DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro Suicide Slammed itself into rocks

Kristy8787

Reactions
Hello all, I have had my Mavic 3 Pro for about 2.5 weeks and used it successfully a handful of times. I have had mavics since 2017 and this had never happened with my mavic pro platinum or mavic 2 pro...

I was flying in an open rocky area near the entrance to a canyon (the space was larger than a football field) I flew my Mavic 3 Pro around a little while, set up waypoints and played around a bit. It was having a hard time connecting to GPS but was still able to drop waypoints after a few tries. The battery got low so I landed it and re launched with a full battery. After about 10 seconds, I had only just launched it, moved slightly backwards and slightly left, it tilted itself and dove at high speed into the ground, completely destroying itself!

dropbox folder with flight log TXT files. <---I am attaching all my flight logs from that day, there are about 8 of them. Can anyone tell me what they think happened? I feel like it's an error with the drone itself. A few months ago I had flown my mavic 2 pro inside this same canyon where the walls are quite narrow (about 10 feel wide and 50 feet tall, like a huge hallway slot canyon) and it had no issues flying. I was assuming the mavic 3 pro would have even better ability to fly even in open areas...

Do you think this is a warranty covered issue?

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 8.52.33 PM.png

Reactions: RemoteFlyte
The last 3 logs on phantom help,
flight 1 = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
flight 2 = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
flight 3 = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
flight 4 = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
flight 5 = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
flight 6 = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
flight 7 = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

flight 8, the crash flight = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
You might want to upload the others to there then post their URLs as I have done with the above.

What did you launch from? If the rock what type of rock is it?

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
I'm no expert (I'm sure the experts will chime in here soon) but it looks to me like you didn't have a good GPS signal - did you takeoff before you got the white GPS icon and the "home point updated" message? From the logs, it looks like the GPS level was only a 2 for almost the entire flight which seems to indicate it didn't gave a good GPS signal.

"I had only just launched it, moved slightly backwards and slightly left, it tilted itself and dove at high speed into the ground, completely destroying itself!"

I'm so sorry for your loss... :(
... hope you can get a quick fix to this...

It's curious that the sensors did not appear to work? ie: crashing to the ground.
... was this set into sport mode? 1) Disabled sensors? Or using the new mavic 3 pro feature of disabling downward vision sensors?

... also you spoke of 2) having set up way points...

Then you spoke of 3) battling with getting gps satellites.
(You need a minimum of 3 SATS to triangulate position, and 4 for altitude as well... a minimum of 6 is preferable.. someone said they are 2 on the logs. if that was the case it would be like flying in atti mode)

So right there... are a few possibilities of catastrophic flying.

So looking at 1), 2) and 3) above...

...Not waiting to get enough satellites...(to detect position and altitude) then launching a way point mission(without a precise location) ... then no sensors, maybe in sport mode (no sensors) or disabled downward vision sensors... the drone may have been ultra compromised....

Just some thoughts... :(

Last edited:
I thought you may have replied to my last message...
I haven't looked yet, I am trying to sort of the links for the logs lol, I've screwed up and got 9 URLs for 8 logs lol. I'm on a Mac at the moment and it doesn't make things easy since it automatically unzips the downloads

It's curious that the sensors did not appear to work? ie: crashing to the ground.
... was this set into sport mode? 1) Disabled sensors? Or using the new mavic 3 pro feature of disabling downward vision sensors?
From memory DJI drones have speed limitations above which the OA either isn't quick enough or is disabled, I haven't looked into that on the Mavic 3 Pro.
The OP probably needs @slup @Meta4 @sar104 to look into that and these logs. Besides I am not sure if the .txt flight log records whether or not the OA is active, I know there are OA columns in the log but I have yet to see any of the entries in those columns change in a log.

ATTI will only be triggered if both GPS is unusable AND VPS is unavailable and I don't know if VPS was unavailable.

Can't comment on waypoints.

Most likely this is Pilot Error as the words entrance to canyon are gloom and doom once that signal gets blocked.
Refresh maybe , but no warranty as you had all kinds of warning things were not going well.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water,
The drone was on the top of the hill wasn't it?

He mentioned :
inside this same canyon where the walls are quite narrow so I took that as not at the top.
"I was flying in an open rocky area near the entrance to a canyon (the space was larger than a football field)", are you perhaps confusing the crash flight with a previous flight with an m2p?
Have you looked at the PH logviewer's satellite view?

Hello all, I have had my Mavic 3 Pro for about 2.5 weeks and used it successfully a handful of times. I have had mavics since 2017 and this had never happened with my mavic pro platinum or mavic 2 pro...

I was flying in an open rocky area near the entrance to a canyon (the space was larger than a football field) I flew my Mavic 3 Pro around a little while, set up waypoints and played around a bit. It was having a hard time connecting to GPS but was still able to drop waypoints after a few tries. The battery got low so I landed it and re launched with a full battery. After about 10 seconds, I had only just launched it, moved slightly backwards and slightly left, it tilted itself and dove at high speed into the ground, completely destroying itself!

dropbox folder with flight log TXT files. <---I am attaching all my flight logs from that day, there are about 8 of them. Can anyone tell me what they think happened? I feel like it's an error with the drone itself. A few months ago I had flown my mavic 2 pro inside this same canyon where the walls are quite narrow (about 10 feel wide and 50 feet tall, like a huge hallway slot canyon) and it had no issues flying. I was assuming the mavic 3 pro would have even better ability to fly even in open areas...

View attachment 168263
I feel your pain! And it was only a Mavic Pro Platinum for me. 🥹

View attachment 168263
Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Check my Thread. Meta analyzed it, it was basically a YAW Error.

No

After about 10 seconds, I had only just launched it, moved slightly backwards and slightly left, it tilted itself and dove at high speed into the ground, completely destroying itself!
This is what your flight log shows instead:
  • You initiated auto takeoff and the drone climbed to 3.6 feet above the ground (large rock)
  • You manually ascended a bit more to 15 feet above the ground
  • You flew the drone at full throttle backward into the large rocks behind where you were sitting
Snapshot1.jpg

Snapshot2.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas