DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 landed on Karen's Roof : here is why !

I had a similar experience flying my Mavic 3 in the house shortly after I got it. While it was hovering in my study, I looked down at my controller, and since it did not have a GPS fix yet, it drifted into the closet door, leaving orange paint marks there. When I tried to restart it I could not fly it very well. After closely inspecting it (over and over) I noticed the broken off tab in the motor. It took me a while to fish the tab out of the motor without damaging anything. I was lucky that the drone is still fully functional after learning a powerful lesson. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Just curious. Was it expensive to get the roofer up there? And did you feel inclined to send the lady flowers or make some gesture of gratitude or were you just glad not to have any more contact?

• Haha
Reactions: zeusfl
Good question !!!

Just curious. Was it expensive to get the roofer up there? And did you feel inclined to send the lady flowers or make some gesture of gratitude or were you just glad not to have any more contact?
Roofer came out , did not charge me a dime, I handed him $100 bill and he refused to take it. I was adamant and he was also and assured me he did not need it. I told him I have some work I need done on the deck and he gave me his card and said that I can do.

He used this :

2022-02-22_14h38_46.png

Karen i hope to thank one day for not letting me go up there in those conditions but I have not seen her since and have no plans on knocking on her door anytime soon.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and the Roof Tops.

Last edited:
Roofer came out , did not charge me a dime, I handed him $100 bill and he refused to take it. I was adamant and he was also and assured me he did not need it. I told him I have some work I need done on the deck and he gave me his card and said that I can do.

He used this :

View attachment 144347

Karen i hope to thank one day for not letting me go up there in those conditions but I have not seen her since and have no plans on knocking on her door anytime soon.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and the Roof Tops.
Is that only 12 feet? Was that enough?

Do they make that style of ladder in that size? I guess they must!
They seem to have a pro series, as I was looking for one. I would say his was a 20 ft because he had to reach up and grab the side of the roof to pull him up on top , a move I would not have been able to make.
2022-02-23_01h51_04.png

They seem to have a pro series, as I was looking for one. I would say his was a 20 ft because he had to reach up and grab the side of the roof to pull him up on top , a move I would not have been able to make.
View attachment 144399
Cool! Unlike a standard extension ladder, they can fit in a trunk! Great for drone recovery! My neighbor generously walked out on his two story roof from his roof deck, to retrieve my drone, when it crash landed on his roof when the battery died! I could clearly see it the next morning in daylight, when my overnight search in the dark couldn't locate it. I knew it was within a 50 foot radius, based upon trajectory when it lost power. Nice guy. No Karen!

The Wet Suit Strip on the nose saved the Camera from being smashed as well as being in Sport Mode kept the camera down as well which helped also protect the camera also.

When I saw the Drone on the Roof using the Binoculars it looked strange like the back end had fallen off but it was just the snow . After putting New Third party Props on , its like brand new , no issues.

I also think having the Vents protected in the Back helped the drone make it thru 4 Days of Snow and Ice storms.

The New third Party Props took away that little bit of flutter when you take off. I think this is because of the Hard tips compared to the DJI soft tips.

Phantomrain.org
Great! Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Water < Land on the Water and the Roof.
Why 3rd party props? Which ones? More on that :)

Cheers, Jon

What i did not know was that the extreme impact that day broke the clips on the bottom of the front two props .
Thus one of the clips got caught in the Motor causing the drone to spin and land on the roof.

My pilot error was not fully inspecting the drone after the crash as i would have seen right away the clips were gone on the right prop and the Left Prop was broken also.

I think that's the basis of my question. I assume that you only saw the sheared studs when you did the post-roof mishap analysis (as you note, you did not check/inspect the props right after the deck mishap). Since you don't ACTUALLY know the status of the prop studs when you took off, it's entirely possible that they were only cracked, and didn't actually shear until the the mishap occurred, which would explain the sudden failure.

BTW, love your product.

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I think that's the basis of my question. I assume that you only saw the sheared studs when you did the post-roof mishap analysis (as you note, you did not check/inspect the props right after the deck mishap). Since you don't ACTUALLY know the status of the prop studs when you took off, it's entirely possible that they were only cracked, and didn't actually shear until the the mishap occurred, which would explain the sudden failure.

BTW, love your product.
Yes , This was the flight after i crashed into the deck a few hours earlier that kind of fooled me into thinking the drone was fine after the crash . I wont make that mistake again, . lol

Yes , This was the flight after i crashed into the deck a few hours earlier that kind of fooled me into thinking the drone was fine after the crash . I wont make that mistake again, . lol

Kind of like a car accident, where the unseen hidden damage like a bent frame and such, aren't visible until a proper teardown. It's the damage you can't see that jacks up the repair estimates, after a virtual estimate! I once sent a drone off for repair, after a hard landing, for what I thought would only be an inexpensive shell repair, only to find out the motherboard was also cracked!

Great story and a memory you will not forget.
This might be a great reason to take off your props for a better inspection.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15