DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 - Gimbal Arm Scratches (out of the box)

I ordered my M3C the day they were offered, at that time there was no foam "U" in my packaging. I did notice the close tolerance between the rear arms and the sides of the gimble when I unboxed and inspected.

I immediately cut a piece of micro-fiber material to fit over the bottom of the gimble housing to alleviate the chance for rubbing. It's a bit of a bummer that this needs to be done on a $5k unit, but that's what happens when one can't wait and Rev. 1 is your only option. I'm glad to hear they have at least admitted the oversight and provided the foam "U." At launch I did see some pictures of some units that were pretty scratched up.

There have been many reports of the gimbal being scratched due to the close tolerance of the arms and motors when folded. Some have placed a protective piece of felt or tape in that area to help protect the gimbal while in transit. It is believed that DJI failed to realize this during the designing process.
I use a aftermarket gimbal cover to help protect mine.
It is just something we have to deal with.
We have a thread talking just about this subject here.
Gimbal Arms Scratch Prevention
Thx for the response.

Yes, I checked the thread you mentioned (btw don’t you worry about the extra weight of the felt tape regarding gimbal operation?).

I find it very easy these scratches to b appear after (not carefully) using the drone for some time.

But I wonder how are already there in a new unit.

Was it misshandled so bad during assembly / packaging? (because it doesn’t look like a refurbished unit).

I really don’t care about the aesthetics (these minor scratches are more of a paint job failure and already difficult to spot with naked eye / photos seem to exaggerate the problem), I would just like to know that they are not a result of gimbal battering.

Do you know of other people receiving new units in a similar condition?

I opened a case @ DJI and I am waiting for instructions to return the unit.

But I really hesitate because of the whole procedure delay and most importantly, about the possibility to receive a refurbished unit (which I don’t believe I now have).

Reactions: GadgetGuy
At launch I did see some pictures of some units that were pretty scratched up.
I suppose that you are referring to units that have been already used and not new ones with scratches out of the box, right?

I suppose that you are referring to units that have been already used and not new ones with scratches out of the box, right?
Actually, I have seen this issue in both scenarios. A few have come out of box like in your case with scratches.
You should be able to receive a replacement unit.

Actually, I have seen this issue in both scenarios. A few have come out of box like in your case with scratches.
You should be able to receive a replacement unit.
Thx again for the info.

Since you have seen this before, I suppose that we can rule out “serious“ things, like being a refurbished unit, a previously owned one etc.

So it must have been poor handling during assembly / packaging or something like that (which cannot be ruled out for the replacement unit, also).

So, aside from the possibility to get a new one without the minor aesthetic problems, I really don’t see any real meaning on waiting for a replacement.

What do you think?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thx again for the info.

Since you have seen this before, I suppose that we can rule out “serious“ things, like being a refurbished unit, a previously owned one etc.

So it must have been poor handling during assembly / packaging or something like that (which cannot be ruled out for the replacement unit, also).

So, aside from the possibility to get a new one without the minor aesthetic problems, I really don’t see any real meaning on waiting for a replacement.

What do you think?
That is entirely up to you. If the aircraft functions ok and you don't mind some blemishes on the gimbal.
Some would say for what they paid that it should be replaced with a pristine unit. It really depends on your own personal satisfaction of the product.

Try wiping it off with a clean damp cloth. Use a a bit of compressed air while holding the gimbal so it doesn’t flop.

I think it’s just dusty like mine was.

Can’t hurt to try.

That is entirely up to you. If the aircraft functions ok and you don't mind some blemishes on the gimbal.
Some would say for what they paid that it should be replaced with a pristine unit. It really depends on your own personal satisfaction of the product.
Yes, I obviously would like a pristine unit (especially for such an expensive product).

But I am taking into account the trouble of returning it and also the chance of getting an even worst unit (as DJI’s QC seems far from perfect).

I haven’t tried to fly the unit yet…

PS What about the extra weight of the felt tape in regards to gimbal operation? Is it a problem?

