Join Us Now

Mavic 3 RTH make me nervous

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
I just tested and I need to report the problem.
After:
  1. Set the homepoint correctly
  2. Make sure i had sufficient satellites (25) in this case
  3. Set the RTH altitude to 300 FT was my desired.
  4. Fly about 1000ft away in distance at 125FT altitude
  5. Press RTH in Sport Mode, Also i did the same test in Normal mode.
First problem
1- The aircraft return to home without gain the 300FT set altitude
2- You cant decrease altitude or gain speed by pressing the sticks (no sticks response unless you cancel)
3- when the aircraft is getting closer it start descending in 45 degrees instead to stop at the home point and then land.

This is not good in case you want to take off or land between 2 buildings for example.

I try the test in Normal and Sport mode with the same result. Have anybody else has the same issue?

I will be making more testing's and reporting.

LOL OP is literally complaining that the old RTH is not working and Advanced RTH is working.

OP - Read about Advanced RTH on DJI website. Unlike the old RTH system, the new system doesnt go all the way up unless necessary, it will find the most optimal path to automatically reach the home point and it can look 200m ahead and plan accordingly

34D81446-CFE6-46BD-A219-DC02CF3A28DD.jpeg

Well !!!!!! thanks for the information. I feel dumb... LOL.
This feature will keep me nervous. I will test all scenarios.

All these little helpers are nice, but I understand that with no information displayed (afaik) and coming from an older system, you may get perplex of what is happening.

Or does the system tell you, that RTH is in advanced mode while returning?
These are little extras DJI has to put into their software - giving the user a bit more feedback of what is going on with all those automatism tbh.

Last edited:
I think it’d be helpful for there to be some sort of display showing where this intended route goes.

I will do a screen recording making the test for everybody benefits.

Well !!!!!! thanks for the information. I feel dumb... LOL.
This feature will keep me nervous. I will test all scenarios.
Definitely agreed, I would be more nervous with Advanced RTH compared to RTH. Regular RTH will just go straight up and straight to home point, this is definitely scary lol. Idk how often I would try this. Very interested to see what you find.
I think it’d be helpful for there to be some sort of display showing where this intended route goes.
A big +1 on this. If my M3 goes straight near a tree and going to dodge it, I am going to override before it gets close haha

Reactions: BSauce955
I tested at night and returned to home in the old way. Went up, flew to the home point and then landed.
In advance RTH the drone start losing altitude way before get to the home point like in 45 angle.

I tested at night and returned to home in the old way. Went up, flew to the home point and then landed.
In advance RTH the drone start losing altitude way before get to the home point like in 45 angle.
What you have reported so far is EXCTLY how the advanced RTH is designed.

Note the advanced RTH only works in day light. At night it switch back to normal RTH, because the two front sensors cannot see far enough to avoid obstacles in realtime.

screenshot.jpg

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
This is great if works correctly. I need to test that out flying in low altitude with trees around. That is my fear. I hope works. Just because that I am getting the DJI Refresh plan. We are the beta testers for them.

Reactions: jonatious
I try the test in Normal and Sport mode with the same result.
That's to be expected.
When you or the drone initiates RTH, it makes no difference what mode the drone was in because it exits that mode and goes to RTH mode.
The drone doesn't return in Sport or Normal mode.

Reactions: GFields
Is it possible to disable it?
I am not sure, I thought I saw a screenshot being able to enable/disable it, but can't find it anywhere.
It's not mentioned in the manual of the Mavic 3 and for the RC Pro there's only a quick start. Needless to say, there's no documentation for DJI Fly ... 😒

Last edited:
the so called advanced RTH is using the sensors on the drone ,to bring it back to the home point by the shortest route ,it is the same as descending and moving forwards that most of us do when we bring the drone home manually
it has two advantages ,it prevents VRS from developing by keeping the drone in clean air ,and it reduces the altitude if its fighting a head wind
of course for it to be successful then the drones ability to avoid objects in its path ,has to be very reliable and ,and I can imagine that watching a M3 coming home in that fashion, into a restricted landing area would be quite nerve racking , i think that if it were me i would probably cancel the last part of the RTH and bring it home manually

Besides that, I regard RTH as a thing just for abnormal situations.
I try to use as few automatic things as possible as you seldomly know, what it's going on with so little feedback from the app on this side.

And of course cannot stand the constant beeping while returning.
By the way, can this or the low battery warning be silenced for the M3 as with the older models? It's already not working on the M2 ... 😆

Reactions: TTP
In the app, there is no way to disable the advance RTH. Also does not tell you if is coming back using advanced RTH.
They should tell you and have a check box to disable it.

Just imagine the drone coming back having told power lines in the way !!! I don't trust that. Is convenient for DJI to force people to get the Refresh kit fly away. Having that disabled I don't need the insurance.

So what happens when the Advanced RTH is on and something it can't sense, like a power line, is in its supposed clear air path?
DJI's confidence in their OA by not providing a way to disable advanced RTH implies the new sensors are sophisticated enough to see wires now. Maybe someone will be brave enough to test this.

I don't know. I will need to see it to trust it. I am sure this will boost their refresh kit sales.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe