DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 RTH make me nervous

I just tested and I need to report the problem.
After:
  1. Set the homepoint correctly
  2. Make sure i had sufficient satellites (25) in this case
  3. Set the RTH altitude to 300 FT was my desired.
  4. Fly about 1000ft away in distance at 125FT altitude
  5. Press RTH in Sport Mode, Also i did the same test in Normal mode.
First problem
1- The aircraft return to home without gain the 300FT set altitude
2- You cant decrease altitude or gain speed by pressing the sticks (no sticks response unless you cancel)
3- when the aircraft is getting closer it start descending in 45 degrees instead to stop at the home point and then land.

This is not good in case you want to take off or land between 2 buildings for example.

I try the test in Normal and Sport mode with the same result. Have anybody else has the same issue?

I will be making more testing's and reporting.
in sport mode, the sensors are turn-off.

DJI's confidence in their OA by not providing a way to disable advanced RTH implies the new sensors are sophisticated enough to see wires now. Maybe someone will be brave enough to test this.
If they have improved their OA to that degree its noteworthy. My Air2 has almost hung itself from a couple power lines by our house lol

While I think Advanced RTH is a very clever idea that might have gotten me home safely in the past when I had a battery failure it does require one to build confidence in the drone capabilities. The user’s manual advises that it might not see a wire or a thin branch. It would seem inconsistent to warn of this and then force the Advanced RTH. I plan to run a series of tests when I begin to fly mine.

The other thing in the manual (page 18) that troubles me is the behavior if you hit RTH and the drone is only 5 m away it simply lands where it is. If you taking off from a small outcropping or a boat and immediately realized after takeoff that you didn’t turn on your anticollision strobe it might be a bad idea to hit RTH. At least for the water the IR sensors should tell the drone to hover rather than landing on an unsuitable surface. I suppose you could cancel if you were quick about it.

Reactions: bonzo
DJI's confidence in their OA by not providing a way to disable advanced RTH implies the new sensors are sophisticated enough to see wires now. Maybe someone will be brave enough to test this.
Or it just means another needed FW update for better control. 😋

So basically, advanced Ruth doesn’t work in sport mode?
I heard in DJI Opening Video, on opening day, for the M3, that all of the Avoid Sensors are turned-off in Sport Mode.

that is the same for the M2

Is it possible that for sport mode these are off, but when you hit RTH that they are turned back on? That would make sense if they did it that way. I will need to test this.

I do not believe so, the switch is a physical hard switch for each of the modes.

That doesn’t necessarily mean that the FW couldn’t turn on Adv RTH despite the switch setting. This needs to be verified which would be easy enough.

I'm sure that when activating RTH, it would display some sort of warning that the sensors aren't working. Also, on my Mavic 2 Pro, if I remember correctly, when RTH in sport mode, the sensors are working. I'm not sure, and I can't verify at the moment because I sold it and my Air 2S isn't working currently.

LOL OP is literally complaining that the old RTH is not working and Advanced RTH is working.

OP - Read about Advanced RTH on DJI website. Unlike the old RTH system, the new system doesnt go all the way up unless necessary, it will find the most optimal path to automatically reach the home point and it can look 200m ahead and plan accordingly

View attachment 138220
LOL OP is literally complaining that the old RTH is not working and Advanced RTH is working.

OP - Read about Advanced RTH on DJI website. Unlike the old RTH system, the new system doesnt go all the way up unless necessary, it will find the most optimal path to automatically reach the home point and it can look 200m ahead and plan accordingly

View attachment 138220
We will see how effective this RTH is, because not always what surrounds the take-off point is the most optimal, or that the area is clear, I have serious doubts about how effective this new RTH is, perhaps for the drone to return until the VLOS point and from there cancel to land it manually, the problem will happen when you do not have any control over the drone, due to loss of communication and you cannot correct the path of the drone's RTH ...

Reactions: BSauce955
Thanks for sharing

I would much rather have the option to RTH in the original old style way, i.e. climb to pre-programmed height, turn in direction of home, fly that path, at least until having tested the new method out completely & I for one would NEVER trust the drone to see powerlines, especially if flying towards one of them & the one it can't see is in line with horizon or obscured by sunlight etc, DJI should give an option for selecting method 1 or 2 for RTH or I can see a lot of youtube videos appearing in the next year showing disasters with overhead lines or tall thin branches in Winter.

In the app, there is no way to disable the advance RTH.
If you are able to disable obstacle avoidance (is that still possible?) that should mean that the drone would use the old fashioned RTH method.

Reactions: zeusfl
If you are able to disable obstacle avoidance (is that still possible?) that should mean that the drone would use the old fashioned RTH method.
I believe that’s right. I will try that tomorrow.

This feature will keep me nervous.
You’re not the only one. A year from now we’re probably all going to be enthusing on how this is one of the greatest things ever but until it’s tried, tested and proven in busy terrain and multiple scenarios it’s going to cause an elevated heart rate while waiting for it to come home.

Regards
Ari

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost