DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 twitchy?

Nifty works under a certain speed like any other OA system. I have done some flying around trees, a lot of trees with drone set to Nifty and flying manually and it works. Just be careful that the drone sensors cannot pick up small twigs and branches.
I am used to fly manually and be in control of the drone with sticks rather than rely on OA. That's what I learned long time ago when flying RC helicopters. But I suppose it is good to have these extra safety features when things get out of hand knowing that they can save the day🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: Suren
Ok, back to .0700 and few more tests taking in all the advice and experience all of you shared in this thread.
My findings are as follows.
Downgrading to .0700 from .0800 did not make any difference to the twitchy stopping motion.
What however made difference was the Obstacle Avoidance Action setting under Flight Assistance Safety tab.
When set to Off and Brake the issue was present as discussed on this forum, sharp rocking back and forth upon coming to full stop, even at very low speed.
Set to Bypass and Normal made immediate impact and I was able to stop gently the drone with joysticks without the rocking motion. Overall flying and braking was a lot smoother.
Seting this to Nifty made the flying a bit more smoother yet, and the rocking motion at stopping was gone completely.
I am not sure if this Assistance is suppose to only work when the craft is in RTH and those intelligent flight modes or also when flying manually. I slowly approached a big tree testing how the OA would react but appart from heptic and sound feedback of RCPro, the drone continued very close to the tree for my liking, 1m or so, so I got nervous and stopped and reversed it myself.
Where is this Nifty setting ?

Where is this Nifty setting ?
Press the ... dots in top right corner in FlyApp. Then go to Safety tab - Flight Assistance - Obstacle Avoidance Action - Bypass - Nifty. The drone must be turned on and linked to controller for these settings to be available to change.

Reactions: Eagle430
Press the ... dots in top right corner in FlyApp. Then go to Safety tab - Flight Assistance - Obstacle Avoidance Action - Bypass - Nifty. The drone must be turned on and linked to controller for these settings to be available to change.
Thank you will try it and hopefully the problem will be solved

By the way I was flying in an open field, nothing near the drone to activate the oa system, I just had the oa to "brake". Just to clarify that we are talking about the same jerkiness/ sudden braking with out the oa being activated

I noticed on my new Mavic 3 that it not only exhibits the behavior described by OP, but also at times during acceleration it’ll rock forward and backward almost as if it’s trying to both accelerate and brake at the same time.

My wife looked up at the drone the other day and said “is it already broken?” and she knows exactly 0 about drones and never pays much attention when it’s in the air, but even to the most casual observers that type of movement isn’t right.

Makes me want to return it and stick with the Air 2S. The camera quality is insanely good. But the flight characteristics are… questionable.

I noticed on my new Mavic 3 that it not only exhibits the behavior described by OP, but also at times during acceleration it’ll rock forward and backward almost as if it’s trying to both accelerate and brake at the same time.

My wife looked up at the drone the other day and said “is it already broken?” and she knows exactly 0 about drones and never pays much attention when it’s in the air, but even to the most casual observers that type of movement isn’t right.

Makes me want to return it and stick with the Air 2S. The camera quality is insanely good. But the flight characteristics are… questionable.
I completely understand you, I feel exactly the same, I never had any issue with my Mavic 2 pro and it was very smooth and responsive. I have contacted DJI about this and they asked me for a video to see the problem. I will keep you updated

How is your M3 flying? Mine is twitchi in the air. No matter how smoothly and gradually I try to bring it to stop it always makes fast rocking motion backwards and forward just bedore stopping, sort of like a twitch. It simply won't come to the stop smoothly. It does this in all modes, N and S being the worst in this regard. FW .0800
Yes, this behavior is documented quite well on YouTube as caused by the APAS system. The solution has been to change the setting from 'Bypass' to 'Stop'.

