DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 twitchy?

Mine is twitchy when flying manually, however that twitchyness never shows up when taking videos because the gimble compensates for that.
The point is why a new drone is flying like that while the older model is flying fine ? Depending on the move while recording a video , in some videos the gimball can not compensate and it will show on the video.

I hear you and so far I did not do enough flying and videoing to see if this is causing an issue. On the other hand this should be pretty simple to fix via PID tuning. DJI needs to assign someone to look into this quick smart. As this thing flies and breaks at present is a joke.
I've seen every video review I could put my hands on before buying this M3 and I have not seen once someone mentionioned this twitchy behaviour. Noone ever noticed this?? Or maybe noone flies this drone manually and this is not present in intelligent modes?

Reactions: Eagle430
I've seen every video review I could put my hands on before buying this M3 and I have not seen once someone mentionioned this twitchy behaviour. Noone ever noticed this?? Or maybe noone flies this drone manually and this is not present in intelligent modes?
I was also wondering the same thing , I have read about it in a lot of forums but nobody mentioned it in any YouTube video, I am flying manual all the time as well

If you read up on the Mavic 3, you will notice that it advertises that the OA system can detect obstacles within a 200m radius,, when flying manually or intelligent flight modes and OA is set to bypass, the Mavic 3 will continuously scan the environment around it so when coming to a stop and the OA system is set to bypass and there is obstacles around the Mavic 3, the stop will look very abrupt but this will not show in your videos. It has been said and tested that if you want smoother flying and a gradual soft stop, then you need to set your OA system to off if no obstacles are around or set it to brake. This makes your OA system less sensitive.

If you read up on the Mavic 3, you will notice that it advertises that the OA system can detect obstacles within a 200m radius,, when flying manually or intelligent flight modes and OA is set to bypass, the Mavic 3 will continuously scan the environment around it so when coming to a stop and the OA system is set to bypass and there is obstacles around the Mavic 3, the stop will look very abrupt but this will not show in your videos. It has been said and tested that if you want smoother flying and a gradual soft stop, then you need to set your OA system to off if no obstacles are around or set it to brake. This makes your OA system less sensitive.
There wasn't any obstacles on my flight with in a range of 1km ,I was flying in an empty field, 25meters height nothing anywhere. I am NOT talking about OAvoidance but manual normal flight

There wasn't any obstacles on my flight with in a range of 1km ,I was flying in an empty field, 25meters height nothing anywhere. I am NOT talking about OAvoidance but manual normal flight
But did you have the OA turned off? Even if you are flying manually and your OA system is turned on the it is working. How high were you flying over the fields? I am sure you know that the Mavic 3 uses the bottom sensors for obstacle avoidance as well. People need to understand that the OA system is running all the time even if you turn it off in the settings, the bottom sensors can never be turned off.

But did you have the OA turned off? Even if you are flying manually and your OA system is turned on the it is working. How high were you flying over the fields? I am sure you know that the Mavic 3 uses the bottom sensors for obstacle avoidance as well. People need to understand that the OA system is running all the time even if you turn it off in the settings, the bottom sensors can never be turned off.
I had my oa turned to stop but as I mention it has nothing to do with oa, the drone was coming to a hard stop / full brake on everytime I had the stick to the center, for example moving sideways or forward/backward. I ve read a lot of posts about it on the internet, and also I am very smooth with the sticks, I didn't had any similar issue with my Mavic 2. Has nothing to do with oa, I ve read it's a setting on the exp that DJI has disabled on the fly app ( go fly 4 has this option)

I had my oa turned to stop but as I mention it has nothing to do with oa, the drone was coming to a hard stop / full brake on everytime I had the stick to the center, for example moving sideways or forward/backward. I ve read a lot of posts about it on the internet, and also I am very smooth with the sticks, I didn't had any similar issue with my Mavic 2. Has nothing to do with oa, I ve read it's a setting on the exp that DJI has disabled on the fly app ( go fly 4 has this option)
If the OA was set to brake and it is still doing this then maybe there is something else wrong. It is a pity that we cannot calibrate the vision sensors anymore using Assistant 2. Have you tried refreshing the FW via Assistant 2 and seeing if that helps the situation?

If the OA was set to brake and it is still doing this then maybe there is something else wrong. It is a pity that we cannot calibrate the vision sensors anymore using Assistant 2. Have you tried refreshing the FW via Assistant 2 and seeing if that helps the situation?
Actually I haven't , are you having the same issue with your Mavic 3? A lot of people are complaining about it, I don't know if it's something wrong with specific models or if this problem is on all Mavic 3 drones?

Just to add to this. The extremely hard stopping motion/rocking back and forth when the drone is just about to reach 0 speed is happening also in S mode when the OA system is switched off by default, as the warning about this pops up on the screen every time the flight switch is set to S. I am also very gentle with the sticks, so it is not that. I have also decreased the EXP values to 20, even tried 15 in FlyApp to make the sticks less sensitive around the centre. It has had no affect on this fast rocking motion just before the drone comes to full stop. This happens even when cruising at almost zero speed forward and backwards and there is absolutely no need for hard stopping. It is just a motion build into this drone flight control system which needs to be removed or finetuned by DJI engineers, alowing the drone to come to full stop in natural gradual motion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagle430
Actually I haven't , are you having the same issue with your Mavic 3? A lot of people are complaining about it, I don't know if it's something wrong with specific models or if this problem is on all Mavic 3 drones?
Mine is also always set to Nifty and I don't have any radical movements out of it. Mine actually fly's properly

Just to add to this. The extremely hard stopping motion/rocking back and forth when the drone is just about to reach 0 speed is happening also in S mode when the OA system is switched off by default, as the warning about this pops up on the screen every time the flight switch is set to S. I am also very gentle with the sticks, so it is not that. I have also decreased the EXP values to 20, even tried 15 in FlyApp to make the sticks less sensitive around the centre. It has had no affect on this fast rocking motion just before the drone comes to full stop. This happens even when cruising at almost zero speed forward and backwards and there is absolutely no need for hard stopping. It is just a motion build into this drone flight control system whibch needs to be removed or finetuned by DJI engineers.
Does it also do it in Cine Mode?

Yes, to a bit lesser degree
Can i recommend that you also try to do a firmware refresh using Dji Assistant 2 and see if that helps. Although many will argue this but i have a routine after doing a FW refresh/update, i always run the update/refresh twice on my drone, then i let the drone sit for about 30 minutes to cool down, do an IMU calibration of a very flat level surface, then I do a Gimbal calibration then a compass calibration outside.

Does it also do it in Cine Mode?
Mine is doing it on cine and normal modes I didn't bother to try it on sport mode as I am not using this mode. What setting is the nifty you are talking about? We are not taking about during flying but when you gentle move the sticks to the middle so that the drone stops, it makes a very sudden / jerky stop

I am always flying manually. I rarely use Active track now or any other flight modes.
Well, Nifty is something I have not tried and now I definitely will. Even though the logic tells me that this setting should have no effect on the drone when flying it manually. But with DJI one never knows...Which FW are you on?

Mine is doing it on cine and normal modes I didn't bother to try it on sport mode as I am not using this mode. What setting is the nifty you are talking about? We are not taking about during flying but when you gentle move the sticks to the middle so that the drone stops, it makes a very sudden / jerky stop
I will try when the weather clears up here to move the sticks slowly to center position and see what the reaction of the drone is but i generally just let go of the sticks if i need the drone to stop and it comes to a gentle stop with no jerkiness.

Just to add to this. The extremely hard stopping motion/rocking back and forth when the drone is just about to reach 0 speed is happening also in S mode when the OA system is switched off by default, as the warning about this pops up on the screen every time the flight switch is set to S. I am also very gentle with the sticks, so it is not that. I have also decreased the EXP values to 20, even tried 15 in FlyApp to make the sticks less sensitive around the centre. It has had no affect on this fast rocking motion just before the drone comes to full stop. This happens even when cruising at almost zero speed forward and backwards and there is absolutely no need for hard stopping. It is just a motion build into this drone flight control system which needs to be removed or finetuned by DJI engineers, alowing the drone to come to full stop in natural gradual motion.
Exactly what I also have, this is not very good as the drone makes this sudden moves there is a possibility after some time for the battery to become loose, for example in windy conditions . I haven't played with the exp as I am worrying I might make it worse

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J