DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 zoom dropped out of sky

jclimaco

Reactions
Hi there, new to mavicpilots but to not drones. This is my 3rd Mavic but my first major crash I can’t obviously explain (ie non obvious pilot error)

Day 1 with M2Z, just activated it and made a test fight in the neighborhood. Max distance 300’, altitude 100’. On the way back home from I was experimenting with hyper lapse mode for a bit. I closed out of that and then was flying toward the home point. About 30’ away and 30’ up I got a long “beeeeep” in the smart controller and the screen froze. I looked up just in time to see the Mz2 drop from the sky. I checked the screen and it said “aircraft disconnected”(no kidding!) and that was it. The screen on the controlled was frozen in a b/w image of the last thing the camera saw in the air and that was that.

any reports of anything like this happening? It’s so weird it has me spooked. I spend a lot of time filming climbing and skiing in places where the aircraft would not even be recoverable it this happened.
Thanks!

Hi there, new to mavicpilots but to not drones. This is my 3rd Mavic but my first major crash I can’t obviously explain (ie non obvious pilot error)

Day 1 with M2Z, just activated it and made a test fight in the neighborhood. Max distance 300’, altitude 100’. On the way back home from I was experimenting with hyper lapse mode for a bit. I closed out of that and then was flying toward the home point. About 30’ away and 30’ up I got a long “beeeeep” in the smart controller and the screen froze. I looked up just in time to see the Mz2 drop from the sky. I checked the screen and it said “aircraft disconnected”(no kidding!) and that was it. The screen on the controlled was frozen in a b/w image of the last thing the camera saw in the air and that was that.

any reports of anything like this happening? It’s so weird it has me spooked. I spend a lot of time filming climbing and skiing in places where the aircraft would not even be recoverable it this happened.
Thanks!

First thought would be a battery Disconnect, but you should post the data report for the experts to read it. Save you some time as there going to ask you for it.

The battery connectors our very sensitive to movement so a battery with any play can jolt it that would explain the quick drop and the screen freeze.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain.
Coal

Thanks for the kind replies.

so I looked to the flight data on the smart controller and there is nothing. It shows experience points as 1 and then nothing else. All categories of data are N/A. Am I missing some data someplace or did it just not record, also weird.

And to thicken the plot I went into "internal storage/dji.go.v4/flightrecord/DJIFlightRecord_2020-05-29_[10-10-10].txt" and in the smart controller's HTML viewer it is blank.

Loaded an android file transfer app onto my MacBook Pro, and no luck transferring anything that was there.

stumped.

Last edited:
Flight record, finally

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-05-29_[18-10-10].txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
First thought would be a battery Disconnect, but you should post the data report for the experts to read it. Save you some time as there going to ask you for it.

The battery connectors our very sensitive to movement so a battery with any play can jolt it that would explain the quick drop and the screen freeze.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain.
Coal
saw your weatherproofing. way cool. may have to order!

Thank you So much for decoding it! That is definitely this aircraft’s one and only flight.
I didn’t see anything wrong with the battery or feel anything odd when I examined it. I definitely never had a problem with the Mavic pro batteries coming loose. Again, thank you!

Flight record, finally

The only discrepancy that I see in the log is that it indicates that the aircraft was stationary, with no elevator or aileron inputs, when it disconnected. You were slowly yawing it CW. That does not suggest a battery disconnect, which is usually caused by a significant pitch excursion. You might want to see if the mobile device DAT file ending FLY002.DAT is retrievable.

Reactions: Capt KO
Thanks! That is consistent with what I saw. It was almost cartoon-like: I just had time to catch it out of the corner of my eye and it was hanging there in space, then just shut down and dropped.

The only discrepancy that I see in the log is that it indicates that the aircraft was stationary, with no elevator or aileron inputs, when it disconnected. You were slowly yawing it CW. That does not suggest a battery disconnect, which is usually caused by a significant pitch excursion. You might want to see if the mobile device DAT file ending FLY002.DAT is retrievable.

Here are the DAT files if anyone can read them

Attachments

• 20-05-29-06-06-51_FLY002.DAT
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20-05-29-06-02-25_FLY001.DAT
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members