Yes, this behavior is documented quite well on YouTube as caused by the APAS system. The solution has been to change the setting from 'Bypass' to 'Stop'.
I was flying with OA set to stop and I had exactly the jerky /sudden stop behaviour with out anything near by

I was flying with OA set to stop and I had exactly the jerky /sudden stop behaviour with out anything near by
Guys, read my "findings" #59 on page 3. Just set the Flight Assistance to Bypass and then Normal or Nifty and see if it changes your drone's flight charasteristics. In my case it did. I know it does not make sense since I, as probably most of you thought that these settings only affect how the drone avoids obstacles when tracking and how it flies in other intelligent modes. But to my surprise these settings also affect how the drone flies when flown manually with joisticks. The jerky kicks back and forth when coming to a stop or even when accellerating are pretty much gone!!

Last edited:
Guys, just read my "findings" #59 on page 3, set up the Flight Assistance to Bypass and then Normal or Nifty and see if it changes your dron's flight charasteristics. In my case it did. I know it does not make sense since I, as probably most of you, thought that these settings only affect how the drone flies and avoids obstacles when tracking and in other intelligent modes. But to my surprise these settings also affect how the drone flies with joisticks manually. The jerky kicks back and forth when trying to stop or even accellerate are 90% gone!!

So you’re saying the jerkiness went away when you switched from Bypass mode to Stop mode?

So you’re saying the jerkiness went away when you switched from Bypass mode to Stop mode?
No, the other way round. The jerkiness is pretty much gone when you set Bypass - Normal or Nifty. Nifty makes the drone fly even marginally smoother than Normal but both to a large degree eliminate the jerkiness when the drone is flown manually with joysticks.

Last edited:
Guys, read my "findings" #59 on page 3. Just set the Flight Assistance to Bypass and then Normal or Nifty and see if it changes your drone's flight charasteristics. In my case it did. I know it does not make sense since I, as probably most of you thought that these settings only affect how the drone avoids obstacles when tracking and how it flies in other intelligent modes. But to my surprise these settings also affect how the drone flies when flown manually with joisticks. The jerky kicks back and forth when coming to a stop or even when accellerating are pretty much gone!!
Did you also change any EXP values?

Tried setting the OA to bypass and normal , but it made marginal to no difference for the sudden stop.
DJI replied to my email after sending them a video as well with the behaviour of my drone. The reply was:
We have received a feedback from the relevant team in regard to this. According to video provided, this phenomenon is in normal range. However, you may try to decrease the EXP data. The EXP is referring to the drone’s exponential.

Kindly adjust the parameter to obtain the ratio between the different physical stick movement and the output stick movement. When moving the control stick in the same manner, the higher EXP, the faster the aircraft speed. If you are a newbie in this, we do not recommend modifying EXP on your own. Please use the default value instead. If the value has been modified, kindly go to [Advanced Settings] - [Reset Gain & Expo Tuning].

Anyone played with the EXP settings for a smoother flying experience?

Anyone played with the EXP settings for a smoother flying experience?
Exp will make the joystick response less sensitive, but no amount of Exp setting has done anything to modify the severe braking, no matter how slowly I release the sticks or how slowly the drone is flying.

Exp will make the joystick response less sensitive, but no amount of Exp setting has done anything to modify the severe braking, no matter how slowly I release the sticks or how slowly the drone is flying.
Well, I do not know. In my case the setting of OA to Bypass (instead of Brake or Off) and then Normal or Nifty made markable difference in how aggressively the drone breaks. This also depends on how gentle you are with the sticks. I would suggest to change the Expo values down 15 and try to bring the forward ( backward) stick to centre position really slowly when bringing the drone to full stop.

The severe breaking can be modified by the Flight Assistance Settings. Instead of Brake set it to Bypass and then Normal or Nifty and let us know if this makes any difference to how it flies and breaks. With these settings and by being very gentle on the sticks I am able to bring the drone to full stop without that notorious fast rocking motion back and forth.

The severe breaking can be modified by the Flight Assistance Settings. Instead of Brake set it to Bypass and then Normal or Nifty and let us know if this makes any difference to how it flies and breaks. With these settings and by being very gentle on the sticks I am able to bring the drone to full stop without that notorious fast rocking motion back and forth.
Already tried it, just a little better but still for my liking it stops very sudden, it's no where smooth as it was my Mavic 2

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77