DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro 24mm lens sharpness?

mdlntn

Reactions
I just got my Mavic 3 Pro, and am pretty happy with it overall. But (1) I noticed that the 24mm lens is a bit soft, especially when compared to the 70mm version. Is this normal? And (2) The sharpness of the 24mm lens doesn't improve much when stopped down to f5.6 or f2.8 compared to wide open. Is this normal?

Lightroom comparison below:

corner shot, 24mm vs 70mm (48mpx), both at f/2.8
Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 6.43.07 PM.png

corner shot, 24mm vs 70mm (12 mpx), both at f/2.8
Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 6.42.51 PM.png

corner shot, f/2.8 vs f/5.6, at 24mm
Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 6.27.52 PM.png

Raw files: 2023-07-29 DJI Mavic 3 Pro Lens Test

I just got my Mavic 3 Pro, and am pretty happy with it overall. But (1) I noticed that the 24mm lens is a bit soft, especially when compared to the 70mm version. Is this normal?
The lens isn't a close focusing lens, it doesn't focus closer than 1 metre.
How close was your test subject for those shots?
The examples I've used have been very good for drone photography .. ie with subjects >5 metres from the lens.

And (2) The sharpness of the 24mm lens doesn't improve much when stopped down to f5.6 or f2.8 compared to wide open. Is this normal?
The wide camera has a truckload of depth of field at any aperture and is quite sharp at any aperture.
Stopping down, you won't see much change or anything except exposure (unless you are very close to the subject.

Reactions: bitsbytes
The lens isn't a close focusing lens, it doesn't focus closer than 1 metre.
How close was your test subject for those shots?
The examples I've used have been very good for drone photography .. ie with subjects >5 metres from the lens.

The wide camera has a truckload of depth of field at any aperture and is quite sharp at any aperture.
Stopping down, you won't see much change or anything except exposure (unless you are very close to the subject.

Thanks for the reply! These were all done indoors, the 24mm was maybe 1.5m from the wall. Do you have any suggestions on how to scientifically use a sharpness test in the air when the subject is at infinity?

Thanks for the reply! These were all done indoors, the 24mm was maybe 1.5m from the wall. Do you have any suggestions on how to scientifically use a sharpness test in the air when the subject is at infinity?
Sorry ... I don't go much for those sort of tests.
When the camera gets results like this with real subjects out in the real world, that's all I want from it.
DJI_0487aa-X3.jpg

Sorry ... I don't go much for those sort of tests.
When the camera gets results like this with real subjects out in the real world, that's all I want from it.
DJI_0487aa-X3.jpg
This is a nice shot, is there any chance you can upload the DNG file? I'd love to see the full size raw... Really torn as which one to purchase. I am put off by the 24mm main lens of the M3P so far.

Whilst your shot above is really nice, that's mostly down to you, nicely composed and lovely light etc.

This is a nice shot, is there any chance you can upload the DNG file?
No ... because I don't shoot dng.
But here it is with a few other sample images:
I'd love to see the full size raw... Really torn as which one to purchase. I am put off by the 24mm main lens of the M3P so far.
What is it about the camera that puts you off?
Whilst your shot above is really nice, that's mostly down to you, nicely composed and lovely light etc.
I'm not sure what make of that.
The photo looks good, but that's due to my effort, not the camera's?
The Mavic 3 pro is a good enough camera that you can capture great images with it if you have the appropriate skills ... just like any fine camera.

Last edited:
No ... because I don't shoot dng.
But here it is with a few other sample images:

What is it about the camera that puts you off?

I'm not sure what make of that.
The photo looks good, but that's due to my effort, not the camera's?
The Mavic 3 pro is a good enough camera that you can capture great images with it if you have the appropriate skills ... just like any fine camera.
Thank you that is really helpful. Just downloaded them and will have a look. I didn't need the DNG just the full size image to have a little look at in photoshop.

All I meant by that it as its a low res sample, nice subject and nice light any drone could take that, more or less.

So what puts me off is the softness of the 24mm lens. I have only seen samples from DPReview, well mostly, and wondered if it was their sample that was the issue. I googled and seems that there is a fair bit of chat about the 'soft 24mm lens' online.

I googled and seems that there is a fair bit of chat about the 'soft 24mm lens' online.
You can always find people who want to complain about any camera or lens.
Particularly the people who love to photograph lens test charts.
And then there are people who get out there and use a camera as it was intended and capture memorable images.
I haven't found anything about the camera to prevent me from reliably getting great images.

You can always find people who want to complain about any camera or lens.
Particularly the people who love to photograph lens test charts.
And then there are people who get out there and use a camera as it was intended and capture memorable images.
I haven't found anything about the camera to prevent me from reliably getting great images.
Thanks for those. Really nice images. Sharp enough I'd say, lots of noise in the shadows and corners as Base ISO which is strange. But maybe the JPG output? Anyway, nice images.

Ive got a GREAT solution for you - (this is what I do) TOPAZ labs makes an AI sharpen software plugin (I use it in photoshop). I download my images, run them through Topaz AI, and whoa... getting fantastic results. For screen res, its a no brainer. For print res I can do a 20 x 24 that looks great. Topaz has a free trial so you can spend a week evaluating it. Good luck

Ive got a GREAT solution for you - (this is what I do) TOPAZ labs makes an AI sharpen software plugin (I use it in photoshop). I download my images, run them through Topaz AI, and whoa... getting fantastic results. For screen res, its a no brainer. For print res I can do a 20 x 24 that looks great. Topaz has a free trial so you can spend a week evaluating it. Good luck
You mean these guys? Darn I have all but the sharpen! Typical. I'll give it a go.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 22.20.38.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 22.20.38.png
    342.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Based on my testing the 24mm is at its best when you stop it down to f/3.2, from there on the diffraction just eats up the quality, so for photography f/3.2 is what you want unless you are shooting fireworks, long exposure or simmilar.

Your exposure times are too slow for a test, the gimbal can introduce trepidation and the long exposure is definitely introducing noise. Do them on daylight conditions or use a potent enough continuous light source to rise the exposure times to at least 1/250.

The 24mm is expected to have more optical problems because:

• The 24mm camera sensor is way bigger but they share the same compact design.
  • Correcting the lens distortions on a compact design is more difficult than on a normal-sized lens.
  • The greater the FOV the more difficult to have undistorted/sharp image projection all over the sensor
  • The bigger the sensor the more difficult to have a lens performing good all over the circle of image (that being said, there's a design flaw on the Mavic 3 24mm where the image doesn't cover the entire sensor and it relies on a DNG crop to achieve it).

So yep, due to the size and weight restrictions, it is easier to have a 70 mm equivalent on a 1/1.3 sensor performing good rather than a 24mm equivalent on a 4/3 sensor.

IMO you can't expect more of a <900g drone to be honest, if you shoot pics at ground level you can easily realize that the camera is performing quite good compared to a standard 35mm DSLR... that weights more than the entire flying machine.

You can pick an inspire or put a DSLR on a custom drone, but you can unfold a <900g and start flying in less than a minute... or mess with a bulky drone and miss the shot. Big drones are basically "restricted" to controlled environments, such as movies or photoshoots, but for the average landscape/architecture photographer you want to stick to the <900g and M3 4/3 24 mm is the best you can get atm.

PS: Most people these days get fooled by usharpen mask match bands, but that won't fool any seasoned photographer. Over sharp, over post process, those things should be dead since 2006 digital boom, but now that everyone with a phone thinks it's a photographer and that their "50MP" camera with a sensor smaller than my pinky nail is delivering "professional" results and tons of gigabytes or pure crap are uploaded each second to the internet to be compressed and shown at a crappy resolution on small uncalibrated screens... is easy to misunderstand what a good camera is about.

For me, the main problem of the M3 camera is that there aren't camera matching Hasselblad profiles available on Lightroom, which is a pitty as you have to use the color checker to get a decent DNG profile.

PPS: Removing the front filter should improve the quality a bit as it's just a piece of glass that is not a part of the lens, but it's more risky to the lens, so I just leave it on.

Last edited:
Based on my testing the 24mm is at its best when you stop it down to f/3.2, from there on the diffraction just eats up the quality, so for photography f/3.2 is what you want unless you are shooting fireworks, long exposure or simmilar.

Your exposure times are too slow for a test, the gimbal can introduce trepidation and the long exposure is definitely introducing noise. Do them on daylight conditions or use a potent enough continuous light source to rise the exposure times to at least 1/250.

The 24mm is expected to have more optical problems because:

• The 24mm camera sensor is way bigger but they share the same compact design.
  • Correcting the lens distortions on a compact design is more difficult than on a normal-sized lens.
  • The greater the FOV the more difficult to have undistorted/sharp image projection all over the sensor
  • The bigger the sensor the more difficult to have a lens performing good all over the circle of image (that being said, there's a design flaw on the Mavic 3 24mm where the image doesn't cover the entire sensor and it relies on a DNG crop to achieve it).

So yep, due to the size and weight restrictions, it is easier to have a 70 mm equivalent on a 1/1.3 sensor performing good rather than a 24mm equivalent on a 4/3 sensor.

IMO you can't expect more of a <900g drone to be honest, if you shoot pics at ground level you can easily realize that the camera is performing quite good compared to a standard 35mm DSLR... that weights more than the entire flying machine.

You can pick an inspire or put a DSLR on a custom drone, but you can unfold a <900g and start flying in less than a minute... or mess with a bulky drone and miss the shot. Big drones are basically "restricted" to controlled environments, such as movies or photoshoots, but for the average landscape/architecture photographer you want to stick to the <900g and M3 4/3 24 mm is the best you can get atm.

PS: Most people these days get fooled by usharpen mask match bands, but that won't fool any seasoned photographer. Over sharp, over post process, those things should be dead since 2006 digital boom, but now that everyone with a phone thinks it's a photographer and that their "50MP" camera with a sensor smaller than my pinky nail is delivering "professional" results and tons of gigabytes or pure crap are uploaded each second to the internet to be compressed and shown at a crappy resolution on small uncalibrated screens... is easy to misunderstand what a good camera is about.

For me, the main problem of the M3 camera is that there aren't camera matching Hasselblad profiles available on Lightroom, which is a pitty as you have to use the color checker to get a decent DNG profile.

PPS: Removing the front filter should improve the quality a bit as it's just a piece of glass that is not a part of the lens, but it's more risky to the lens, so I just leave it on.
Any chance you can upload some full size samples - DNG ideally? From the 24mm?
Still working out what to do but heavily leaning towards the Air 3 - I hike a LOT with the drone, more the size vs the weight

Plus I feel the 24mm lens of the Air 3 will be sharper than the 24mm of the Man 3 Pro, of course, not as good dynamic range but I'll deal with that view the bracketing and photoshop.

Any chance you can upload some full size samples - DNG ideally? From the 24mm?
Still working out what to do but heavily leaning towards the Air 3 - I hike a LOT with the drone, more the size vs the weight

Plus I feel the 24mm lens of the Air 3 will be sharper than the 24mm of the Man 3 Pro, of course, not as good dynamic range but I'll deal with that view the bracketing and photoshop.

Air 3 is like a Mini 3 on steroids, but pics will be the same, so for hiking I'd just pick the Mini 3 over the Air 3, small drones are easier to fly on the go because they are easier to handle and takeoff/land from the hand; with some practice you don't even have to stop. For quality on the other hand, I'd go with the Mavic 3, less noise, more dynamic range, and more "DSLR-like" finish; and it also comes with a diaphragm.

Mini 3 can also take vertical pics, they did that for making instagram reels, but for photography is basically a must. There's a ton of situations where I'd love to have that option on my M3.

PS: One thing I loved of my previous Air2S is that it had a wider field of view, but now 24mm equivalent seems the standard on DJI.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_