DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 landed on Karen's Roof : here is why !

What I want to know is why the M3's obstacle avoidance didn't stop it from crashing into your deck?

What I want to know is why the M3's obstacle avoidance didn't stop it from crashing into your deck?
A few nights before I was in sport mode coming down hard thru the trees in the black darkness to my Lower Deck, The M3 was not at fault , it was all me running it into the deck being to heavy on the stick forward .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain.

I'm glad you could recover your drone and figure out what the problem was. Could have been a lot worse.

Coal:

Your video made my Sunday. The Super Bowl will be an afterthought.

I watched the entire video in awe. You are really an amazing innovator, and I admire your persistence in developing these amazing products. Fortunately, I live in a non cold/snowy environment and I personally would never have the fortitude to fly in adverse conditions. (I grew up from birth to age 26 in Chicago). I only fly in good conditions. I really do not enjoy flying in the rain.

If I were to face this situation, I would have done exactly what you did, which is to ask to retrieve the drone from the roof. However, I can understand Karen's reluctance to allow you to crawl over her roof. In these days of litigation-happy people, where we are battered by constant TV and billboard ads by avaricious attorneys, the chance of you hurting her roof, or yourself are not insignificant. Thus, when refused to mount her roof (I said her roof), I would have offered to pay for a roofing expert, and/or cherry picker who would guarantee the integrity of her roof, and some sort of disclaimer or liability release, if your roof or either of you were injured.

I am now imagining a "Larry David" episode where Larry crawls up the roof, then slides down the snow, falls and sustains serious injury, and damages the roof, gutters, and shrubs on his way down. When the ambulance arrives, each one accuses a lawsuit against the other. I am now laughing and smiling considering this.

Since your explanation of the reason for having the drone in the air was a noble one (searching for a lost person), there should be no reason why she got so bent out of shape.

Dale

When she asked me what would happen if i fell off the roof, She caught me like a deer in head lights and I had no response , I knew I was in trouble . lol Took me a few days to rewire my brain to the Ninja take down. lol Once I saw the roofer go up and walk across the roof, I knew I got lucky I did not go up on the roof that brutal day..

I was desperate to get that drone back , as I had to know what caused it to fall from the sky , and I would have taken some serious risk and most likely jumped up on the roof . So when I see that lady again I am going to thank her for keeping me sane. lol

Thanks Dale .

Last edited:
I have the same problem! I received the following help from the support service: remove the memory card, update the IMU. If this does not help then send the M3 for service. I'll send mine to Holland tomorrow !!!

There was a lot going on but the moral of the story , just because it looks pretty does not mean its not broken.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land on the Roof for Days.
View attachment 143801
It's a good lesson is doing your preflight inspection before you fly. If I have to replace ONE prop, I replace them ALL.

WOW! What a story. Glad of the outcome but what a nightmare. Surprised you didn’t fly your Phantom and grab it off the roof. A hook or lasso should have done the job. Anyways, great review of the M3 capabilities.
Thanks for posting
PS: always use the rescue jacket over the lake, LOL

WOW! What a story. Glad of the outcome but what a nightmare. Surprised you didn’t fly your Phantom and grab it off the roof. A hook or lasso should have done the job. Anyways, great review of the M3 capabilities.
Thanks for posting
PS: always use the rescue jacket over the lake, LOL

This lady sat in her Living room with blinds wide open with Shot Gun Eyes , there was no way to get the Phantom up there without her calling the police , , and if that phantom went down on her roof, she might have called the paramedics as she surely would have had a heart attack. lolllll

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Roof,

Does the A2 jacket fit the M3? Don’t have an M3 yet but wondering if I can reuse mine.
So the strap is short but doable, but it will keep it a float but will not be able to Remote take off after you land on the water, it would be a Recovery only situation for your drone upside down most likely. See the extra width needed at the top and the xtra long strap.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain / Float on the Water

2022-01-17_16h13_32.png

Reactions: Capt KO
So the strap is short but doable, but it will keep it a float but will not be able to Remote take off after you land on the water, it would be a Recovery only situation for your drone upside down most likely. See the extra width needed at the top and the xtra long strap.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain / Float on the Water

View attachment 143863
Looks like a Gitzo tripod in the corner, no?

That is incredible I’m glad you got your girl back she was probably a frozen block you have a lot more patience than I would’ve ever had I probably would’ve just called the police it is your property she can’t keep it and get tall extension ladder I am electrician get my expensive drone back into my hands but that was very crafty thinking on your part I still don’t understand how you got it down did you have to call a roofing company with the Karen lady that’s just bad luck most people are not that disturbed anyway that’s one wild story and I’m sure you’ll start checking your equipment before flight

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
That is incredible I’m glad you got your girl back she was probably a frozen block you have a lot more patience than I would’ve ever had I probably would’ve just called the police it is your property she can’t keep it and get tall extension ladder I am electrician get my expensive drone back into my hands but that was very crafty thinking on your part I still don’t understand how you got it down did you have to call a roofing company with the Karen lady that’s just bad luck most people are not that disturbed anyway that’s one wild story and I’m sure you’ll start checking your equipment before flight
Yes the roofer came out and laddered up on a vacant condo and walked over to the roof line so as not to disturb .

What is really mind blowing is that Drone survived this flight with the broken clips on the Prop just the day before.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Would it have been possible for you to have someone with another drone rig up some kind of hook and fly up there and hook onto it and bring it down?

Reactions: maven4336
Would it have been possible for you to have someone with another drone rig up some kind of hook and fly up there and hook onto it and bring it down?
Yes, I could have used My Mavic 2 and or Phantom 4 however , she would have would have flown up there on her broom as She was not playing . and since she never left her home, just did not seem possible .

Also knowing that it landed nicely with no crash , it just did not make sense to risk dropping it or loosing two drones.
Since it had the Wet Suit I felt good about waiting it out for a safe rescue.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land on the Water.

There was a lot going on but the moral of the story , just because it looks pretty does not mean its not broken.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land on the Roof for Days.
View attachment 143801
Amazing story ... really enjoyed it ... liked it even more based on the outcome. As @AVLJMA mentioned, it brings up a really good case for doing a preflight inspection - which I am guilty of not doing all the time either.

Those plastic clips really concern me. Its not the first time I have heard of them breaking, sometime just through long term use. Are there other props that use a more secure fastening method.

I thought "Karen" was an only an Australian term🤣 . I would hate to live that way. If it had been me or my wife, we would have found a ladder for you and maybe even gone up there ourselves, or hooked it with one of our own drones.

I lost a drone in my neighbours back yard. I know exactly where it went down. Nice people but Covid and security paranoid which is strange because we live in a neighborhood where nothing ever happens. They politely refused to let me go and retrieve it. My other neighbor let me look over his fence and I could see it in some bushes. Luckily it was only worth a couple hundred$. That was 14 months ago. As far as I know its still there, 60 feet away. I cant retrieve it as the wife never leaves the house. If it had been my Pro2 or FPV or even mini, I would have found another way, but for $150 its not worth the grief.

Every time I walk by the house, I hear my baby calling out to me but the house is like fort knox.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom