DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 plastic smell

Dr_Zoidberg

Reactions
Hi,

I noticed that my drone has a sort of hot plastic smell after flying (slight to moderate if sniffed up close). It seems more like smell from battery heating, than the drone itself. The battery has 93 charging cycles. I wonder if this is normal? Anyone with similar experience? I don't notice any signs of swelling, burning or something. No errors show up either.

Thanks!

Yep, it may sound lil weird ) but I felt slight smell first when I took the drone and than sniffed it to check where it was coming from ))
Yeah that makes sense and it shouldn't smell that strongly so something is definitely wrong but you just won't know it for now but you will later. Sorry. If you don't already have care refresh, I would get it now.

If you upload your flight record .txt file to Air Data you would be able to see the actual battery temperature and compare for all your flights. You could also use an infrared thermometer to measure the airframe surface temperature then you would have valid references for comparisons. Odor is not a good reference.

Yeah that makes sense and it shouldn't smell that strongly so something is definitely wrong but you just won't know it for now but you will later. Sorry. If you don't already have care refresh, I would get it now.
I wouldn't say it's strong, but since it's noticeable, I was worried there might be something wrong with the internals. At the moment I think the battery heating up during the flight (but nothing abnormal as airdata indicates, 50-55 degrees celsius) and this may be enough for slight plastic smell, moreover it comes from battery compartment, as I noticed. Thanks for advice anyways )

If you upload your flight record .txt file to Air Data you would be able to see the actual battery temperature and compare for all your flights. You could also use an infrared thermometer to measure the airframe surface temperature then you would have valid references for comparisons. Odor is not a good reference.
At the end of flight max battery temp is around 55 degrees celsius

I wouldn't say it's strong, but since it's noticeable, I was worried there might be something wrong with the internals. At the moment I think the battery heating up during the flight (but nothing abnormal as airdata indicates, 50-55 degrees celsius) and this may be enough for slight plastic smell, moreover it comes from battery compartment, as I noticed. Thanks for advice anyways )
Sure. I've had batteries that were too hot to hold and I had to put them down but never had that smell.

At the end of flight max battery temp is around 55 degrees celsius
That's about what I've seen for my Air 2s; I never thought it as a problem or checked plastic surface temperature. 130° is about too hot to hold.

Hi,

I noticed that my drone has a sort of hot plastic smell after flying (slight to moderate if sniffed up close). It seems more like smell from battery heating, than the drone itself. The battery has 93 charging cycles. I wonder if this is normal? Anyone with similar experience? I don't notice any signs of swelling, burning or something. No errors show up either.

Thanks!
My mavic 3 has about 200 hours in the air, but haven't checked battery cycles (I rotate 4 batteries). I have never smelled plastic, ever, from my mavic 3. Not even slightly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas