DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Blurry Images

gschiffverre

Reactions
Since purchasing my M3P I have noticed that many of my images are blurry even at f4 when zoomed in even at center. All images are at shutter speeds that would eliminate motion blur. Images taken at F2.8 are so bad in the corners some are unusable. I have sent it in and been told by DJI there is no issue. My Mavic 2 Pro never had these image sharpness problems even wide open and often at fairly low shutter speeds that you'd expect would cause motion blur. The Tropical scene is F4 1/640. Bridge is F2.8 1/1000. While this may be acceptable for social media I need to be able to print these images for clients professionally. Thanks!View attachment mavic3lowres.jpgView attachment mavic3lowres2.jpg

Since DJI checked out the unit and found no issues, perhaps it is your technique. I, too, produce large prints and sell them. I demand the best quality I can get out of these flying cameras. I never shoot wide open . Usually f5.6 - f8. I determine my position and then hover in place for at least five seconds to let the craft stabilize itself. I select my focus area on the screen and make a few exposures. Perhaps one will be sharper than the others. If it is windy or In low light, I will open the aperture a bit to regain a faster shutter speed. Some days it just doesn't pan out, but I most usually get what I need.

Couple things to note: We only take pictures in the storm and there not blurry or out of focus so I am thinking as others have suggested its how your taking them.

Always capture a few Pics with the Auto Settings , just so you can compare that your shutter speed and ISO and exposure are really helping the situation.

Learn how to time the wind and angle the wind, there are certain angles where the wind is cross checking the Camera causing just a little buffering to the camera, this can be solved by facing the wind backwards or forwards but dont let the wind cross sideways on the drone. .

Obviously you want to get the cleanest picture you can before editing and these tips may help you.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water .

Reactions: Torque
Since purchasing my M3P I have noticed that many of my images are blurry even at f4 when zoomed in even at center. All images are at shutter speeds that would eliminate motion blur. Images taken at F2.8 are so bad in the corners some are unusable. I have sent it in and been told by DJI there is no issue. My Mavic 2 Pro never had these image sharpness problems even wide open and often at fairly low shutter speeds that you'd expect would cause motion blur. The Tropical scene is F4 1/640. Bridge is F2.8 1/1000. While this may be acceptable for social media I need to be able to print these images for clients professionally. Thanks!View attachment 160782View attachment 160783
The photo of the bridge is clearly blurry in the upper right corner, too much to be acceptable. But this is shot at f/2.8, it will likely improve a lot if you stop down to 5.6 or 8. The other corners are also a bit blurry, but not much more than to be expected from a wideangle lens of, let's admit it, mediocre quality. Even expensive dSLR wideangles have blurry corners at wide open aperture.
Central sharpness is very good in your photo, indicating that it has nothing to do with motion blur, wind or other external issues.
You can never expect "professional" image quality from a consumer drone like a Mavic,, there are too many compromises in the optical system.

Oh, and please stop using the term "M3P", it is too easy to confuse it with a M3P (Mini 3 Pro). You have a Mavic 3.

One soultion to overcome blurry corners, is to crop the photo afterwards. Include a little more than needed during shooting, and cut the corners in post processing. You lose a little resolution, but that is usually a small price to pay.

Reactions: MS Coast
I have shots at 2 or 3 seconds exposure time (night images) and the image it is crystal clear. Mavic 3 Classic.
There is something wrong with the camera at your drone. The images are not ok.
Look at the gimbal if everything it is in place. As the images are, I suspect something wrong with the stabilization.
Try some test photos with the drone placed on a table or something like that.

Reactions: JeffreyS

Attachments

• Bridge.jpg
    Bridge.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 101
In this case, the lens are not well centered.
Yes, it looks like the upper right corner is much more blurry than the other corners. But more tests should be done to conclude.

Since purchasing my M3P I have noticed that many of my images are blurry even at f4 when zoomed in even at center. All images are at shutter speeds that would eliminate motion blur. Images taken at F2.8 are so bad in the corners some are unusable. I have sent it in and been told by DJI there is no issue. My Mavic 2 Pro never had these image sharpness problems even wide open and often at fairly low shutter speeds that you'd expect would cause motion blur. The Tropical scene is F4 1/640. Bridge is F2.8 1/1000. While this may be acceptable for social media I need to be able to print these images for clients professionally. Thanks!View attachment 160782View attachment 160783
Looks like motion blur to me which I would not expect at the shutter speeds you are shooting at. I shoot WAY slower than you are and don't get this much blur unless I have moved the drone during the shot or I didn't allow the drone to settle before taking the shot. I also do a lot of bracketed shots and they mostly align sharp. What were the wind conditions during each photo and are bracketed shots?

Edit: Sorry one more question, what editing have you done to the photos?

Since purchasing my M3P I have noticed that many of my images are blurry even at f4 when zoomed in even at center. All images are at shutter speeds that would eliminate motion blur. Images taken at F2.8 are so bad in the corners some are unusable. I have sent it in and been told by DJI there is no issue. My Mavic 2 Pro never had these image sharpness problems even wide open and often at fairly low shutter speeds that you'd expect would cause motion blur. The Tropical scene is F4 1/640. Bridge is F2.8 1/1000. While this may be acceptable for social media I need to be able to print these images for clients professionally.
Lots of variation in IQ( lens decentering or lens softness in certain regions of the frame) with Mavic 3, unfortunatelly. Some buyers get lucky and get a reasonably good one, I dare to say though that most get not. There is also a measure of expectation or tolerance different users have.
If you are not happy with yours, send it back. But be prepared for a fight with DJI or your retailer because you might need to go through a process of sending a good few back untill you find a good one or at least one with acceptable IQ to you.
From what I have seen a really good ones with sharp corners and without softness in some regions of the frame are rare as gold...

Lots of variation in IQ( lens decentering or lens softness in certain regions of the frame) with Mavic 3, unfortunatelly. Some buyers get lucky and get a reasonably good one, I dare to say though that most get not. There is also a measure of expectation or tolerance different users have.
If you are not happy with yours, send it back. But be prepared for a fight with DJI or your retailer because you might need to go through a process of sending a good few back untill you find a good one or at least one with acceptable IQ to you.
From what I have seen a really good ones with sharp corners and without softness in some regions of the frame are rare as gold...
Also, not sure what focusing method you use. For these distant landscape shots I find MF to be more reliable, delivering consistently sharp photos.
Processing can also make a significant difference. I only shoot DNG and use Capture One for processing. The files from Mavic 3 take well fair amount of sharpening and do look quite crisp after. The C1 also allows for corner softness to be improved through Manual Lens Correction tool tab.
But no matter what processing tricks I apply the corners from my Mavic 3 are not that good. And this the third one!! Two Cine I tried were really BAD!! Decentered lens, blurry regions, just terrible! This third one is the non Cine version and is sort of ok. I needed to do a few jobs so I could not continue sending them back. It was a 2 weeks turnaround each time and it was becoming a tedious process so I settled for this one. The areas near the corners are strangely blurred and then the corner tips get sharper again. Go figure...DJI_0755.jpg

Last edited:
Another way of "dealing with the shortcomings" is to crop. I never really liked 4:3 ratio landscape photos and mostly crop to either 3:2 or pano like 16:9 or whatever. That way the softest areas of the image get cropped off🙂

Awesome photo

Which one?
dji_0755-jpg.160807

Looked pretty darn soft to me.
I do not know if this straight OOC JPEG or processed one. And if processed how processed, so it is hard to pass judgement. From my experience the DNG files from M3 look pretty soft without any sharpening applied. But they do look much sharper and crisper when decent amount of USM is applied.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50