DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 APAS test at golden hour + Dlogs - Video

No joke I am going for gators this weekend needs to be in a cold morning to have better chances.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Sweet.

I wonder, do mavics avoid incoming objects when hovering as well? Say, a bird flies into your drone. Will the drone dodge?
That's a good question. I assume it would move if it was quick enough but I doubt birds would fly towards it. I fly around birds in my backyard and they fly away when they hear or see it.

That's a good question. I assume it would move if it was quick enough but I doubt birds would fly towards it. I fly around birds in my backyard and they fly away when they hear or see it.
I gotta say that must depend on the birds. Hawks and seagulls will try to chase away and divebomb my M1P.

Mike

I was testing yesterday my Mavic 3 APAS 5 around trees over the water at golden hour.
Any constructive critics are welcome !!! I would like to upload the RAW and see what the expert can do with it.

That footage was amazing. Now that I have said that, you must be very brave or a very good swimmer testing a new drone over water and hoping APAS actually works and not drown your drone.

Reactions: zeusfl
You only have to trust the tech and not freak out.

Of course it fails. But not as often as it looks like, since failures tend to be reported more than successes, so whenever you google for it you will find plenty of failure but little success beyond marketingish reviews.

Also, as of late I've noticed that people have a tendency to assume the worst. It's like they are expecting stuff to fail.

Reactions: GrimtheViking
I've been flying mine over a lake behind my house and in between trees and the M3 obstacle avoidance has been flawless so far. The trees are all full of leaves though, no twigs here in Florida and I watch closely as I fly slowly and it's been miraculous how good it is.

On second thought - how much are those wetsuits and can our drone survive being submerged in water even momentarily?

ANd one question from me ? How high where you flying from the water surface?
About 1.5 - 2 FT APAS does not allow you to go 1FT. I try.

Lol. You say that like someone who believes the tech never fails. Still gotta be pretty wild flying through trees over alligator infested water.

Apparently gators eat drones @zeusfl ?
Not Yet. Check this video taken with my M2P at the 2:00 Minutes

I've been flying mine over a lake behind my house and in between trees and the M3 obstacle avoidance has been flawless so far. The trees are all full of leaves though, no twigs here in Florida and I watch closely as I fly slowly and it's been miraculous how good it is.

On second thought - how much are those wetsuits and can our drone survive being submerged in water even momentarily?
Personally I don't think the wet suit makes the drone water proof and is not design make the drone survive under waters. Is more to make it water resistant when flying. For me personally the most important part is protect the battery area since motors are known to negotiate water and camera as well, but if the battery is compromised with water, bye bye drone it can fall from the sky quickly.

Now for an extra layer of security is the rescue jacket that keep floating the drone over the water.

I know we are off topic but i want to give you my odds.

Of course it fails. But not as often as it looks like, since failures tend to be reported more than successes, so whenever you google for it you will find plenty of failure but little success beyond marketingish reviews.

Also, as of late I've noticed that people have a tendency to assume the worst. It's like they are expecting stuff to fail.
Technology of curse fail. I will tell you what really make me nervous, On the video flying a full speed 1.5 from the water for long period really scare to me. The vision sensors are known to have problem with reflection over the water specially those waters that are like mirrors. I was just praying to don't have the drone dropping to the water at that speed since i will don't have time for corrections at that low altitude 1.5 ft.

Check the video at 2:48

Reactions: slozukimc
Not Yet. Check this video taken with my M2P at the 2:00 Minutes
Looks like the 'gator does not care about the drone as long as you don't bother him.

Looks like the 'gator does not care about the drone as long as you don't bother him.
I do have a new level of awareness since I have seen these gators stand up out of the water to take down a drone but that zoom is going to allow for some distance to get a nice captures.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I do have a new level of awareness since I have seen these gators stand up out of the water to take down a drone but that zoom is going to allow for some distance to get a nice captures.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
How high can they jump? I guess if you stay a little bit higher than 'gator jump + water splash you should be ok

How high can they jump? I guess if you stay a little bit higher than 'gator jump + water splash you should be ok
Saw a video where the gator from the water went up maybe 4 ft and snatched the drone out of the sky, since I had no idea that they had that ability , it caught me off guard . lol Glad we do not have gators or that might have been me.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the Storm and Land on the Water.

Saw a video where the gator from the water went up maybe 4 ft and snatched the drone out of the sky, since I had no idea that they had that ability , it caught me off guard . lol Glad we do not have gators or that might have been me.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the Storm and Land on the Water.
One of the benefits of dealing with snow all winter. No dinosaurs all summer.

• Haha
WOW. On several levels. Beautiful place, beautiful video, beautiful flying. Impressive demonstration of APAS.

The color grading and editing are very nice, but I'm focused now on the APAS tests. Are the clips flying through the trees at actual speed and 1X zoom? Have you done similar flights with drones other than the Mavic 3? Did you override the APAS maneuvers at all?

I don't think I could have avoided hitting reverse in a few of those situations. I was reaching for the right stick just watching the video. You must have particularly steely nerves, lots of confidence in APAS on the ME, and/or a huge drone budget.

Thanks very much for sharing this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Rick