DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 twitchy?

Filmarik

Reactions
How is your M3 flying? Mine is twitchi in the air. No matter how smoothly and gradually I try to bring it to stop it always makes fast rocking motion backwards and forward just bedore stopping, sort of like a twitch. It simply won't come to the stop smoothly. It does this in all modes, N and S being the worst in this regard. FW .0800

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagle430
@Filmarik ,i do not have a mavic 3 ,but i do own a Mini 3 pro that has a similar APAS system called bypass mode ,and it is also twitchy ,if the bypass mode is selected ,try turning it off completely or just try it in brake mode and see if that helps, my thoughts on the reasons for its twitchy behavior is to do with the programming for the APAS ,to enable it to react quickly when it detects an obstacle ,hopefully future updates will help in that regard

@Filmarik ,i do not have a mavic 3 ,but i do own a Mini 3 pro that has a similar APAS system called bypass mode ,and it is also twitchy ,if the bypass mode is selected ,try turning it off completely or just try it in brake mode and see if that helps, my thoughts on the reasons for its twitchy behavior is to do with the programming for the APAS ,to enable it to react quickly when it detects an obstacle ,hopefully future updates will help in that regard
I am not sure if Mavic 3 has bypass mode, let alone if it can be turned off

I am not sure if Mavic 3 has bypass mode, let alone if it can be turned off
There's nothing you can do about it.
DJI has the braking turned way up and it's not possible to modify it.
There is no good reason for the Mavic 3 to act differently from every other DJI drone.
This has been discussed many times since the Mavic 3 was released.

There's nothing you can do about it.
DJI has the braking turned way up and it's not possible to modify it.
There is no good reason for the Mavic 3 to act differently from every other DJI drone.
This has been discussed many times since the Mavic 3 was released.
Ok, thanks. I hope DJI will address this in next FW. The breaking is way too sharp at present.

Last edited:
I am on Normal and will try the Nifty. But the Nifty does not have a good reviews at the moment. Apparently in this mode the tracking is all over the place and the drone does strange and quite inpredictable things. I did not know that this setting also affects manual flying behaviour.

I am on Normal and will try the Nifty. But the Nifty does not have a good reviews at the moment. Apparently in this mode the tracking is all over the place and the drone does strange and quite inpredictable things. I did not know that this setting also affects manual flying behaviour.
I use Nifty all the time and have no issues doing active track or flying. I also don't have the jerkiness like it used to have. If you are flying around a lot of obstacles then it is unavoidable and I recommend you use brake instead.

I use Nifty all the time and have no issues doing active track or flying. I also don't have the jerkiness like it used to have. If you are flying around a lot of obstacles then it is unavoidable and I recommend you use brake instead.
Not sure if we are on the same page. I am talking about flying the drone manually, not active tracking or other intelligent modes

Not sure if we are on the same page. I am talking about flying the drone manually, not active tracking or other intelligent modes
"Apparently in this mode the tracking is all over the place and the drone does strange and quite inpredictable things."

This is what you mentioned about tracking and hence my answer to you unless you have a different meaning to what tracking is for the drone.

"Apparently in this mode the tracking is all over the place and the drone does strange and quite inpredictable things."

This is what you mentioned about tracking and hence my answer to you unless you have a different meaning to what tracking is for the drone.
Sorry for the misunderstandig. What I wanted to ask was whether this Nifty setting also affects how the drone flies when flown manually. Doe it eliminat the rocking motion when stopping? Because that's what I dislike the most. When flying slowly and trying to gently stop, the drone rocks fast back and forth for no apparent reason before going into steady hover. When flying fast and I release the sticks, it brakes and stops gradually as it should withouth the twitch. But when flying slowly and I release the sticks it twitches once fast back and forth.

Ok, thanks. I hope DJI will address this in next FW. The breaking is way too sharp at present.
Since they haven't done anything about it in previous firmware updates, I wouldn't expect them to do anything about it now.
They are oblivious to complaints about it.

Change your APAS to brake instead of bypass, this allows for smoother flying.
That's all about obstacle avoidance, but the OP is asking about braking.
The Mavic 3 throws the drone into full reverse and tilts back at 30° when you centre the sticks, even if you are only ghosting around at 2 mph.

Reactions: Filmarik
That's all about obstacle avoidance, but the OP is asking about braking.
The Mavic 3 throws the drone into full reverse and tilts back at 30° when you centre the sticks, even if you are only ghosting around at 2 mph.
...and even if you centre the sticks veeeery slowly. Hope DJI is receiving lots of feedback about this and will tune up the values in next FW...

I had my first flying today with the Mavic 3, coming from a Mavic 2 pro, I am very disappointed. The sudden braking/jerkiness when coming off the sticks is ridiculous. For a hobbyist it might not be an issue but for someone using the drone for professional videos this is a big issue. This jerkiness is causing a lot of vibration to the drone, also if you are going forwards/backwards the drone will do a sudden nose down/up due to the excessive braking, I don't know if this can cause the battery to become loose?
Also the overall flying experience , I felt the drone was not very responsive , compared to my Mavic 2 pro. I've also read a lot of posts about this jerkiness and there is no solution. I am very disappointed so far with the Mavic 3, I mean a larger sensor/ bigger resolution means nothing if the video is not smooth

I had my first flying today with the Mavic 3, coming from a Mavic 2 pro, I am very disappointed. The sudden braking/jerkiness when coming off the sticks is ridiculous. For a hobbyist it might not be an issue but for someone using the drone for professional videos this is a big issue. This jerkiness is causing a lot of vibration to the drone, also if you are going forwards/backwards the drone will do a sudden nose down/up due to the excessive braking, I don't know if this can cause the battery to become loose?
Also the overall flying experience , I felt the drone was not very responsive , compared to my Mavic 2 pro. I've also read a lot of posts about this jerkiness and there is no solution. I am very disappointed so far with the Mavic 3, I mean a larger sensor/ bigger resolution means nothing if the video is not smooth
I hear you and so far I did not do enough flying and videoing to see if this is causing an issue. On the other hand this should be pretty simple to fix via PID tuning. DJI needs to assign someone to look into this quick smart. As this thing flies and breaks at present is a joke.

I hear you and so far I did not do enough flying and videoing to see if this is causing an issue. On the other hand this should be pretty simple to fix via PID tuning. DJI needs to assign someone to look into this quick smart. As this thing flies and breaks at present is a joke.
I am very disappointed on this, I am really thinking to keep my Mavic 2 pro and sell the Mavic 3, so far no solution for this. Also is this jerkiness on during intelligent flight modes as well?

Mine is twitchy when flying manually, however that twitchyness never shows up when taking videos because the gimble compensates for that.

Reactions: Greenflash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000