DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro Released with new FW Released as well

I would like a 14x camera, or even a 28x camera, if that's possible. You don't really need a zoom, because you can just fly further away to zoom out. The main reason i want to have a telephoto, is to get close ups of girls, without pissing anyone off. I got flipped off by guys, the last two days, who were with girls I wanted to video. One guy even splashed water at me, but he was too far away, and the mavic 3 is waterproof anyway.

I would like a 14x camera, or even a 28x camera, if that's possible. You don't really need a zoom, because you can just fly further away to zoom out. The main reason i want to have a telephoto, is to get close ups of girls, without pissing anyone off. I got flipped off by guys, the last two days, who were with girls I wanted to video. One guy even splashed water at me, but he was too far away, and the mavic 3 is waterproof anyway.
Your going down a bad road with invasion of privacy for starters.

Reactions: Beet
Character always shows itself. Appreciate your contributions to the positive image of fliers everywhere.

Screenshot 2023-04-08 054532.jpg

I guess what I'd really like to see the Mavic 3 Pro do is cause the price of the Mavic 3 Cine to come down some. I'd be happy with the features of the Cine if it just didn't cost quite as much. Introduce a truly unique Pro model, lower the cost of the existing Cine, and there's the potential for both to enjoy brisk sales.

Short of that, for the Pro to be at all attractive it would certainly need better image quality for the tele lens, which means a beefier sensor. The third lens having a focal length between the other two makes sense and it too would need a large enough sensor to deliver really good (Pro-level) image quality.

I think if the price bumps up a lot from the Cine, this drone is going to have to show some extraordinary capabilities. I can't imagine that there are that many people needing Cine-plus capabilities and willing to fork over a whole lot more for them. Would many Cine owners actually feel the need to upgrade? if the price is only marginally above the Cine, then nobody would opt for the Cine rather than the Pro unless the Pro could really differentiate itself.

But another scenario is that the Pro will both add and drop some features, with the drops helping to offset costs. In other words, the Pro may not be simply more than the Cine but rather, different from the Cine, in the same way that the Mavic 3 versions with special sensors are different from other Mavic 3's. Rhe Pro would not be a Cine-plus but a Cine alternative. Then, the Pro and a Cine could coexist at roughly similar price points but with different feature sets to appeal to different customers.

To create a distinctly different version of the Mavic 3, they'd have to drop some Cine features in addition to adding new ones unique to the Pro. For example, a lot of the automated features like the Spotlight might not be that appealing to pros who can achieve the same results manually. So those might go. Just as conventional pro cameras may have fewer automated modes than consumer cameras, maybe the Pro will sacrifice some of the Cine's automation features. But that's all software which, once developed, doesn't save DJI much cost if elimiated. Flight performance and camera quality aren't likely to be compromised on a Pro-oriented model, so the only obvious hardware feature that could reduce cost if eliminated would be the integrated hard drive. I suppose they could put in a CFast port but not include the drive. That would certainly save money compared to the Cine's built-in 1 TB SSD and might actually appeal to pros quite a bit. Land-based cameras like the Blackmagic units already use CFast and so there are pro and advanced amateur videographers who've already started down that path. If DJI keeps Pro-res in this new drone, which is very much a "Pro" feature, some sort of big hard drive may be close to a necessity. But maybe it could be one that isn't built in. That would also allow them to offer different bundles that did or didn't include the CFast media and that could accordingly differ quite a bit in price point. Maybe a small CFast could be bundled with a standard model but owners could use their own larger drives as alternatives. Another plus to such a drive is that it can be removed for data transfer to a PC.

Another way to differentiate the Pro from the Cine would be to have the capacity to easily swap out some of the cameras. In that scenario, the third camera could be a milder tele, or an infra-red, or a super-wide, or something we haven't yet seen, depending on which configuration a buyer purchased. If the user could simply unplug the third camera and replace it with various modules, that would certinly differentiate the pro from the Cine and would be iin line with the ability of land-bound pro-level cqmeras to swap out lenses. It would also open up a whole new product line for DJI -- separate pluggable camera modeules for this drone. I wouldn't imagine that incorporating a plug interface into the airframe and into a range of cameras would be that costly or difficult.

If this scenario played out, customers who wanted a ready-to-go, top-quality camera drone with less of a learning curve could opt for the Cine. Those who wanted a more customizable pro-level camera drone (one with more emphasis on the camera and perhaps less on the capabilities of exotic, automated flight patterns) might opt for the Pro.

If rumors are true, we may get our answers in relatively short order.

Reactions: 3rdof5
best post on this topic by far :)
just an idea for you, get a payload release mechanism and if the throw things to you, just throw things on them :)
or maybe a little speaker to say "policeee, on your knees" :)
you dont need a big zoom lens to have fun :)

Reactions: shb
I'd have concerns with the Gimbal stability with another lens being housed in the assembly. The lens assembly is big and there are concerns now around gimbal stability with angled horizon and 'shaking' if you're not flying slowly. I had my Mavic 3 replaced a few weeks ago due to a faulty Roll Axis Motor Module and the DJI team actually sent a few tips that alluded to stability at higher speeds (no context to what higher is, but I guess common sense would prevail here...esp if you're wanting smooth video). I'd imagine more weight is only going to add to potential instability issues.
Hate to think what the price is going to be...

cheers

Reactions: redserv
So what would the 3rd camera be? All this talk about optical zoom but what else do we want?
Given they use "pro" the most common added lens for search and rescue is a thermal.
I'm thinking this will have to have a mechanical shutter and real aperture because it would be difficult to make a clip on ND for it.

Reactions: vtcats
I'd have concerns with the Gimbal stability with another lens being housed in the assembly. The lens assembly is big and there are concerns now around gimbal stability with angled horizon and 'shaking' if you're not flying slowly. I had my Mavic 3 replaced a few weeks ago due to a faulty Roll Axis Motor Module and the DJI team actually sent a few tips that alluded to stability at higher speeds (no context to what higher is, but I guess common sense would prevail here...esp if you're wanting smooth video). I'd imagine more weight is only going to add to potential instability issues.
Hate to think what the price is going to be...

cheers
Hmm funny you should mention this... Last week when I was flying I was yawing and rolling at the same time collecting some video and the horizon was not leveling. Freaked me out at first when I did a quick look down at the controller and thought the drone was about to plummet. I brought her back down, did a power cycle, and that seemed to fix it up. Didn't have the issue this week while flying at all.

Hmmm... well definitely looks like it already exists. And definitely a beefier looking gimbal than what my Classic has, which it would need.
So I guess the only other improvement over the Regular 3 or the Classic will be storage options? That and the cameras are the only differences across the Mavic 3 lineup. The birds themselves are all identical with the same flight capabilities.
Will be interesting to see the price.

Reactions: redserv
I’m curious how it will overlap the M3 Cine for ProRes and 1TB SSD on top of the 3 Camera Payload.
But as many have indicated, SDK is a deal breaker. I have a M3 Cine, early purchase on statement SDK would eventually be released… major frustration of DJK. Won’t consider unless SDK available… hopefully for both Cine & Pro. Still use the Inspire 2 and M2P for the SDK and DroneLine & Litchi capabilities. The need for repeatable missions, multiple crafts using same flight mission, etc. require SDK to 3rd Parties.

Looking forward to seeing the Inspire 3 release and associated costs. For it’s intended usage, I’d assume SDK would be released close to same time as I3.
A New larger platform with interchangeable payloads, larger Payloads, larger glass might be a direction vs M3 Pro depending on package costs.

• Love
Reactions: TonyPHX
Yep. This is a case of DJI making decisions on the SDK that are now coming home to roost. If they cannot be bothered to software enable the M3 Pro to be at least as capable as the M2 Pro, then this is a upgrade without a purpose for me. Better camera's check. Better battery life, check. Better transmission system - check. No way to put it work via SDK.... hard pass.

And some people wonder why drones are associated with voyeurism and snooping in the minds of many people. Well, here's why.

Reactions: PAW and 3rdof5
So, regarding the SDK release for the Mavic 3.
Clearly DJI does release the SDK files for their other models so I see no logic in holding back on the Mavic 3, except, this is their Flagship Consumer offering and has and is still being updated with new abilities via FW updates.
IMO, they simply do not want to release the SDK until they have got to the proper time, to cover all the capabilities of the current M3 series along with the new Pro.
I believe that day has to come or DJI will regret it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes