DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom is now RID compliant

For those that reading this thread, I am hoping that if you that perform the updates to the M2Z firmware and DJI Go4 App then please post your experiences ... positive or negative with the update. I plan on updating, but would rather wait for some brave souls to report on their experiences first! Please 🙏🙏
I installed RID updats on my MPZ. You are suppesed to see the RID number under next to where the controller ID and the Drone ID are located. But I couldn't find the RID number. It's supposed to be located in General/About. But it isn't there. The main menu indicate RID is intalled so I know the download worked. The drone S/N doesn't get accepted on the FAA website. What a pain in the ---.

Help, Remote ID is installed on my Mavic zoom with the latest update. I checked under Genera, Selected About.
Contoller ID is present and the Drone ID is present but not the RIP ID. Any suggestion. I alread spent a good part of the day and Two batteries trying to figure this out.
It's been a while since I did it so I don't remember the exact procedure. However I know you need to install both the controller/aircraft firmware update, and the latest GO4 app version directly from the DJI website. Go to the DJI website with the browser, then to Mavic 2 series, and then to downloads and download the latest version of GO4 app. Then go to your downloads folder and install the app you downloaded. After you have the aircraft firmware update and latest version of GO4 app installed (reboot aircraft and controller), you should have an RID serial number listed and the RID should work. This is all from memory, so it could vary slightly.

Reactions: Tony Blaszak
I just looked at the spreadsheet the FCC has from DJI for the M2Z, and it is still incorrect, listing only the first remote ID serial number and the last serial number:

1581F0M6000000000000
1581F0M6ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

It's my understanding that the spreadsheet DJI sends to the FCC has to have all the serial numbers.

I still cannot register the remote ID on my M2Z because of this.

I just looked at the spreadsheet the FCC has from DJI for the M2Z, and it is still incorrect, listing only the first remote ID serial number and the last serial number:

1581F0M6000000000000
1581F0M6ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

It's my understanding that the spreadsheet DJI sends to the FCC has to have all the serial numbers.

I still cannot register the remote ID on my M2Z because of this.
The serial number will be the same except they add about 6 characters or so in the front if I remember correctly. I put the RID serial number in as it showed in my controller and it took it fine.

Nope, still doesn't like my M2Z RID serial number. "Invalid Serial Number." Do I need to add an extra 0 to the end to pad it out?

Edit: It took it that way.

Reactions: Sam36401
Vic Moss posted an article about the Mavic 2 series remote ID s/n number format:
dspalliance.org/dji-rid-doc-issues/

TLDR: The format is 1581F+( flight controller SN )+0

Use this when re-registering the drone as remote ID compliant on FAA Drone Zone. I fumbled through this process yesterday with drone zone accepting my s/n in the above format. The full s/n does not show on my controller's About screen but the above formatting provides the workaround.

Vic Moss posted an article about the Mavic 2 series remote ID s/n number format:
dspalliance.org/dji-rid-doc-issues/

TLDR: The format is 1581F+( flight controller SN )+0

Use this when re-registering the drone as remote ID compliant on FAA Drone Zone. I fumbled through this process yesterday with drone zone accepting my s/n in the above format. The full s/n does not show on my controller's About screen but the above formatting provides the workaround.
That’s the format that worked for me, too. (The two pluses and parentheses are not included.)

The serial number I used was the one on the back of the drone’s right front arm. I was guessing on adding the last number zero (0) when the F.A.A. Drone Zone didn’t recognize 19 digits and letters as being correct. It’s a total of 20 characters long counting the added “0” zero.

The only snag I hit was recognizing the D.J.I. zero “0” was not the letter “O”, an “O” being rounder. It might be that D.J.I. doesn’t use the letter “O” in its serial numbers.

I’ve been unable to see my drone on the RID app that’s on my controlling iPad, but a Bluetooth signal to an Apple product is said not to work. Apples will only pick up a WiFi signal.

I haven’t remembered to test the receiving app on my Android phone yet.

I am trying to register my Mavic2 Zoom. It shows the RID serial # on the tablet and when I try to input it in the FAA drone registration it keeps saying it is invalid. I have read through the thread above and still no luck.

The F.A.A. DroneZone site where one enters the Remote I.D. approved serial number requires 20 characters. My Mavic 2 Zooms have a 14 character serial number.

The serial number that is entered for the RID serial number (which is 20 characters) must precede the D.J.I. serial number with the characters “1581F” and add a zero (“0”) at the end of the D.J.I serial number. These six characters (without the quotation marks or spaces, of course) add up to the 20 character RID serial number you must enter.

Your RID serial number will be “1581Fxxxxxxxxxxxxxx0” with the 14 “x”s being the D.J.I. serial number for each drone you register.

I’ve registered two Mavic 2 Zooms and offer these insights.

The D.J.I. serial number is also on the rear of the front right arm of the drone and inside on the bottom of the battery chamber.

I don’t have the letter “O” in any of my serial numbers, so I’m only guessing that it is more rounded than the number zero, “0” which I have several of. Be sure you distinguish between the two. (Maybe even “Z” and “2” or “6” and “G” for other examples.)