Try wiping it off with a clean damp cloth. Use a a bit of compressed air while holding the gimbal so it doesn’t flop.

I think it’s just dusty like mine was.

Can’t hurt to try.
I already try that.

As long as the color is still wet, the scratch seems to dissapear.

But when it dries out, the paint failure becomes visible again.

Don't think that'sa corret satment - they have hundreds of pilots at their locations that received product long before we do.
I have it on good authority that all so called "refurbs" are actually brand new units. DJI does not actually repair anything anymore. They create an invoice for repair, have you pay it, or invoke Refresh with a deductible, or cover it under warranty. In all cases, you receive a new unit called a "refurb" in a plain black box.

Drone sent back to DJI (DOA procedure).

I was told that I will get a new one in retail packaging.

I am curious about the condition of the new one (I do not have much trust in DJIs QC / same could happen again).

Drone sent back to DJI (DOA procedure).

I was told that I will get a new one in retail packaging.

I am curious about the condition of the new one (I do not have much trust in DJIs QC / same could happen again).
Exactly. Could be better or could be worse. Cosmetic imperfections on the exterior of the gimbal in no way affect the function, and are part of the "authenticity" of DJI manufacturing, much like other imperfections in nature that we embrace like knots in wood. Much more important is a gimbal that has a level horizon and responds appropriately. That's all that matters to me.

Exactly. Could be better or could be worse. Cosmetic imperfections on the exterior of the gimbal in no way affect the function, and are part of the "authenticity" of DJI manufacturing, much like other imperfections in nature that we embrace like knots in wood. Much more important is a gimbal that has a level horizon and responds appropriately. That's all that matters to me.
True.
I was not worried about the cosmetics, I was just afraid how much the gimbal was battered in order the scratches to appear / which could have lead to operating problems (long shot, I know, but I wanted piece of mind / not that returning it guarantees that…)

True.
I was not worried about the cosmetics, I was just afraid how much the gimbal was battered in order the scratches to appear / which could have lead to operating problems (long shot, I know, but I wanted piece of mind / not that returning it guarantees that…)
That's where testing the gimbal function comes into play. Even a cosmetically perfect gimbal can have issues. The important aspect is to get a properly functioning gimbal, although I understand your concerns. The gimbals are actually far more robust than most people realize. They get knocked around quite a lot in normal handling on the ground. Takes a real hard fall or crash to mess them up. However, DJI now locks the gimbal on the M3 upon powering down,to make it easier to install the muzzle.

That's where testing the gimbal function comes into play. Even a cosmetically perfect gimbal can have issues. The important aspect is to get a properly functioning gimbal, although I understand your concerns. The gimbals are actually far more robust than most people realize. They get knocked around quite a lot in normal handling on the ground. Takes a real hard fall or crash to mess them up. However, DJI now locks the gimbal on the M3 upon powering down,to make it easier to install the muzzle.
True but seeing the scratches / marks, I hesitated to fly the drone / test the gimbal as this could have voided the doa procedure.

Hi,

During unboxing I noticed the following scratches.

They all seem to be in places where the gimbal arm is close to the drone body.

Probably just cosmetic but I am wondering about the cause (poor handling during assembly or something else (gimbal malfunction during test / gimbal arm touching the drone body?)

Anyone experienced something like this / any ideas?

thx

PS Maybe I am picky but this is an expensive piece of hardware…
Welp the first thing I notice, is that that is not a Mavic 3. Mavic two pro or Mavic two zoom, But not a Mavic three

Looking at it again, I might be mistaken. But my Mavic three camera is completely black. Maybe that’s just a different unit, but the profile pics make it look like a Mavic two pro

Looking at it again, I might be mistaken. But my Mavic three camera is completely black. Maybe that’s just a different unit, but the profile pics make it look like a Mavic two pro
It's the lighting. Dark gray can look silver when overlit to show the scratches.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31