DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro, saying compass error every single flight

Maybe it shouldn't but it does. MY logic is that the message it provides me once the calibration process "the dance" is complete telling me that the compass is calibrated is better than me wondering if it's calibrated. If the drone is telling me to calibrate the compass and I fly anyway and something happens regardless if it's related to NOT doing the calibration it's a possible excuse for DJI to claim operator error. Too simple and easy of a process to NOT do it.
Your compass doesn't go out of calibration unless you modify or rebuild the drone.
I still haven't calibrated a thing on mine and it's been flying for four years and 4000 miles.

Your compass doesn't go out of calibration unless you modify or rebuild the drone.
I still haven't calibrated a thing on mine and it's been flying for four years and 4000 miles.
My Mavic 2 Pro frequently gives me a warning message at start-up to calibrate with screen graphics on how to position the drone and go through the process. Once completed it gives the message that it's calibrated. It seems that it only happens when I make a material change in take off location. If I take off from the same location regardless of time between flights it does not give me the warning. I assume it could be related to other factors other than location (interference, metal etc) but I haven't taken the time to investigate because it's a simple short process and like I mentioned I'm not that trusting of DJI refresh to not use the excuse of not calibrating as a way to dodge equipment failure and blame the operator. I'm certainly not expert on the inner workings of the compass but I have to assume it's asking me to calibrate for a reason.

My Mavic 2 Pro frequently gives me a warning message at start-up to calibrate.
I assume it could be related to other factors other than location (interference, metal etc) but I haven't taken the time to investigate.
I'm certainly not expert on the inner workings of the compass but I have to assume it's asking me to calibrate for a reason.
With the Mavic 2, DJI forces it to ask for compass calibration each 30 days and/or 30 miles even though there's absolutely no physical reason for it.
If you want a good idea of what compass calibration actually does, read the first post in this thread A short explanation of compass function, calibration and errors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42