DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 camera upgrade

abelg4519

Reactions
Hello, I recently purchased the Mavic 3 only to discover DJI would release the Mavic 3 thermal. Is there any way to upgrade the camera and/or internals of the original Mavic 3 to have the M3T camera?? I already have the RC PRO and multiple batteries so I figured it might be cheaper to upgrade the camera, if possible.

Reactions: deanbush
Most likely a question for DJI support. I know the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom cameras could be swapped, but no idea about the Mavic 3

Reactions: abelg4519
DJI support is most certainly going to say it's not a possibility -- even if they could technically do it (or teach you how to do it). Also, making such modifications (or attempting to do so) would void your DJI warranty.

DJI support is most certainly going to say it's not a possibility -- even if they could technically do it (or teach you how to do it). Also, making such modifications (or attempting to do so) would void your DJI warranty.
Oh I know they would warn me not to do such a thing, I would never open the hood on my drone. I only assumed such a task was possible directly through DJI, I would never dare do such a thing to my M3!

Your RC Pro, Model RM510A, is also not compatible with the Mavic 3 Thermal.
The Mavic 3 Thermal requires the RC Pro Enterprise, Model RM510B, which runs the new DJI Pilot 2 app, which is the only app for the Mavic 3 Thermal. The Fly app on the RC Pro is incompatible with the Mavic 3 Thermal.

So, you'll need to sell both the Mavic 3 and the RC Pro, to get the correct, compatible versions of the Mavic 3 and the RC Pro for the Mavic 3 Thermal. Batteries and props are the same, though.

Last edited:
Have you confirmed the props are the same? The M3E (sister to the M3T) uses different props from the "consumer" M3 models.

Thankfully, the batteries are physically the same, so I can use all ten on my M3, M3Cine, and M3E. There is still an issue with firmware warnings when interchanging between Enterprise and Consumer aircraft.
Batteries and props are the same, though.

Have you confirmed the props are the same? The M3E (sister to the M3T) uses different props from the "consumer" M3 models.

Thankfully, the batteries are physically the same, so I can use all ten on my M3, M3Cine, and M3E. There is still an issue with firmware warnings when interchanging between Enterprise and Consumer aircraft.
I have both the M3T and M3. The props are a little bit different. However, I’ve switched the M3T props out for M3 Master Airscrew props due to them being a little bit quieter. Have done dozen of flights and they work great.

As for the batteries, I too get the “upgrade firmware” message when switching them between the M3T and regular M3. As far as I can tell, the only thing which the firmware does is allow the lights on the battery to go off when flying in discreet mode on the M3T.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Thanks for the corrections. I don't have the M3T, so those were assumptions. I like the discreet stealth mode of the M3 batteries at night, so I just put gaffers tape over them before launching! Same with the rest of the LED's, as necessary. Problem solved. Manual discreet stealth mode on the Mavic 3, saving thousands of dollars! LOL!

Your RC Pro, Model RM510A, is also not compatible with the Mavic 3 Thermal.
The Mavic 3 Thermal requires the RC Pro Enterprise, Model RM510B, which runs the new DJI Pilot 2 app, which is the only app for the Mavic 3 Thermal. The Fly app on the RC Pro is incompatible with the Mavic 3 Thermal.

So, you'll need to sell both the Mavic 3 and the RC Pro, to get the correct, compatible versions of the Mavic 3 and the RC Pro for the Mavic 3 Thermal. Batteries and props are the same, though.
Exactly. The RC Pro controller is not identical with the M3E controller and does not work with the M3E.

Oh I know they would warn me not to do such a thing, I would never open the hood on my drone. I only assumed such a task was possible directly through DJI, I would never dare do such a thing to my M3!
It's possible, but is definitely won't be sanctioned by DJI for countless legal and safety reasons.

However, I know someone that has done it. Try You Tube, you'll find the way there.

It's possible, but is definitely won't be sanctioned by DJI for countless legal and safety reasons.

However, I know someone that has done it. Try You Tube, you'll find the way there.
Assuming success, how does that overcome the OP's other problem of converting his RC Pro to an RC Pro Enterprise? One without the other still won't solve his problem. He bought the wrong drone and the wrong RC.

Reactions: Suren
Hello, I recently purchased the Mavic 3 only to discover DJI would release the Mavic 3 thermal. Is there any way to upgrade the camera and/or internals of the original Mavic 3 to have the M3T camera?? I already have the RC PRO and multiple batteries so I figured it might be cheaper to upgrade the camera, if possible.
Yes totally possible as they are the exact same chassis and it is to expensive for dji to not keep as many of the same parts the same to keep cost down. Then it comes will they do it? Absolutely not. Most likely they will tell you that for the money you would be better off trading yours in and buying a M3T as we all have eight grand lying around. Has it been long since hmyou purchased? Could you return and buy the one you want?

I have both the M3T and a plain old M3. You actually would end up replacing so many items, it would be not economically advantageous. The motherboard in the drone is different and incorporates the PSDK port, where accessories like the RTK module interfaces or spotlights, speakers and so on. The Drone has more memory installed. It incorporates a built in upper strobe, which has its own board and cable that goes to the Enterprise motherboard. The rear shell is different, it has the strobe housing. The upper shell is different, it has connections for the PSDK accessories and the hard point mount. The controller is different, has more memory and different firmware and software. The mid-frame is also different to route the cables for the different components and reinforce the hard points for the PSDK mountings, strobe motherboard mounts.

I tried this on the M2 Pro, got all the parts, but was unable to flash the firmware (found all the boards and cables for cheap by absolute chance). You would have the same issue with the M3T if you went through he expense of swapping out all the parts. The serial number would not be in the database and it would not let it download the software or fly. Kind of like what happens with demo drones. If you look on Ali Express, you can find motherboards, for just plain M3's and that alone is almost $700. I have never seen the M3 enterprise motherboards. The camera would be über expensive, considering the M3 Pro gimbal/camera assembly is over $700. The camera is larger than the M3, so the gimbal is slightly different as well.

Sell the M3 and just bite the bullet and buy the M3T. It is actually a very cool drone with some very unique capabilities. It also has some limitations. Visual camera is not as good, with electronic only shutter and no RTK time sync. Kind of why I have an M3E as well. You really cannot do precision 3D maps with the 3T without the time sync corrections for the 1 cm accuracy you get with the 3E.
spot3.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne