DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 DNG issue with Mac

Paulis

Reactions
I couldn't find a thread addressing this problem. I apologize if it has been asked and solved. This is the issue I get after updating the MacBook Pro to MacOS Ventura 13.3.The first pic is the DNG, and the second is the JPG. Mavic 3 {dual camera)

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 3.38.17 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-01 at 3.40.21 PM.png

I couldn't find a thread addressing this problem. I apologize if it has been asked and solved. This is the issue I get after updating the MacBook Pro to MacOS Ventura 13.3.The first pic is the DNG, and the second is the JPG. Mavic 3 {dual camera)

View attachment 162202View attachment 162203
Does it on my Mac only if opened with Preview. It doesn't when opened up with another raw converter like photoshop or Lightroom or DXO etc.
Im thinking it's probably a codec issue from Apple. It's not just with the Mavic 3 files. I am going to assume that the next incremental update 13.4 will have it fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it on my Mac only if opened with Preview. It doesn't when opened up with another raw converter like photoshop or Lightroom or DXO etc.
Im thinking it's probably a codec issue from Apple. It's not just with the Mavic 3 files. I am going to assume that the next incremental update 13.4 will have it fixed.
Under Camera settings, chose JPG or RAW, not both.

I don't see this....I just took an image with just raw and then with raw+jpg and I had no such issue with either. OH! I did not update to 13.3 as I always wait a few weeks to see if there is a problem so...thanks for the heads up! Looks like I will wait...

Last edited:
I don't see this....I just took an image with just raw and then with raw+jpg and I had no such issue with either. OH! I did not update to 13.3 as I always wait a few weeks to see if there is a problem so...thanks for the heads up! Looks like I will wait...
Yes. It's just an issue with MacOS 13.3. and it only affects looking at the raw file thru Apple Preview. I dont use Preview to look at raw files, so it's a non issue with me. Photoshop Raw and Lightroom see them just fine along with DXO Photolab.

Reactions: js47
Yes. It's just an issue with MacOS 13.3. and it only affects looking at the raw file thru Apple Preview. I dont use Preview to look at raw files, so it's a non issue with me. Photoshop Raw and Lightroom see them just fine along with DXO Photolab.
On the line to the apple communities it mentions other programs that use apple's decoding that are affected. One reply mentioned "ACDSee Photo Studio depends on macOS for raw decoding, so it exhibits the same issue." so while most third party apps may be unaffected it depends on whether they use their own decoding algorithms.

Under Camera settings, chose JPG or RAW, not both.
That has no affect on the Raw file. My Air 2S is set for raw only. My mini 3 pro doesn't have that option, just jpg or jpg/raw. Either way, raw only on my air 2s displays the color banding in Preview ONLY in macOS 13.3. It also displays that way in iOS 16.4 iso its an apple issue with the latest updates. As akdrone stated, it also affects 3rd party software that depends on the apple raw decoding but only because it is using the latest apple update.

Last edited by a moderator:
That has no affect on the Raw file. My Air 2S is set for raw only. My mini 3 pro doesn't have that option, just jpg or jpg/raw. Either way, raw only on my air 2s displays the color banding in Preview ONLY in macOS 13.3. It also displays that way in iOS 16.4 iso its an apple issue with the latest updates. As akdrone stated, it also affects 3rd party software that depends on the apple raw decoding but only because it is using the latest apple update.
just wait for 14.1. It should be out in November (joking)

just wait for 14.1. It should be out in November (joking)
I should be getting the 13.4 beta this week to test. It usually takes 6 weeks or so of testing before release. This issue has been reported to Apple, so it should SHOULD be fixed in that version.

I have in the past shot JPEG+RAW but just this past week shot RAW only on the Mavic 3. Loaded the photos on my iPad that runs beta software and got the color bands. Same on the iPhone and my Mac that is on beta software like yourself. Lightroom no issue. I chalked it up to Apple codec, if it’s a temporary thing I will consider switching back to RAW only. If I send a photo to Lightroom from the photos app, it will send the JPEG file. To work on the DNG I need to open Lightroom and import from photos. It would be easier to just have a RAW image that I can send over to Lightroom to edit but still be able to view directly.

My Nikon RAW images dont have this issue, they show correctly in Photos.

I should be getting the 13.4 beta this week to test. It usually takes 6 weeks or so of testing before release. This issue has been reported to Apple, so it should SHOULD be fixed in that version.
Keep us posted. I use Preview frequently....

Question does anyone use on1 photo raw ? I have issues with the DNG files. I have to adjust the lens perspective and I have a tint to the photos that I can not always correct for. On 1 say that are working on a lens correction for the mini 3 pro. But nothing yet. I have no issues with my mavic zoom.

There is a program from Adobe called Digital Negative Converter. It tends to be updated frequently and converts most anything to a usable raw file in the Adobe DNG format. It is free and you just have to poke about on Adobe's website to find it. I will warn you it is an atrocious interface. Comes in Mac and PC versions.

Question does anyone use on1 photo raw ? I have issues with the DNG files. I have to adjust the lens perspective and I have a tint to the photos that I can not always correct for. On 1 say that are working on a lens correction for the mini 3 pro. But nothing yet. I have no issues with my mavic zoom.
CaptureOne allows all sort of lens distortion corrections and it also has tool called lens color profile where you shoot a neutral background such as white wall and the software creates lens color profile to eliminate any color cast towards edges such the one you are experiencing. I would give it a try if I were you. They have 30 day free trial. Just to declare, I have no association with CaptureOne only a happy user of many years for my DSLR cameras and now Mavic3

CaptureOne allows all sort of lens distortion corrections and it also has tool called lens color profile where you shoot a neutral background such as white wall and the software creates lens color profile to eliminate any color cast towards edges such the one you are experiencing. I would give it a try if I were you. They have 30 day free trial. Just to declare, I have no association with CaptureOne only a happy user of many years for my DSLR cameras and now Mavic3
I hello Filmarik,
I also use on1 for my DSLR and mavic zoom. The only issue is with the mini pro 3. I have created a profile for the mini 3. Other that that I like the software. Don't have to have a subscription like adobe.

I hello Filmarik,
I also use on1 for my DSLR and mavic zoom. The only issue is with the mini pro 3. I have created a profile for the mini 3. Other that that I like the software. Don't have to have a subscription like adobe.
Not sure what you are trying to say. I was not talking about on1. I was talking about CaptureOne or C1 in short.

View attachment 162202View attachment 162203
Keep us posted. I use Preview frequently....
This will be fixed in the next Ventura 13.4 update.
My beta shows it's fixed. Should be out in a couple weeks I am assuming

Reactions: PunaPhantom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661