DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro Suicide Slammed itself into rocks

So you don't think GPS is important to a safe and stable flight? REALLY?
Of course GPS is important, but the lack of GPS was not a factor in this incident.

The recorded data shows that the crash was caused by (accidentally) pulling the right stick fully back from 5.3 seconds and holding it for 2.2 seconds.
That caused the drone to accelerate from 0 to 15.3 mph and fly straight into a rock at 7.9 seconds.
The lack of good GPS made no difference and the crash would have happened with or without GPS.

The recorded data shows that the crash was caused by (accidentally) pulling the right stick fully back from 5.3 seconds and holding it for 2.2 seconds.
Did the pilot "accidentally" pull back on the stick because of panic in a situation where there was NO GPS? I swimply wouldn't fly in those situations, but to each his own. Chalk it up to pilot error.

GPS is a great tool, but we have been teaching people to fly without it since 2015. Back in the day if you started to have a GPS runaway situation ( where the drone picked up stray signal, which confused GPS) we moved to ATTI mode or non -GPS mode to recover. Unfortunately, most pilots depend on this convienice. Not to different from flying an auto pilot in instrument conditions. You would be hard pressed to find an instrument pilot that could not hand fly thier aircraft without "auto pilot" in instrument conditions. However, when it comes to UAS pilots, I have met many that can,t keep thier aircraft airborne for over a minute with out using GPS.
This incident, from the data, looks to be a simple case of training or just being new to aircraft. If after pilot had ascended 3.5 feet, they had taken a second to test flight systems left right, forward, backward, yaw left/right, they would have confirmed orientation as well as that all systems were good to go before the full throttle move backward. It may have saved the OPs bad experince. I guarantee there was a lesson learned by OP. Sorry for your loss:(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne