DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro

I wondered this the other day, because in the last week or so I have started to receive adverts on Facebook for the Mavic 2 Pro from DJI, which I haven't received at all before despite owning my Mavic 2 Pro for eight months. Possibly trying to clear stock?

Like I said all speculation but what about the other factor, The AIR2? DJI themselves have put out a competitor to the Mavic 2 and really for what the AIR 2 is if it were the size of the Mavic 2 they could have called it the Mavic 3 and it would have been a nice upgrade. So now we have an $800.00 DJI product that more then rivals the Mavic 2. It brings us right back around to what can they do to make the Mavic 3 worth double the price of the AIR 2 to the consumer?
MA2 is threat only to non pro users in a way who don't take advantage of 1" sensor, variable aperture, D-LOG, HLG in 10 bit, there's simply no comparison between 8 and 10 bit among other things, those are main selling points of MP2 might even add more functional joystic with like 7 more functions & display + half shutter button , true 20mp sensor...therefore AIR2 is nowhere near being competitor to MP2 when it doesn't have even half of MP2 camera power. There are many other things that are irrelevant to many other users that MP2 packs ( omni sensing, quick shots at higher resolution then FHD and so on )

On the flip side IMO air2 is best option right now for the average users who don't need full power of MP2 at a nice price and I'm definitely getting one for travel and less demanding work that don't need high color grading, mainly because of weight & size that MA2 has, in LowePro ProTactic BP AW 450 II is hard to pack mp2 with additional batteries + joystic with camera gear... wheres original Air fits with whole FMC bag and all stuff in it + its much lighter lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jiggleman
MA2 is threat only to non pro users in a way who don't take advantage of 1" sensor, variable aperture, D-LOG, HLG in 10 bit, there's simply no comparison between 8 and 10 bit among other things, those are main selling points of MP2 might even add more functional joystic with like 7 more functions & display + half shutter button , true 20mp sensor...therefore AIR2 is nowhere near being competitor to MP2 when it doesn't have even half of MP2 camera power. There are many other things that are irrelevant to many other users that MP2 packs ( omni sensing, quick shots at higher resolution then FHD and so on )

On the flip side IMO air2 is best option right now for the average users who don't need full power of MP2 at a nice price and I'm definitely getting one for travel and less demanding work that don't need high color grading, mainly because of weight & size that MA2 has, in LowePro ProTactic BP AW 450 II is hard to pack ay with additional batteries + joystic with camera gear... wheres original Air fits with whole FMC bag and all stuff in it + its much lighter lol.
Isn’t more than 50% drone users non pro?

Edit: actually 71.5% hobby drones. I dint think DJI would not want to leave it that way for long

Last edited:

On the flip side IMO air2 is best option right now for the average users who don't need full power of MP2 at a nice price and I'm definitely getting one for travel and less demanding work that don't need high color grading, mainly because of weight & size that MA2 has, in LowePro ProTactic BP AW 450 II is hard to pack mp2 with additional batteries + joystic with camera gear... wheres original Air fits with whole FMC bag and all stuff in it + its much lighter lol.
I see what your saying, Im not a pro photographer but I did do enough research before buying my Zoom to realizes that Pro really shines in post production. Most reviews pointed out that the zoom did give high quality results to the casual user and that the zoom function was fun to play with. A huge selling point for me was also the Smart Controller. Now after seeing that the AIR2 is compatable and im sure will be offered soon bundles with the SC I wish I had waited, seems like the AIR2 would have been just as good and a $$$ saving option. Def sounds like you know your cams and use them to there potential. Shines a new light on things for me, will the mavic 3 be loaded up with new sensors and some mind blowing AI for flight or will it be carrying a new camera with insane specs that just makes a guy like you have to have one?

I see what your saying, Im not a pro photographer but I did do enough research before buying my Zoom to realizes that Pro really shines in post production. Most reviews pointed out that the zoom did give high quality results to the casual user and that the zoom function was fun to play with. A huge selling point for me was also the Smart Controller. Now after seeing that the AIR2 is compatable and im sure will be offered soon bundles with the SC I wish I had waited, seems like the AIR2 would have been just as good and a $$$ saving option. Def sounds like you know your cams and use them to there potential. Shines a new light on things for me, will the mavic 3 be loaded up with new sensors and some mind blowing AI for flight or will it be carrying a new camera with insane specs that just makes a guy like you have to have one?

Zoom is still great drone with optical zoom advantage but realistically speaking AIR2 IMO is better buy as of now price/value and zoom should be basically worth enough to sell it and get FMC AIR2 without loss of money or perhaps tiny bit adding, if you got FMC + smart controller then its worth way more then MA2 you should be good to even earn some back selling it all lol, tho if you ain't gonna use 4k 60 you don't really have need for MA2 as for 1080p 240 IMO it's a waste 1080 isn't anything special even on MP2, besides anything longer then 100-120 fps is overkill... at least for my needs ... never actually used 1080p 120 on mp2 lol, 4k 120 would be fun tho.

As for me personally MP3 wishlist and perhaps realistic expectations.

- 4k 60-120fps
- 1+" sensor
- 40min battery

...thats pretty much what would make me going for mp3 lol there's really not much MP2 needs aside only con they never wanted to give it which is 4k60 and nowadays 40min battery is a must for mp3 ...he'll MA could fly 15-16min max for me was 18 with like 3% battery left and MA2 goes 27-28min ...thats like 40% better battery life V.S. original.

As for using full potential of MP2 here quick video from yesterday D-LOG, heavy grade and normal grade colours.

Reactions: mswlogo
What would be nice is instead of the existing lights they upgrade to standard navigation strobes. Red forward port, Green forward starboard and white above or below the coupling info light on the rear.

How realistic would it be to fit an APS-C size sensor in a Mavic 2/3 sized drone? If not a micro four thirds?

Other than that I think 6/8k is the likely big upgrade, but it's so hard to work with on my Macbook (I tried editing Evo II 8k footage and it was a nightmare) that I personally wouldn't find it that appealling.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
No-one has any idea what and when DJI will release that far into the future.
Hence I will not drop even $10 to pre order it.

But I do believe the release date will be more or less around that time frame.

I'd like the 3 to be a 2 pro with a 4K 60fps, 35 minutes, ADS-B, wider aperture range (1.4 - 16?) all for $1700 (with price matching in the EU) Not fussed about any more sensors, and who needs 'better' than 4k? (on that note, I hear the Autel evo2 8k is a fudge)

Last edited:
Reactions: Waldo Pepper
How realistic would it be to fit an APS-C size sensor in a Mavic 2/3 sized drone? If not a micro four thirds?

Not realistic I would say. Even the phantom 4 pro uses an 1" sensor and its much larger than a M2. The problem with larger sensors is that they require more glass and more processing power which produces more heat and requires more cooling...all adding to more weight.

Don't get me wrong, I think a micro 4/3 sensor would be the sweet spot in terms of photo and video quality at a smaller size and would love to have a drone the size of a M2 with that sensor...but I think it'll be at 1" for awhile, sadly.

I'd like the 3 to be a 2 pro with a 4K 60fps, 35 minutes, ADS-B, wider aperture range (1.4 - 16?) all for $1700 (with price matching in the EU) Not fussed about any more sensors, and who needs 'better' than 4k? (on that note, I hear the Autel evo2 8k is a fudge)
That’s what swayed me away from Evo 2 8k, need to upgrade computer. Was seriously looking at Evo 2 Pro model, but I’m not anymore.

Would like to see Occusync 3 with Mavic 3 Pro, And better obstacle avoidance. Not for long range but up close flying in areas with heavy interference. I do a lot of flying in thick foliage, These two improved features will definitely help for my type of flying.

Paul

Don't get me wrong, I think a micro 4/3 sensor would be the sweet spot in terms of photo and video quality at a smaller size and would love to have a drone the size of a M2 with that sensor.
Bigger sensors require bigger cameras, lenses and gimbals.
Search for Xdynamics Evolve 2 to see the smallest drone carrying a micro 4/3 camera.
It's a little bigger than a Phantom 4.

Reactions: Jiggleman
Bigger sensors require bigger cameras, lenses and gimbals.
Search for Xdynamics Evolve 2 to see the smallest drone carrying a micro 4/3 camera.
It's a little bigger than a Phantom 4.

Wow that's pretty cool, maybe after a few more years the price and size will come down to something I can afford and pack away with me into my camera bag!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