DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Disappointments

Hi.. I agree with other posters regarding the choppy video.. I only have a 4k Mini 2 but blasted the video card I had because the replay wasn't smooth on an i7 PC..

After some advice here I checked it on another pc.. turns out my lowly Lenovo Yoga 520
(weak CPU but better inbuilt graphics
  • CPU. Intel Pentium 4415U 321.
  • GPU. Intel HD Graphics 610 310.)
Laptop played it back flawlessly.. in the end I replaced my PC's graphics card with a higher end Nvidia and now that's fine too.

Hope this helps somewhat

Reactions: Point Zero
Totally agree. The Phantom 4 and even the Mini 2 turn as expected.

The DJI Fly app, when used with the M3, does actually provide the ability to adjust the sensitivity (Settings > Control > Advanced). Unfortunately, adjusting those settings doesn't seem to help the issues that I have a problem with.
Thanks for the heads-up! I’ll take a look.

i noticed that i have the rth height set to 250 feet.
when i hit the rth button the a/c does not go to 250 feet it just returnd home at the altitude that i was flying at about 125 feet.
any suggestions?
thc D

Hi Dirby. That’s the way the new RTH works during the day when the vision sensors are active. In my experience, the M3 will also start to descend before arriving over the landing spot.

I'm not sure what the problem is. On my RC-Pro (smart controller) I can easily adjust the Gimbal mode (follow or FPV) which might be related to a change in pitch with a change in yaw. Also, under the Advanced Gimbal Settings submenu on the RC-Pro, I can adjust pitch speed and pitch smoothness as well as yaw speed and yaw smoothness. I can make these adjustments for both Normal, Sport, and Cine modes. If I am misinterpreting your concerns, please forgive me.
As a fellow M3 owner, and also familiar with those settings, all I can say is that it is not as simple as changing those settings. There is something hard to define with this drone that results in some control issues.

i noticed that i have the rth height set to 250 feet.
when i hit the rth button the a/c does not go to 250 feet it just returnd home at the altitude that i was flying at about 125 feet.
any suggestions?
thc D
As @jeff Voigt pointed out, this is expected behavior. For more information, check out pages 16-17 of the M3 user manual (v 1.2) available at dji.com. 😉

Reactions: jeff Voigt
TigersFan, thanks for your input. I’m still fine tuning my M3. The EXP on my drone are set to 0.1 across the board. I’m satisfied with the factory preset on the gimbal.

I’d like access to sensitivity and gain settings. Both are available on the Go4 app used to fly the Mavic 2 Pro. They refine the flight quality smoothness of the M2P. These two functions aren’t available on the Go Fly app used for the Mavic 3. Maybe we’ll see some upgrades to the Go Fly app this month with the firmware update.

Hello fellow pilots! So, I purchased a Mavic 3 a while back, and, after flying it for a while, a few disappointments have emerged. I wanted to share those here and see if anyone else has had the same experiences.

First, the SD cards that are recommended in the user manual do not appear to be sufficient for recording video in 5.1K. I have recorded several videos in 5.1K at 50 fps using a brand new SanDisk Extreme UHS-I V30 A2 (512GB) card. All of the videos were so choppy that they were basically useless. Now, before I get roasted on here, I am well aware that this card is not the fastest out there and probably isn't well-suited for recording 5.1K video. However, it is a recommended card for recording in 5.1K at 50 fps according to the user manual, so the fact that a DJI-recommended card does not actually perform as documented is disconcerting. I have ordered a Delkin Power UHS-II V90 card in the hopes that this will allow me to record smooth video at 5.1K. This seems to be the fastest card on the market, so if that doesn't resolve the issue, I might be returning the drone to DJI.

Secondly, I'm disappointed in the flight characteristics of the Mavic 3, specifically when it comes to turns. In previous DJI drones, the pilot could apply yaw and pitch control simultaneously and independently to perform a fast, tight turn (similar to the way most manned aircraft are turned). In the Mavic 3, however, it appears that the flight controls have been modified so that applying only yaw control also automatically applies pitch control to effect a turn. Attempting to apply both yaw and pitch controls really doesn't result in a different turn than applying yaw control alone. I guess this is okay, but I still prefer having full control over the turn with the ability to independently apply yaw and pitch control to execute exactly the kind of turn I want. But by far the most disappointing aspect of this is that when moving forward and yaw is applied to turn, the drone automatically brakes quite a bit. The result is severely limited variation in the kind of turn that can be executed. I noticed this in both normal and sport modes, and it is incredibly frustrating.

Finally, I've noticed that when flying with no cloud cover and the sun is about 30 or so degrees above the horizon, the vision sensors apparently occasionally suffer from lens flare, depending on the drone's orientation to the sun. This causes a notification to be displayed to the pilot stating that the visions sensors are "dirty" and that the vision sensor system is disabled. This notification is intermittently displayed and then disappears as the drone changes position relative to the sun. I still had this problem after confirming that the vision sensors are crystal clear.

Given the very hefty price tag of the Mavic 3, I expected near perfection. With a very high cost comes very high expectations, and I just feel that DJI fell well short of those expectations with this one. Hopefully these issues will be resolved with firmware updates, and hopefully those updates come sooner rather than later. But we shall see.

Have any other Mavic 3 pilots experienced any of these same issues?
Great post wler 711. I completely agree with the unique and disappointing turning characteristics of the M3. You and I posted nearly identical observations. I've refined a couple of setting to make the aircraft turn more sensibly (more of a coordinated turn ... no skidding ... as well as keeping the speed up during turns). First, I adjusted the EXP settings to 0.1 across the board. Second, I turned off the obstacle avoidance. Give this a try and I think you'll see the M3 behaving more gracefully in flight. I do hope DJI adds a "gain" and "sensitivity" function to the DJI Fly app. The DJI Go4 app (used with my Mavic 2 Pro and Inspire 2) employ these two settings as well as the EXP setting. The flight characteristics of the M2P and I2 are still superior to the M3 in my opinion. Both of the older aircraft turn more gracefully. Just my 2 cents. Jeff/Annapolis.

Hello fellow pilots! So, I purchased a Mavic 3 a while back, and, after flying it for a while, a few disappointments have emerged. I wanted to share those here and see if anyone else has had the same experiences.

First, the SD cards that are recommended in the user manual do not appear to be sufficient for recording video in 5.1K. I have recorded several videos in 5.1K at 50 fps using a brand new SanDisk Extreme UHS-I V30 A2 (512GB) card. All of the videos were so choppy that they were basically useless. Now, before I get roasted on here, I am well aware that this card is not the fastest out there and probably isn't well-suited for recording 5.1K video. However, it is a recommended card for recording in 5.1K at 50 fps according to the user manual, so the fact that a DJI-recommended card does not actually perform as documented is disconcerting. I have ordered a Delkin Power UHS-II V90 card in the hopes that this will allow me to record smooth video at 5.1K. This seems to be the fastest card on the market, so if that doesn't resolve the issue, I might be returning the drone to DJI.

Secondly, I'm disappointed in the flight characteristics of the Mavic 3, specifically when it comes to turns. In previous DJI drones, the pilot could apply yaw and pitch control simultaneously and independently to perform a fast, tight turn (similar to the way most manned aircraft are turned). In the Mavic 3, however, it appears that the flight controls have been modified so that applying only yaw control also automatically applies pitch control to effect a turn. Attempting to apply both yaw and pitch controls really doesn't result in a different turn than applying yaw control alone. I guess this is okay, but I still prefer having full control over the turn with the ability to independently apply yaw and pitch control to execute exactly the kind of turn I want. But by far the most disappointing aspect of this is that when moving forward and yaw is applied to turn, the drone automatically brakes quite a bit. The result is severely limited variation in the kind of turn that can be executed. I noticed this in both normal and sport modes, and it is incredibly frustrating.

Finally, I've noticed that when flying with no cloud cover and the sun is about 30 or so degrees above the horizon, the vision sensors apparently occasionally suffer from lens flare, depending on the drone's orientation to the sun. This causes a notification to be displayed to the pilot stating that the visions sensors are "dirty" and that the vision sensor system is disabled. This notification is intermittently displayed and then disappears as the drone changes position relative to the sun. I still had this problem after confirming that the vision sensors are crystal clear.

Given the very hefty price tag of the Mavic 3, I expected near perfection. With a very high cost comes very high expectations, and I just feel that DJI fell well short of those expectations with this one. Hopefully these issues will be resolved with firmware updates, and hopefully those updates come sooner rather than later. But we shall see.

Great post wler 711. I completely agree with the unique and disappointing turning characteristics of the M3. You and I posted nearly identical flight observations. I've refined a couple of setting to make the aircraft turn more sensibly (more of a coordinated turn ... no skidding ... as well as keeping the speed up during turns). First, I adjusted the EXP settings to 0.1 across the board. Second, I turned off the obstacle avoidance. Give this a try and I think you'll see the M3 behaving more gracefully in flight. I do hope DJI adds a "gain" and "sensitivity" function to the DJI Fly app. The DJI Go4 app (used with my Mavic 2 Pro and Inspire 2) employ these two settings as well as the EXP setting. The flight characteristics of the M2P and I2 are still superior to the M3 in my opinion. Both of the older aircraft turn more gracefully. Just my 2 cents. Jeff/Annapolis.

Reactions: maven4336
Great post wler 711. I completely agree with the unique and disappointing turning characteristics of the M3. You and I posted nearly identical flight observations. I've refined a couple of setting to make the aircraft turn more sensibly (more of a coordinated turn ... no skidding ... as well as keeping the speed up during turns). First, I adjusted the EXP settings to 0.1 across the board. Second, I turned off the obstacle avoidance. Give this a try and I think you'll see the M3 behaving more gracefully in flight. I do hope DJI adds a "gain" and "sensitivity" function to the DJI Fly app. The DJI Go4 app (used with my Mavic 2 Pro and Inspire 2) employ these two settings as well as the EXP setting. The flight characteristics of the M2P and I2 are still superior to the M3 in my opinion. Both of the older aircraft turn more gracefully. Just my 2 cents. Jeff/Annapolis.
Thanks Jeff! I prefer to have my EXP settings at about 0.3 just because I like a little more responsiveness to my control inputs, but I’ll try your recommendations to see if that helps. I agree with your comparisons to other drones. I‘ve never had any issues with my Mini 2 or my P4PV2. Hopefully DJI gets this figured out and resolved soon! Thanks again!

Reactions: jeff Voigt
I'm not sure what the problem is. On my RC-Pro (smart controller) I can easily adjust the Gimbal mode (follow or FPV) which might be related to a change in pitch with a change in yaw. Also, under the Advanced Gimbal Settings submenu on the RC-Pro, I can adjust pitch speed and pitch smoothness as well as yaw speed and yaw smoothness. I can make these adjustments for both Normal, Sport, and Cine modes. If I am misinterpreting your concerns, please forgive me.
Sounds like the issue is somewhat to do with the controller. I have the smart controller M3cine and did not notice the jerkyness everyone complains about and the gimble smoothness is adjustable in the advanced gimble menu enough for my liking . . . but like others very disappointed in the choice of DJIFLY instead of the Go4 or Pilot apps

Reactions: maven4336
Sounds like the issue is somewhat to do with the controller. I have the smart controller M3cine and did not notice the jerkyness everyone complains about and the gimble smoothness is adjustable in the advanced gimble menu enough for my liking . . . but like others very disappointed in the choice of DJIFLY instead of the Go4 or Pilot apps
In my experience, these issues were resolved with the latest FW update. I love your signature, btw. The P4 will always have a special place in my heart, and it still love to fly it. But…. 🙂

Yes indeed! The implementation of coordinated turns is a huge issue. No other DJI drone does this. I can see that this might be a useful feature for beginner pilots, but it is a huge hinderance when it comes to manual maneuverability and control. It makes it almost impossible to get smooth shots manually. Everything you said about it is spot on. Not sure why they wouldn’t have the ability to turn this function off in settings. It is so limiting that I find myself going back to my Mavic 2 Pro.

The coordinated turn issue is definitely top of my list, but the crappy remote controller is a close second. How they could justify the removal of all the professional features, such as the telemetry screen, customizable buttons and jog wheel (things I use constantly during flights), while also making it larger and more expensive, is beyond me. And yes, I know the info displayed on the previous telemetry screen is on the app, but having it on the controller was a great safety net for when the app crashes or disconnects.

There are so many other issues with this new drone as well. Just a very disappointing, lack luster product release, from a company I have had nothing but great experiences with for the past 7 years. Definitely not worth the money.

Yes indeed! The implementation of coordinated turns is a huge issue. No other DJI drone does this. I can see that this might be a useful feature for beginner pilots, but it is a huge hinderance when it comes to manual maneuverability and control. It makes it almost impossible to get smooth shots manually. Everything you said about it is spot on. Not sure why they wouldn’t have the ability to turn this function off in settings. It is so limiting that I find myself going back to my Mavic 2 Pro.

The coordinated turn issue is definitely top of my list, but the crappy remote controller is a close second. How they could justify the removal of all the professional features, such as the telemetry screen, customizable buttons and jog wheel (things I use constantly during flights), while also making it larger and more expensive, is beyond me. And yes, I know the info displayed on the previous telemetry screen is on the app, but having it on the controller was a great safety net for when the app crashes or disconnects.

There are so many other issues with this new drone as well. Just a very disappointing, lack luster product release, from a company I have had nothing but great experiences with for the past 7 years. Definitely not worth the money.
Wade, your comments on the M3 are identical to my observations and comments on the M3.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3