Once you’ve cleared this hurdle you’ll want to check that you are broadcasting. I don’t remember if there’s a lag time between entering the number and the drone broadcasting. I expect not. I would think a drone would start broadcasting as soon as the proper software is installed.

The way to check that your drone is broadcasting is to download an app that receives RID broadcasts. I’ve done some searching and can only find “Drone Scanner” as such an app. Maybe someone will add alternatives if there are some.

Once you download a receiving app (I can only offer Drone Scanner functionality), you should be able to pick a map (Google Earth or a standard road map) and the broadcast medium (WiFi, Bluetooth, or both).

Whichever device your RID app is on must be set to allow its location to be disclosed.

Drone Scanner will open to a location over Prague. (It’s a Czech product!) If you’ve allowed location disclosure on your receiving device, the app should automatically find you and move to your location. (If not, it won’t work.) Your position will be marked by a blue dot.

Here’s where you’ll hit a snag when you launch your drone.

Because of their stringent privacy guards, Apple products will only receive Bluetooth broadcasts. They will not accept WiFi.

I have an Android phone, so no restrictions there. I do control my drones from an iPad, but that doesn’t present any problems.

I’ve set Drone Scanner on my Android phone to receive both Bluetooth and WiFi. It picks up the RID broadcasts from both my Zooms. I’m not sure which medium it’s receiving on.

You’ll have some other options to choose on this screen.

However, so far I’ve been unable to receive a broadcast on a second iPad even though I’ve checked only “Bluetooth” and have allowed its location to be discovered. (I’m not interested opening Drone Scanner on my controlling iPad.)

Perhaps I’ve missed a step on my Apple products or there’s a bug for the developer to work out.

(The only other bug I’ve encountered is that no matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall the app on my Android phone, a shortcut icon is not added to my screen. I have to go back to Play Store, look up “Drone Scanner,” and open it from there or go to “Settings” on my phone, scroll down to “Drone Scanner,” and open it from there.)

Once you’ve verified that your drone is broadcasting, you are good to go! Your only reason to open the RID app later will be whenever you want to check that your drone is successfully broadcasting and bask in the pleasure that you’ve jumped another hurdle in life.

Of course you should open the app if you have other drone activity in your area and want to monitor those locations.

And hope that the other droner is the same law abiding, patriotic citizen you are and has a RID compliant drone, too!!

(Yes, I’m not noted for brevity.)

Last edited:
After many attempts, I was finally able to register my Zoom RID on DroneZone. However it still won't appear on the Drone Scanner App? I don't know if that is an Apple IOS issue but I sure wish someone could tell me how to jump the next hurtle. I purchased a module for my Pro Platinum and that drone's information comes up immeadiately on the Drone Scanner? Anybody have any ideas?

I don't know if that is an Apple IOS issue
iOS definitely has problems using the Wifi broadcast of RID info.

If you are using an iOS device, you can go to the Wifi section of the Settings. Turn on Wifi on the iOS device and see your RID S/N pop up as an available network.
That's proof enough for me that my drones are broadcasting.

iOS definitely has problems using the Wifi broadcast of RID info.

If you are using an iOS device, you can go to the Wifi section of the Settings. Turn on Wifi on the iOS device and see your RID S/N pop up as an available network.
That's proof enough for me that my drones are broadcasting.
Thank you for the information. Does the S/N number come up in the wifi network settings or are you talking about the drone scanner app?

Last edited:
Turn on Wifi on the iOS device
Open the Wifi section of the device that you have connected to your controller OR even a different iOS device.
Thats where you will see the RID info .... no app involved.
The Drone Scanner app is useless on iOS devices.

does anyone know if its possible to downgrade the software to a pre RID level on the mavic 2 ?
I don't have a helpful response to this question but I am curious as to why you intend to remove the RID enabling "upgrade". Did the addition of RID degrade the M2P's performance in any way? Enquiring minds demand to know.

does anyone know if its possible to downgrade the software to a pre RID level on the mavic 2 ?
If you have the latest firmware 01.00.0797 it is possible to downgrade it to 01.00.0790, which I believe is pre-RID. You can use DJI assistant to downgrade.

Reactions: Mrprop365
I don't have a helpful response to this question but I am curious as to why you intend to remove the RID enabling "upgrade". Did the addition of RID degrade the M2P's performance in any way? Enquiring minds demand to know.
Not interested in breaking the law, just hesitant about any update on any device. Also I am nervous about this "error 180" thing that people are getting. Does everyone who update get this or just certain people?

Did the update. Got error 180, fixed that. Now I'm getting an error labeled "remote ID error. Unable to take off. Make sure DJI fly can access mobile devices location. Flying without broadcasting required remote ID messages made violate local regulations." What I find weird about this is that I'm using DJI go 4 (fully updated) not DJI fly. Any assistance is appreciated. (FYI I am using the smart controller)

I'm starting to see a disturbing number of complaints from DJI quadcopter owners who updated for Remote ID compliance, only to find that their drone was bricked as a result.

I'm in the market for another Mavic 2 Pro but I will now need to ascertain that the latest firmware update has NOT been installed before I buy one. Thank goodness I reside in the Third World where the FAA and CAA shackles are but distant curiosities. I cannot imagine wading through all the rules and regulations just to fly a drone around my home.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas