DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 water recovery solution

Marco Cantieni

Reactions
When flying over water the fear of a droned drone has always been a blind passenger for me. Then I discovered several solutions for water landing installations such as skids or styrofoam balls. However all of them have been designed to softly land on water just for the sake of fun or achieving exciting perspectives. They are not stable enough to survive a hard crash on water and prevent the drone from drowning making a later recovery impossible.

This drove me to construct a solution involving swim noodles but closer and more firmly mounted to the Mavic than the available skid solution. I've built this for my Mavic 1 and used it for 18 months. Now I've built a new version to fit the Mavic 2. Here is the result.

IMG_6305.jpg
IMG_6283.jpg
IMG_6328.jpg
IMG_6346.jpg
IMG_6319.jpg

IMG_6225.jpg
IMG_6233.jpg
IMG_6247.jpg
IMG_6388.jpg

Pro:
  • compact design, it even fits in my Mavic bag
  • high probability the floating body keeps attached to the drone even during a hard crash.
  • easy and quick mount
  • light weight (50 grams)
  • much less wind sensitive than styrofoam balls or bigger skid solution
  • all sensors continue to be fully functional
  • Camera view not obstructed
Con:
  • landing on water will Mavic definitely catch water, because of compact design. Designed to keep Mavic on the surface only not turning Mavic into a RC boat.
  • battery change requires to loose 1 strap

So let me know what you think ツ

Thanks for your comment.
Shopping list:

2 freshly sliced pieces of pool noodles, 6,5cm in diameter, 22cm in length
2 plastic tubes, 1,5cm in diameter, 20cm in length
2 strips of velcro tape, available in bike shops. I could only get two 25cm pieces thus I stitched ot together.

Its up to you how you clamp the tube ends. I've used washers made of pool noodle material and plastic sticks.

Reactions: ff22
Looks cool. Have you actually landed.on water with no damage?
  • landing on water will Mavic definitely catch water, because of compact design. Designed to keep Mavic on the surface only not turning Mavic into a RC boat.

Love the idea! I'm much more concerned about after crash recovery than I am intentionally landing on water. What about the air/cooling vents on the drone itself, do they remain unobstructed?

How does the added weight affect battery life/flight time?

Reactions: Marco Cantieni
What about the air/cooling vents on the drone itself, do they remain unobstructed?
Yes, totally

How does the added weight affect battery life/flight time?
It‘s not just the weight but also the increased air resistance. The flight time is reduced my 5mins. max. That figure is based on my experience using this design for the last 18 months

Neat flotation method.

I liked your Lago di Garda video. I've done a few hikes around there - Parmelan (sp?) and another on the east side - with stations of the cross or similar. The Dolomites are wonderful.

Reactions: Marco Cantieni
Just in case I want to softly land on water this solution can be equipped with additional pieces of swim noodles.
IMG_6393.jpeg
Now the extra weight is noticable. The Mavics agility suffers a bit.

The strobe module I use is a „STROBON Cree Standalone“ from Flytron, expanded with two additional Cree LEDs. That makes a 3 LED strobe. Super bright but still not bright enough to spot the bird from more than 400m distance.

2D9368A8-4F27-4581-99D3-959D0E2070ED.jpeg

5 minutes, thats not bad at all.
Practically 5mins are acceptable. Hard to believe that only 50 grams are reducing the flight time by 5mins. The primary factor here is most likely the drag. But other solution are even more bulky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lobodevich