. The fly More kit is a whole other issue with a substantial increase of 19%.

While this all makes sense, DJI set expectations for their customers with the initial price point. You probably wouldn't see people complaining about the 3.5% difference ($50 is a 3.5%), if it was priced that way when they launched it. The fly More kit is a whole other issue with a substantial increase of 19%.

Nah, people have been complaining about the price since day one. They also complained about the Mavic Pro price two years ago. People will find reasons to hate DJI and complain. The Zoom for example, is $250 more than the original, quite true. However, it has more sensors, a better gimbal, a better camera, longer range, is faster, had several new flight modes and camera features, flies longer, etc, etc, etc. Still it's considered overpriced.

I guess my question is, why are people that aren't buying the drone complaining about the price? What do they care? Additionally, why are people that have already purchased the drone complaining about the price increase? If you haven't already purchased the drone and don't plan to for, what's the going "wisdom" 3-6 months? Why worry about the price on a day by day basis? At least they gave a warning. That's more than a lot of companies will do.

I'm sure the various retailers will compete as they always do and the price will fluctuate as it does with any product. It just strikes me as strange that some have characterized this moved by DJI as "criminal" in some way. Like they don't have the right to set their prices however they wish. It wouldn't surprise me to learn some of these same people have iPhones and Samsung devices in their pockets right now...

Last edited:
This is DJI’s “price pad” for the soon to come tarrifs coming from POTUS’ new policy towards CHINA

I beat the price increase from DJI just now and ordered the Fly More through Best Buy... the total with Texas sales tax was more than $25 cheaper than buying the Fly More through DJI and I'm supposed to receive it by Tuesday, in two days.

COSTCO will have em [discounted] in time for Christmas = MARK MY WORD!

Let's see... when was the last time that I recall Costco having any DJI products at a discount? Oh yeah, it was a week after the Mavic 2 was announced, and it was the Mavic Pro Platinum. My GF thought she was gonna score some points by finding it at a much lower price... poor thing, she tries SO hard!

I am hereby marking your word, my friend! ;)

Reactions: STEELINOX
I've said this elsewhere but it bears repeating. I'm not saying that DJI is the world's greatest company or whatever, so you can save the fanboy stuff. However, if I were to ship a 4.7 kg package from Shenzhen to my house, it would cost over $300. I realize that they get a discount but still DJI eats that expense and shipping costs are known to fluctuate.

They don't get "a discount" they get "wholesale" rates. When you tell DHL you're buying 1M shipping labels a year trust me it doesn't take for DJI more than $20-$30 per parcel. And if they sell the Mavic through a reseller (Amazon, Bestbuy, etc) those eat way more than that (10-20% of the sale) so for DJI is absolutely a win to give you free shipping when you buy directly from them.

They don't get "a discount" they get "wholesale" rates. When you tell DHL you're buying 1M shipping labels a year trust me it doesn't take for DJI more than $20-$30 per parcel. And if they sell the Mavic through a reseller (Amazon, Bestbuy, etc) those eat way more than that (10-20% of the sale) so for DJI is absolutely a win to give you free shipping when you buy directly from them.

Yep, I knew that and agree... I've just never seen them at Costco until the M2's came out, and frankly, it was a HELLOVA deal. But then I'm one of those GOTTAHAVEITNOW folk who never waits for it to go on sale... :)

Maybe this increase has more to do with the Phantom lineup. The new price is the same as the Phantom 4 Pro v2. What would the Phanton 5 need to have inorder to justify what was a $400 price separation or $1,899? Maybe the Phantom line is going away and being replaced with a whole new design. It is getting very old and stale IMO. Maybe a consumer version of the I1 with retracts and interchangeable lenses? Just trying to guess where DJI is going with a consumer drone under $2,000 without hitting their Enterprise lineup.

Last edited:
Maybe this increase has more to do with the Phantom lineup. The new price is the same as the Phantom 4 Pro v2. What would the Phanton 5 need to have inorder to justify what was a $400 price separation or $1,899? Maybe the Phantom line is going away and being replaced with a whole new design. It is getting very old and stale IMO.

Personally speaking, I'm ok with it. I've had my Mavic Pro since (sometime after) I ordered it in October of 2016 and flown it to the moon and back twelve thousand times (ok, I exaggerate). I was ready for "new and improved"... if you like cool toys, you just have to pay for them. I have long ascribed to the pictured philosophy!

most-toys-bumper-sticker-1.jpg

Personally speaking, I'm ok with it. I've had my Mavic Pro since (sometime after) I ordered it in October of 2016 and flown it to the moon and back twelve thousand times (ok, I exaggerate). I was ready for "new and improved"... if you like cool toys, you just have to pay for them. I have long ascribed to the pictured philosophy!

View attachment 46777

My comment wasn’t about if the increase was ok or not. But it is very unusual for an established company with plenty of info about their costs and supplier prices to change a price by 2% only a month after introducing it. Their margins are plenty high enough to absorb an unknown cost of 2%, if their even was one. There is another reason to do this one month after launch.

Reactions: Kingram
I think DJI could've done it smarter by giving customers and potential customers a couple of weeks' notice of the price hike. Those on the fence would be compelled to buy now. Especially for those who are new, they'd have the one in their shopping cart, still deciding if they want to hit pay. A sudden price change would put them off.

12:00am EDT wherever that is!
Easter Daylight Savings Time. East Coast of US.
As a side note, I get annoyed when businesses use ET or during DST season, say EST (or derivatives for other time zones). Some areas don't observe DST. Gets really confusing for referencing time in Phoenix area during this time of year.

Tomato, toMato whatever. Yea I worked in shipping for Caterpillar and no one gets -90%, you're talking out your backside. $20 to ship a 10lb package from Shenzhen to Michigan through FedEx? Yea right... We shipped thousands of packages, and we got a discount (or wholesale rate) for volume but .20 a lb to ship to China? It doesn't matter how you slice it, they eat shipping, import tax and sales tax... Tax, I notice you didn't pipe in on that one... Is that a "win" for DJI as well? Or do you think that they don't pay it?

Anyway, I stand by my statement, regardless of why they raised their prices, they have every right to do so.

Last edited:
From what I read on Osita Twitter (if people can trust) he mention something about the reseller margin being too low, so DJI raise the price.

At least that's my interpretation of the Chinglish tweet. Make what you will of it.

OsitaLV on Twitter

upload_2018-9-17_13-12-54.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2