DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro, saying compass error every single flight

Except in this case there’s not actually anything wrong. You can double check it with the interference meter.
I've searched the online manual for reference to the "Interference Meter". Could you please post a screenshot of where-what this is? TIA

I've searched the online manual for reference to the "Interference Meter". Could you please post a screenshot of where-what this is? TIA
MC Settings->Advanced Settings->Sensor State "Compass" tab (Where you would calibrate the compass)_

Reactions: TreeHugger
MC Settings->Advanced Settings->Sensor State "Compass" tab (Where you would calibrate the compass)_

Thanks for that - I'll be checking this "meter" next time interference is reported.
meter.png

Possibly some info here?
That is good information to know. Somewhere I have one of those from back in the VHS days. I call it my "Nixon tape eraser", for those of you who are old enough to know what it alludes to.

• Haha
Reactions: TreeHugger
Well I thought the breadcrumbs would be better than a screenshot so then you know how to get there.
Not that it matters but I can hardly read your screenshot.
Appears clear to me - yes - the bread-crumbs is what led me to it - notice, that you are quoting a post where I thanked you for that.
With a legend - Green, Yellow and Red - for Excellent, Good and Poor - to include a numeric scale, @ 165 I'm "Excellent". Couldn't be more "clear", a screenshot from the smart controller. Intended to show other persons what it actually looks like.
Since I would never inconvenience people by posting a full size photo of something they may not want to see, you have to click on the thumbnail. :)

So - it would appear, that when my app tells me there is a compass issue - there is an issue. Whatever "interference" there is, is reflected in the meter data, as shown:
interference.PNG
Moral of the story - do not disregard errors - there might actually be something amiss.

So - it would appear, that when my app tells me there is a compass issue - there is an issue. Whatever "interference" there is, is reflected in the meter data, as shown:
View attachment 111967
Moral of the story - do not disregard errors - there might actually be something amiss.
And yet for me the meter always reads excellent.

Just read this post.
If you have care refresh then send it in but ask for a "repair cost" do not accept refresh usage. If it is on warranty they will fix it for free. They will give you an estimate for a repair if it is necessary and since nothing is wrong with your drone except something electronic it will be cheap not worth using a refresh claim.
If it needs to be repaired or they need to do anything be advised they do not actually repair the drones they simply send you a refurbished drone. Their refurbished drones are virtually new drones. The cost of the drone is so low to them vs the cost to actually refurbish. I have care refresh with 2 replacements. I had 2 minor crashes and got them repaired for $150usd each time. It is not worth using refresh unless it is a major crash. Also if you use both refreshes in the first year you get no options to purchase 2nd year coverage.

I get a compass re-calibration needed message from time to time.
I figure it's often due to flying in different locations and the compass is very sensitive - which is a good thing.
Magnetic declination will cause different readings in different locations.
And it takes like 30 seconds to 'do the calibration dance', so it's all good.

magnetic declination.jpg

I get a compass re-calibration needed message from time to time.
I figure it's often due to flying in different locations and the compass is very sensitive - which is a good thing.
Magnetic declination will cause different readings in different locations.
This is an old myth that was busted long ago, but still surfaces from time to time.
Magnetic declination has nothing at all to do with compass calibration.
There is no way for compass calibration to detect or correct for magnetic declination.

Compass calibration is only about one thing, it measures the magnetic fields that are part of your drone.
This is so the compass reading is accurate and not affected by the magnetic fields in the drone.
That's it .. nothing at all about where you are or how far you have travelled/

Reactions: _gonzales_
Thanks for the links.
Some great info/reading.
sar104 gives great details:
' it has a stored global magnetic field model in firmware and as soon as it gets a GPS position lock on startup it computes the declination (and inclination) from the model and adds the declination to the magnetic heading from the compass. Now it has true heading. That process is documented in the DAT file.'

Traveling 30 miles from last takeoff triggers a compass recalibration request, indicating a need to recalculate the magnetic declination for proper calibration.

Traveling 30 miles from last takeoff triggers a compass recalibration request, indicating a need to recalculate the magnetic declination for proper calibration.
You could be forgiven for thinking so, but no.
DJI made some of their more recent models force you to recalibrate the compass after 30 days / 30 miles, despite there being absolutely no physical reason for it.
Just DJI continuing their tradition of confusing everyone about compass calibration.

The key to understanding compass calibration is what I wrote in post #31.

Last edited:
Regardless of why it's requesting a re-calibration the simple act of doing so does give me a little peace of mind.

Regardless of why it's requesting a re-calibration the simple act of doing so does give me a little peace of mind.
It shouldn't if you understand what compass calibration actually does.
Calibrating the compass doesn't fix problems or make your flight safer.

It shouldn't if you understand what compass calibration actually does.
Calibrating the compass doesn't fix problems or make your flight safer.
Maybe it shouldn't but it does. MY logic is that the message it provides me once the calibration process "the dance" is complete telling me that the compass is calibrated is better than me wondering if it's calibrated. If the drone is telling me to calibrate the compass and I fly anyway and something happens regardless if it's related to NOT doing the calibration it's a possible excuse for DJI to claim operator error. Too simple and easy of a process to NOT do it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan