DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Images/Video BLAH

The M2 and M3 don't have the same camera.
Why do you say that they do?
They are physically different by definition given the larger sensor.
The most important difference however is the image processing hardware and firmware. We are talking years of improvement here. One can not simply look at the lenses and sensor size and say this is the same or better

Reactions: Droniac
They are physically different by definition given the larger sensor.
The most important difference however is the image processing hardware and firmware. We are talking years of improvement here. One can not simply look at the lenses and sensor size and say this is the same or better

All else equal, sensor size is the biggest factor for influencing both cost and image quality. That is consistent across virtually all camera types, whether they are attached to a drone or not. Readout speed is also a huge factor, as stacked sensors are much more expensive to produce than non-stacked sensors.

The image processing pipeline is important because it determines whether or not you can take full advantage of the sensor's capabilities or not. For example the M2P had a great 1" Sony sensor, but is handicapped by how DJI chose to handle the 4K in FOV mode. The M3 does not appear to have any such limitation.

In both cases we are talking about very modern sensors (Sony 1" vs Sony 4/3), that are more/less equal in terms of features and capability other than their physical size, and the advantages that come along with that. Sony's updates to those sensors over the years have been almost entirely focused on readout speed rather than anything else. The first iteration of the 1" sensor used in the M2P and Air 2S debuted in the Sony RX100 way back in 2012.

Dynamic range and ISO performance has been roughly at it's practical limit for nearly a decade. For us to see any major leap there will require a revolution in sensor technology. These days, sensor improvements are made mostly in two ways:

1) Increasing resolution without sacrificing dynamic range or ISO performance, all else equal
2) Increasing readout speed

Aside from that, if you look at any same sized high-end sensor made in the last 10 years or so, you will see that they are all very similar in terms of dynamic range and ISO performance when they have their resolutions normalized. Minor differences are visible here and there, but nothing ground breaking whatsoever.

Just as one example to help illustrate the point, here are 4 different Full Frame sensors fabricated by Sony from 2012 to current, and with their resolutions normalized, you can see just how little difference there is between them in terms of ISO performance:

The most advanced sensors today basically just add resolution and readout speed to what we've already had for a long time now, which is critical for some applications but irrelevant to others.

I have to think the new camera on the M3 is better than the one on my Air 2S but I will be honest and say I watched a test between multiple drones with the idea of tell me which drone this was and I guessed wrong on all of them. The new M3 is lost on me where I am at this point but if I had the cash to spend I would go for it just because it has a variable aperture. Dont care about the zoom lens. Would be cool to see a fly more $400 less with no zoom or something like that.

I have to think the new camera on the M3 is better than the one on my Air 2S but I will be honest and say I watched a test between multiple drones with the idea of tell me which drone this was and I guessed wrong on all of them. The new M3 is lost on me where I am at this point but if I had the cash to spend I would go for it just because it has a variable aperture. Dont care about the zoom lens. Would be cool to see a fly more $400 less with no zoom or something like that.

If your basis for comparison is highly compressed footage uploaded to YouTube with unknown processing done to it, you aren't likely to see much of a difference even if you added a $15,000 Inspire 2 setup to that list.

To evaluate image quality properly, you need raw image files or video on your computer and a raw converter that does the files justice. There you can properly compare them side by side without compression, as well as evaluate the processing leeway, which is a large part of the appeal that you won't see in that sort of YouTube comparison.

That being said, if your end usage is always going to be JPEG stills or unedited 8bit video footage to share with people on YouTube or similar platforms, even an Air 2S is probably overkill.

The M3 also does not have a zoom lens, though I can see how DJI's marketing can be confusing. It has two separate fixed focal length lenses (or "primes" if you are familiar with that term), each of which can be cropped up to 4X with extreme quality losses. You can achieve the exact same effect in post with any drone or camera if you wish.

Anyway I think it goes without saying, but if your particular usage will not benefit from the M3's improvements, save your money. The Air 2S is particularly good value if you don't need an adjustable aperture or the larger sensor. There are obviously other things too like upgraded obstacle avoidance but this discussion seems to be focused on image quality.

Reactions: Droniac and EricJT
If your basis for comparison is highly compressed footage uploaded to YouTube with unknown processing done to it, you aren't likely to see much of a difference even if you added a $15,000 Inspire 2 setup to that list.

To evaluate image quality properly, you need raw image files or video on your computer and a raw converter that does the files justice. There you can properly compare them side by side without compression, as well as evaluate the processing leeway, which is a large part of the appeal that you won't see in that sort of YouTube comparison.

That being said, if your end usage is always going to be JPEG stills or unedited 8bit video footage to share with people on YouTube or similar platforms, even an Air 2S is probably overkill.

The M3 also does not have a zoom lens, though I can see how DJI's marketing can be confusing. It has two separate fixed focal length lenses (or "primes" if you are familiar with that term), each of which can be cropped up to 4X with extreme quality losses. You can achieve the exact same effect in post with any drone or camera if you wish.

Anyway I think it goes without saying, but if your particular usage will not benefit from the M3's improvements, save your money. The Air 2S is particularly good value if you don't need an adjustable aperture or the larger sensor. There are obviously other things too like upgraded obstacle avoidance but this discussion seems to be focused on image quality.
Like I said, the new M3 is lost on me where I am at this point. I agree with your points above.

Not sure about abuse, but people are going to point out that you have no idea what you are talking about.

The M2P has a 1 inch sensor, while the M3 has a 4/3 sensor, which has approximately twice the area. The M2P video is 4k 30 fps @ 100 Mbps, while the M3 video is 5.1k at up to 50 fps and 200 Mbps or 4k at up to 120 fps, with ProRes.

Not remotely the same camera.
Your so right,kinda think after 3 years since an upgrade, they would use the latest technology.
I was trying to figure out why he thinks its the same camera in the M2P and M3.
Have a good day

Everyone has the right to have there own opinion, period . If you are unhappy with a product that's it. It won't be better if someone come and tell the opposite . By the way I'm not impressed either of Mavic 3...
Why, and with what credentials do you make the comment? We need to know what weight to put on your opinion.

Where were you able to find downloadable raw footage of the same scene to compare between the two? I'd like to take a look as well.
What are you talking about ... I'm missing something , My comment I based upon the first comment in this thread, about M3 that's it. Newer even touch the subject "downloadable files" sure you can find those files on YouTube. I hope this helps...

What are you talking about ... I'm missing something , My comment I based upon the first comment in this thread, about M3 that's it. Newer even touch the subject "downloadable files" sure you can find those files on YouTube. I hope this helps...

You mentioned you are unimpressed with the current output of the M3, and the only way you would have been able to evaluate it would be with raw footage or DNG files, so I made an assumption that you had found that somewhere on the internet. I've been trying to find downloadable footage/images from the M3 but no luck so far. Sorry for any confusion.

You mentioned you are unimpressed with the current output of the M3, and the only way you would have been able to evaluate it would be with raw footage or DNG files, so I made an assumption that you had found that somewhere on the internet. I've been trying to find downloadable footage/images from the M3 but no luck so far. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm always open to others opinions and experiences with these drones, but when you come in throwing around inaccurate information about hardware on top of results... it's hard to give any credibility overall. But these are your results and I understand this is how you feel. If I were you, I'd return the M3 and be done with it if you really feel that way.

I should have my M3 next week and will do my own tests.. but it really seems that there is a lot of criticism (more than any other release I can think of) and it all started with the price of the drone.. once people saw the price hike, it seems like they just look for reasons to say it's not as good without even owning the M3 in some cases.

The M3 is going to be THE drone to own and I do believe it will be improved with updates also, so unless it's worse than my Air 2S it stays. I will personally love the extra flight time, signal strength, and 7X optical zoom (so good for wildlife which I love to shoot).

Hi CanadaDrone, I have found some. Billy Kyle has very similar shots in h.264, h.265, and ProRes. He provides 3 different clips and all 3 codecs for each clip. Its pretty awesome. His YT vid is here:
and he links to the files in the description, a direct link is here: 614 - Do You Need the Mavic 3 Cine? - Fly More Package vs. Cine Bundle

I hope it helps!

Reactions: CanadaDrone
If a CLIENT doesn't see an improvement in quality where they're willing to pay more, then the M2P to M3 upgrade isn't worth it. Especially with today's firmware.

Reactions: christangey
If a CLIENT doesn't see an improvement in quality where they're willing to pay more, then the M2P to M3 upgrade isn't worth it. Especially with today's firmware.
Yes, unless that client is a big Broadcaster who has technical departments who set rigid standards. In that case you are at the mercy of the Tech heads who don't care about what they are "seeing", just the numbers.

Yes, unless that client is a big Broadcaster who has technical departments who set rigid standards. In that case you are at the mercy of the Tech heads who don't care about what they are "seeing", just the numbers.
It's not all about the client though... The extra battery life can save you time on a shoot and time is money to me. Also, the better transmission strength is useful in RF heavy areas and any other areas where interference is an issue.

So much to consider here... But honestly the M3 is THE drone moving forward, you can resist upgrading now but it seems like the likely answer moving forward if you stay in this hobby/business.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead