DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 color shifting in white balance / color tint

To some degree that's because comparing images developed with different RAW converters, see Post #200. Another reason is production spread, not unsusal for DJI in early production stages of their drones, see #209.

Reactions: Point Zero
To some degree that's because comparing images developed with different RAW converters, see Post #200. Another reason is production spread, not unsusal for DJI in early production stages of their drones, see #209.

If its production spread, I have to replace my drone again. But I will wait for now for some fw-updates. If it's not fixed in February, I will send it back for the third time..

I have done some testing on my fourth Mavic 3. This issue is also present in this unit. However at 2.8 it seems to be less visible. Sample pictures taken with 2.8 and 3.2 with just seconds apart. Could it be that some correction is applied with aperture 2.8 but not in 3.2 (and other apertures) ? Same settings in Lightroom, Dehaze +50. I normally don't use this high setting in Dehaze. With this unit it takes few minutes after take off for the horizon to level, that is why the horizon is off in the sample photos.

View attachment DJI_0716.jpg

View attachment DJI_0719.jpg

Last edited:
I have done some testing on my fourth Mavic 3. This issue is also present in this unit. However at 2.8 it seems to be less visible. Sample pictures taken with 2.8 and 3.2 with just seconds apart. Could it be that some correction is applied with aperture 2.8 but not in 3.2 (and other apertures) ? Same settings in Lightroom, Dehaze +50. I normally don't use this high setting in Dehaze. With this unit it takes few minutes after take off for the horizon to level, that is why the horizon is off in the sample photos.

View attachment 140819

View attachment 140820
The horizon would be enough for me to send it back, let alone the haze. It blows my mind that they say that is within specification. But I suppose it's fully expected from them based on their past.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
The horizon would be enough for me to send it back, let alone the haze. It blows my mind that they say that is within specification. But I suppose it's fully expected from them based on their past.
I completely agree with the first part of your response but come on, the M2P was an incredible drone, we all had a lot of fun with it. Its why I am feeling so disappointed because how can a company like DJI drop the ball so terribly THREE YEARS later?

I completely agree with the first part of your response but come on, the M2P was an incredible drone, we all had a lot of fun with it. Its why I am feeling so disappointed because how can a company like DJI drop the ball so terribly THREE YEARS later?
Exactly my thoughts… was really looking forward to and blindly ordered the M3 because of my love for my M2P.

Never thought they could even put their name at risk or damage their reputation in that way.

But like I said earlier… the firmware update feels promising and I look forward to my „completed“ M3 in January.

DJI has always been much more focused on video, than stills. The fact that they have never given the camera a 1 stop exposure bracket, instead of 0.7 is an example. This is a very simple thing to fix as the sensor supports it. DJI also has never IMO really worked the best of the M2 Pro sensor as you should easily be able to get clean ISO 800 out of it, (see any similar Sony RX100 et all camera review on preview.com). as the sensor can get a much better and cleaner output. The original Mavic Pro Platinum had this same issue, and was eventually fixed via firmware (mostly) but I still shot a simple set of LCC frames for it. With a drone, you really only need one set of frames as you won't have movementments (i.e shift). The magenta color should be totally gone in in camera jpgs, only on the dng files as DJI has a good color correction in camera for the jpgs, at least on the Mavic Pro Platinum and Mavic 2 Pro

DJI has a lot to still fix on the Mavic 3 via firmware, as currently they still don't even have the same feature set i.e panos for example unless that has been added with a recent firmware.

Paul

Yeah, DJI really messed up quite badly with the rushed Mavic 3 launch.

Its their money and its their reputation so if they really enjoy squandering both then this launch has been a staggering success.

Thank god for consumer rights and refunds!

What can you really do about it?

Not buy it and continue using the M2P and hope they will iron out the issues with future firmware and hw refinements.

Tested a new unit this afternoon at the excellent Droneland (Almere, The Netherlands. Great service).
The magenta problem is a little less visible, it seems. But when using the same lightroom setting (+90 dehaze, no problem with my M2) as with the previous M3, the problem is still there. So this is returned on the spot. I'll wait till DJI has gotten their stuff in order.

Attachments

• mavic 3 f5.6-0157.jpg
    mavic 3 f5.6-0157.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • mavic 3 f5.6-0155.jpg
    mavic 3 f5.6-0155.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • mavic 3 f5.6-0152.jpg
    mavic 3 f5.6-0152.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
I found that changing the aperture to 2.8 makes the magenta edges go away completely. Higher aperture settings get progressively worse.

I was able to do a lot of M3 experimenting this week flying over snow covered ground.

I wonder why the wider aperture corrects/improves this issue?

Hope this helps others.

I found that changing the aperture to 2.8 makes the magenta edges go away completely. Higher aperture settings get progressively worse.

I was able to do a lot of M3 experimenting this week flying over snow covered ground.

I wonder why the wider aperture corrects/improves this issue?

Hope this helps others.
I noticed the same. I have sample images in post #263. Maybe the correction profile is only working @2.8 at this time? I have contacted DJI support about this, but it is very hard to get a reply from someone who actually knows this stuff.

I'm curious why some units are affected, or more affected, while others are not. Could it be the environment they're shooting in, or is it an actual issue with the lens of the affected unit.

Too soon to tell definitively. I would guess only specific conditions reveal it and others are not noticing it. Someone with a studio and D65 lighting should run some tests. Comparing photos of the sky that are processed in different ways is not going to be conclusive.

Definitely not! :) The red lights are behind the lens and i did some tests with front arms folded back. The magenta cast is still there.

By the way i have already a third Mavic here, there is the same magenta cast.

Definitely not! :) The red lights are behind the lens and i did some tests with front arms folded back. The magenta cast is still there.

By the way i have already a third Mavic here, there is the same magenta cast.
I'll get to test it on friday. Guess this isn't the solution.

Reactions: JustName
I'll get to test it on friday. Guess this isn't the solution.
This is definitely not caused by front red lights, I have set them to auto - this means they will go off when taking shot and magenta cast is present, and in conditions like dark and snow it is doing magenta cast around whole photo - like vigneting not only on sides.

Just made a test with a third M3, this a cine version. Problem is clearly visible with dehaze +90, with the front LED turned off or on. Also tried using f2.8, but that doesn't make any difference either.
Opting for a second hand Inspire 2. This is pretty hopeless.

Attachments

• f2.8 LED on, +90 dehaze -0025.jpg
    f2.8 LED on, +90 dehaze -0025.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 7
  • f5.6 LED off, +90 dehaze -0022.jpg
    f5.6 LED off, +90 dehaze -0022.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 8
  • f5.6 LED off, 0 dehaze -0022.jpg
    f5.6 LED off, 0 dehaze -0022.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 9
  • f2.8 LED off, +90 dehaze -0020.jpg
    f2.8 LED off, +90 dehaze -0020.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 8
  • f2.8 LED off, 0 dehaze -0020.jpg
    f2.8 LED off, 0 dehaze -0020.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 9
  • f5, +90 dehaze v2-0030.jpg
    f5, +90 dehaze v2-0030.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 8
  • f5, 0 dehaze v2-0030.jpg
    f5, 0 dehaze v2-0030.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 8
  • f5, 0 dehaze-0028.jpg
    f5, 0 dehaze-0028.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 8
  • f5, +90 dehaze-0028.jpg
    f5, +90 dehaze-0028.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 8
Don't get me wrong but is there any point in using dehaze +90? I took a lot of pictures with drones and never used dahaze on such a large scale.
It looks like dahaze is a combination of increasing the contrast, blacks and saturation.
Dehaze darkens the picture, especially shaded areas and partially backs up what the M3 lens correction profile applies.

Don't get me wrong but is there any point in using dehaze +90? I took a lot of pictures with drones and never used dahaze on such a large scale.
It looks like dahaze is a combination of increasing the contrast, blacks and saturation.
Dehaze darkens the picture, especially shaded areas and partially backs up what the M3 lens correction profile applies.
As soon as you have to work in low contrast / overcast / moisturous conditions, you will have to use a combination of increased contrast (and highter saturation) to get proper image. Using dehaze is just a simple way to show what is wrong with the M3 sensor. In real life, I would probably use -let's say- dehaze +33. Enough to get a slight (and therefore unusable) image with a magenta color cast. I'm using the +90 setting with every test, to standardize, and make the problem easiliy visible. When using the M2pro, or the Phantom 4 pro, no problem occurs when using the +90 dehaze setting, see my previous post.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne