DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 New D-Log M color mode and how to use it in DaVinci Resolve

JooB

Reactions
Being happy to get this new color mode on the Mavic 3 I was unsure how it differs from D-Log and how I can use it in DaVinci Resolve. I played around with some options like LUT's and Color Space Transformation trying to find the best solution for fast and nice results.

In my video you can compare all 4 color modes of the Mavic 3 and how D-Log M look like using different post production methods.

Titel3.jpg

Reactions: MPone
Interesting comparison. Very much appreciated. Especially interesting was the selected gama input for the D-Log M. For me what is missing is a "gold standard" such as Black Magic B-Raw under managed color space to set a bench mark for all four DJI images.

To my eyes the normal mode in his video looks far more natural than Dlog M regardless of which LUT he applied. Is that just me? When shooting in bright light where HDR isn’t needed I don’t bother with modes other than normal.

Reactions: Zomax and vtcats
To my eyes the normal mode in his video looks far more natural than Dlog M regardless of which LUT he applied. Is that just me? When shooting in bright light where HDR isn’t needed I don’t bother with modes other than normal.
By far most of the video we see on Youboob etc. is a "normal" color profile of some brand. In that sense it would look the most natural. The samples presented don't offer much in content for applying a grade. In a scene with more available contrast areas e.g. a skyline of a city, log footage might offer the opportunity for grading and the production of a more natural "as the eye" see's it image or in more cinematic expression enhanced areas in shadow detail while retaining highlights. Where log really shines is in things like skin tones which obviously is not something we use drones a lot to video. Having said that, the color gamut is all 4:2:0 so not a lot can be done with that. Luminous values are what can be manipulated the most. I personally do like working in d-log the best as I can present images as I would like them to appear, not necessarily how they naturally appear. In this way I can create a "mood" for the image.

So many things to consider. Then there's scenes where content trumps everything. This morning I went to the park and snagged some footage of geese families with little goslings. 4K, cini-like 4:2:0 100mb footage that most cinematographers would frown on but it was a sharp lens and the "talent" is so interesting that I doubt anybody would care. I added just a sprinkling of contrast between the colors of their feathers and called it good.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. I’ve been doing similar tests with my Mavic 3 and Pro using D-log and D-log M, then doing what he did in Davinci and as you state, normal looks better to start from and just make adjustments from that mode. It’s not that I can’t get d-log to be okay, but it’s a LOT more work without appreciable differing results. I do find S-log etc from my Sony mirrorless is better in high contrast, but it’s just not the same with the drones so far

I´m a newbie here - so I need to ask a dumb question - where do I post a question about D-Log. HERE?

The question would be - why CAN I see Mavic 3 Classic Master Shot (yes I know it is said that D-Log is not possible) D-Log clips (H265) in VLC, but in Resolve they aren´t readable? Come up in the media page as 10 bit, 5.1 K or 4K etc, convertible using HandBrake (MP4 etc), readable in VLC but not in Resolve? "Offline Media" in RED.
PS I´ve searched for this topic but found nothing to answer my question...

Last edited:
I´m a newbie here - so I need to ask a dumb question - where do I post a question about D-Log. HERE?…
Usually you’d start a new thread.
…The question would be - why CAN I see Mavic 3 Classic Master Shot clips (yes I know it is said that D-Log is not possible) D-Log files(H265) in VLC, but in Resolve they aren´t readable? Come up in the media page as 10 bit, 5.1 K or 4K etc
Perhaps a Resolve user can confirm, but I believe you will need the paid version, that is Resolve Studio at about $300 USD to get 10-bit compatibility.

Thanks! Trying to find out if that is true (need Studio vers.) What about not it not being POSSIBLE ie shooting Master Shots, Quick Shots in D-Log?

Again - the problems (in Resolve only, not in VLC) occur when using Master Shots and/or Quick Shots in D-Log.

Is it a Resolve problem, or that some odd form of D-Log is created by Master Shots, Quick Shots in D-Log that IS readable by VLC, but not by Resolve?

Last edited:
I was frustrated in the past when trying to do a few things in the free version of Resolve and upgraded to Studio. At the time it wasn't $300 like it is now. At least it isn't a monthly fee like PS or Midjourney.

I don't generally shoot in dLog unless the lighting is compromised, but my recollection is that when I have used it several months ago that Resolve Studio opened those clips just fine. At that time, I was not all that satisfied with the LUTs that were in the package for achieving the desired color but haven't tried this again recently.

Reactions: Bill Lorenz
I´m not sure what compromised lighting is, I guess less than ideal. Meaning low? Or high? I see using D-Log as a way of gettng the most out of the sensor ie the max dynamic range, which is usually on sunny days with very bright highlights and deep, dark shadows. A little bit like raw in PS in that everything the sensor recorded is available postproduction- though I suppose D-Log is better compared to Dolby noise reduction in the audio world.

I was frustrated in the past when trying to do a few things in the free version of Resolve and upgraded to Studio. At the time it wasn't $300 like it is now. At least it isn't a monthly fee like PS or Midjourney.

I don't generally shoot in dLog unless the lighting is compromised, but my recollection is that when I have used it several months ago that Resolve Studio opened those clips just fine. At that time, I was not all that satisfied with the LUTs that were in the package for achieving the desired color but haven't tried this again recently.
I use the DJI d-log input color space and find it provides a much more linear image that has a fair amount of latitude for grading. Obviously exposure is everything and dynamic range is limited as compared to raw.

How do you notice linearity in an image? I can´t.

BTW - anybody have experience relating to my questions?
Again -
I´m trying to find out if it is true that it is NOT possible to shoot Master Shots, Quick Shots in D-Log?

I get clips that obviously are what I shot, as I can watch them in VLC, just not in Resolve. The "subtitles"(.srt files) seen in VLC also confirm the settings - D-Log, 5.2K, H265, 400 ISO etc. But in Resolve just an "Offline Media" message in red. Standard manual footage ie NOT Master Shots and/or Quick Shots filmed in D-Log show up fine. So Resolve Free CAN read this kind of file.
Is it a Resolve problem, or that some odd form of D-Log is created by Master Shots, Quick Shots in D-Log that IS readable by VLC, but not by Resolve?

Any ideas?

How do you notice linearity in an image? I can´t.

BTW - anybody have experience relating to my questions?
Again -
I´m trying to find out if it is true that it is NOT possible to shoot Master Shots, Quick Shots in D-Log?

I get clips that obviously are what I shot, as I can watch them in VLC, just not in Resolve. The "subtitles"(.srt files) seen in VLC also confirm the settings - D-Log, 5.2K, H265, 400 ISO etc. But in Resolve just an "Offline Media" message in red. Standard manual footage ie NOT Master Shots and/or Quick Shots filmed in D-Log show up fine. So Resolve Free CAN read this kind of file.

Any ideas?
I had the same issue. I had to install HEVC codec in Widows 10. Solved the problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom