DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Cine Chicago Gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I'm saying that you should use the last known location in the fly app to figure out where the drone is and use the AirTag for a more precise location.
There are very many cases where the last known location in the app isn't where the aircraft is.

There are much better trackers that don't rely on proximity.

I haven't personally, but I do remember seeing a YouTube video about 2 months ago on this... I can't seem to find it unfortunately. The airtag "worked" but you had to be in fairly close proximity for it to do any good. The owner of the video stated that he would stick with flashing lights or something that makes a loud tone in the event of a crash.
I have a set of those

I wonder of flying the Cine with a paired RC-N1 (standard) Controller put you at a disadvantage. Not sure what on earth the RC Pro has wrong with it, but I will buy the one you chose not to use from you. I asked DJI why they were selling the Drone with an Occusync 2.0 controller. That's what the Specs show, even on Mavic 3 Page. DJI responded by changing the specs page last week from just saying it's "Occusync 2.0" to NOW saying this:

• When used with different aircraft hardware configurations, DJI RC-N1 Remote Controllers will automatically select the corresponding firmware version for updating and support the following transmission technologies enabled by the hardware performance of the linked aircraft models:
    a. DJI Mini 2/ DJI Mavic Air 2: O2
    b. DJI Air 2S: O3
    c. DJI Mavic 3: O3+

Still, the Latency is a bit less with RC Pro and I have to believe it's the best way to communicate without a 3rd party device in the mix (your IPhone 13 Pro Max)

Not that any of this helps now. Good luck with DJI. Please tell me you didn't go flying in Chicago without DJI Care Refresh after spending $5k on this.

I'm not trying to be harsh, just trying to understand.

Reactions: Surge
I wonder of flying the Cine with a paired RC-N1 (standard) Controller put you at a disadvantage. Not sure what on earth the RC Pro has wrong with it, but I will buy the one you chose not to use from you. I asked DJI why they were selling the Drone with an Occusync 2.0 controller. That's what the Specs show, even on Mavic 3 Page. DJI responded by changing the specs page last week from just saying it's "Occusync 2.0" to NOW saying this:

• When used with different aircraft hardware configurations, DJI RC-N1 Remote Controllers will automatically select the corresponding firmware version for updating and support the following transmission technologies enabled by the hardware performance of the linked aircraft models:

Still, the Latency is a bit less with RC Pro and I have to believe it's the best way to communicate without a 3rd party device in the mix (your IPhone 13 Pro Max)

Not that any of this helps now. Good luck with DJI. Please tell me you didn't go flying in Chicago without DJI Care Refresh after spending $5k on this.

I'm not seeing anywhere where the OP said which controller he was using. Doesn't the CINE only come with the RC Pro?

Also, not seeing where there is any supposed issue with the RC PRo....

Reactions: Sakumar
Might have been Rotor Riots FPV test ?

Very entertaining video (not to mention the usual FPV action), and yes with the Apple phone / device network, you might have some luck, more than tiles that's for sure.
They did”nt work for me at all

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
At least you didn’t get robbed , in the traditional sense, when you were on Michigan Avenue.
I know you're joking, but it's not a joking matter. In areas where previously there was virtually no crime, there have been a rash of car jackings. It's scary. There is a medical clinic right in that "rash" area that I have to visit frequently and my other half has to park in front to wait for me. I've beat into her head that she has to lock the car the moment I exit and not open it until the moment I return. I tell her not to be so engrossed in her phone that she loses situational awareness as this stuff happens so fast. It wouldn't surprise me that a whole lot more people are "carrying" who never did before (I know a few).

Reactions: Coskier
Thanks for letting me down DJI having 500gigs of the best Chicago pro res footage I ever captured and becoming unresponsive and breaking total connection to my app and flying away on me and recording an inaccurate home point….$5k gone and priceless footage for a client! SO bummed on DJI right now.
I've flown in Chicago, extremely hard. Signal lost immediately out of nowhere. A few years ago my little mavic air had to fight the drone drawing into the building. Dont know how I landed that one. This year mavic pro. Stats looked good took it up. As the drone started to lift it drew towards the canal went in atti and all I could do is crash land into the railing before the drone ended up in the canal. BTW. I flew the Lake and that was fine. Take the risk Downtown. Do they have jammers!

I still want to see a good comparison with both remotes, back to back, one battery each at least.
For AirTags to work, they have to be close to an iOS device running certain versions of iOS.

So after flying away, the drone would have to have landed or crashed near people.

And if a person found it, they could dispose of the AirTag and have themselves a free drone.

How do people affix it anyways? You have to be able to replace the battery at some point.
If a person finds it, they're keeping it regardless of the AirTag lol. The benefit of the AirTag vs Tile is that their network is larger since more people use Apple's OS's that help you find AirTags.

For my FPV drones, I just used a heavy duty rubber band. You can also use heavy duty velcro. The battery is user replaceable in both Tile and AirTags.

I've flown in Chicago, extremely hard. Signal lost immediately out of nowhere. A few years ago my little mavic air had to fight the drone drawing into the building. Dont know how I landed that one. This year mavic pro. Stats looked good took it up. As the drone started to lift it drew towards the canal went in atti and all I could do is crash land into the railing before the drone ended up in the canal. BTW. I flew the Lake and that was fine. Take the risk Downtown. Do they have jammers!

This reminded me of when I took off from a large "patio" area on the 7th floor of a high rise with tall buildings ahead, about 100 ft or more apart. Ahead about 1/2 mile I could see church that looked like an interesting subject to head for. As my M2P got about 200 ft out it kicked into atti mode and was like driving on black ice without brakes. It was scary as I struggled to maintain control and not crash into either buildings on the sides, but again, 100 feet apart, leaving at least 50 ft of space on each side of center. I felt totally lucky to be able to bring my drone back and land it. In this case I believe that the buildings had to eclipse the GPS, but I've also flown in high rise areas where my M2 hadn't flown far away and gotten interference. One would think that the M3 would be way more solid in urban environments.

Thanks, I read through the manual and watched some videos on the Air 2S on the RTH. For the Mavic 3, if there were enough satellites and the Home was recorded, shouldn't it come back?

What would cause it not to RTH?

Even if the home was recorded properly before flying, if satellites were lost during flight (say because by buildings in a city) would that cause RTH not to work correctly?

For the Failsafe RTH, the manual notes:

"If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH automatically activates after the remote controller signal is lost for more than six seconds. Note that the action the aircraft performs when the remote controller is lost must be set to Return to Home in DJI Fly.

When the lighting is sufficient and the vision systems are working normally, DJI Fly will display the RTH path that was generated by the aircraft before the remote controller signal was lost. The aircraft will return to the Home Point on the best possible path according to the environment. The aircraft will remain in RTH even if the remote controller signal is restored.

When the lighting is not sufficient and the vision systems are not available, the aircraft will enter Original Route RTH."

Manual also notes:

"The aircraft may not be able to return to the Home Point normally if the GNSS signal is weak or unavailable. The aircraft may enter ATTI mode if the GNSS signal becomes weak or unavailable after entering Failsafe RTH. The aircraft will hover in place for a while before landing."

Maybe in the OP case the RTH was not set or the GPS signal was lost? Or something else on the unit malfunctioned?

I also read for the DJI Care Refresh to use the Fly Away the fee is $739 for the Mavic 3 and $1,89 for the Mavi 3 Cine.

thanks.

I cannot imagine what you’re going through but I feel your pain Dji should not hesitate to just send you a new one that’s the whole purpose of having home return and redundancy back ups so this won’t happen especially the guys like you that buy the most expensive one it should not of happened as far as I’m concerned I’ve been flying five years with their drones Mavic pro one Maverick Pro two phantom for pro I’ve had a few small incidents with the phantom where it started just taking off in a different direction after hitting the home point to come home luckily it was close so to all the guys reading watch your little map if you still have a signal sounds like this maverick three I’ve read a few post people losing signals,I’m a biblical guy so my prayers go out to you that somehow or another you’ll get a new drone and Dji does the right thing

...What would cause it not to RTH?

Maybe in the OP case the RTH was not set or the GPS signal was lost? Or something else on the unit malfunctioned?
It exists numerous reasons for a AC not being able to RTH ... you have pinpointed a few & to that you can add a crash, a total power loss or a HP not set where he took off instead somewhere else along the flight path (he didn't have enough good positional data from the GPS when he took off).

But as it is now, all we can do is worthless speculation ... it will not bring us closer to what actually happened. As soon as the OP decides to share the flight log we most probably can see thing's clearer.

Last edited:
Just curious how you lost 500 Gig's sorry for your loss :confused:

The Mavic 3 can go up to 1tb of memory. He mentioned it was lost for the client. So I would suspect he had a large card on a commercial job, and if the M3 was lost so was the data on the card.
Still sounds like more than one flight. I'm a little more cautious I guess. I switch out.

FYI: This was in another post. A reply from DJI regarding RTH.

In regards to the Advanced RTH, the aircraft generates a map by using vision sensors and automatically plan a RTH route to return to the Home Point. When the ratio of (RTH altitude minus 10 meters) and straight-line distance from the aircraft and Home Point is 1:3, the aircraft will dive towards the ground, and when it reaches 10 meters above the Home Point, the aircraft will land. The aircraft can avoid obstacles during Power Saving RTH. The planned path will be displayed in the map of the app and adjusted in real time based on the current operating environment. DJI Mavic 3 has a maximum forward-sensing distance of 200 meters during RTH. During flight, Mavic 3 will 3D map the surrounding environment in real time by using vision systems and use this map to determine the safest, most energy-efficient flight route to return the drone to its home point. Please refer to the information below. Also, please be advised that DJI Mavic 3 will only work with the DJI Fly app.

Still sounds like more than one flight. I'm a little more cautious I guess. I switch out.
And the golden rule about not keeping all your data on one card. With the size of files and amount of IMPORTANT data for the job, I would think a change in cards with at battery swap may have saved some of the job.

Its the Cine version of the M3 meaning it has a 1Tb internal ssd.
And the golden rule about not keeping all your data on one card. With the size of files and amount of IMPORTANT data for the job, I would think a change in cards with at battery swap may have saved some of the job.
The OP is using the Cine version of the M3. You cannot swap out the 1TB internal ssd.

Reactions: Reid937 and Rchawks
Its the Cine version of the M3 meaning it has a 1Tb internal ssd.

The OP is using the Cine version of the M3. You cannot swap out the 1TB internal ssd.
Buy you can dump the existing footage to a portable drive. Lost data is just as costly as a lost M3. Just saying.

At least you didn’t get robbed , in the traditional sense, when you were on Michigan Avenue.
He flew on Michigan Avenue?

Isn't that dead center of the city, surrounded by skyscrapers?

That might explain the lost signal?

Not allowed to fly there are you? Maybe the cops took it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J