DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 v.s Mavic 3 Pro - camera module comparison

K, guess now that it's out. Seems like the only thing they did to it was introduced two telephoto options and add dlog-m (in addition to the existing dlog).

And then reduced the flight time and increased the weight.

So I guess if you need the tele it's good otherwise not much different than the mavic 3.
M3 just got a firmware update:

Well, DJI has really confused the situation. They're incorrectly citing "optical zoom" specs on the 3X and 7X camera.

Neither camera offers optical zoom. The magnification level (focal length) is fixed for all three cameras.

Screenshot 2023-04-25 095513.jpg Screenshot 2023-04-25 095533.jpg

Source: DJI Mavic 3 Pro product page - DJI Mavic 3 Pro - Inspiration in Focus - DJI

Last edited:
Add a compa
The improvement is real. It is mentioned in the leaked official press release, which is supposed to go live tomorrow. The only question is, to what degree is the optical improvement affects the final image quality. We shall find out pretty soon.

By the way, I think the "29X hybrid zoom" there must be a typo. Should be 28X instead.

View attachment 163111

The first comparison between the old v.s new 7X telephoto camera is out. The optical resolution is indeed improved.

screenshot.png

Interesting new bird, I look forward to seeing the comparisons optically. It took me 3 different versions of the Cine to get a good main camera, not sure I want to go through that again so I will wait to see how q/c works out on the new one for at least a couple months.

Well, DJI has really confused the situation. They're incorrectly citing "optical zoom" specs on the 3X and 7X camera.

Neither camera offers optical zoom. The magnification level (focal length) is fixed for all three cameras.

View attachment 163161 View attachment 163162

Source: DJI Mavic 3 Pro product page - DJI Mavic 3 Pro - Inspiration in Focus - DJI

The situation is certainly confusing, but DJI is hardly the first manufacturer to muddle the water. Samsung is the first to use the term "optical zoom" to promote their pericope lens in S20 Ultra, and all the tech review websites have been following the suit. I think they use that term to differentiate between "real zoom" v.s. "digital zoom". There's no need to get hung up on it.

screenshot.png

Add a compa

The first comparison between the old v.s new 7X telephoto camera is out. The optical resolution is indeed improved.

View attachment 163168
Why is the tree'd background completely different? I get there's a measly +4mm zoom but should it look THAT different? weird

So does the drone ship 9th May, 2023 or 5th September, 2023?
This American date notation even for other countries is just ridiculous on DJI's site. 😂

1682435328593.png

Besides the very fine technical data (what the Mavic 3 should have been from the start anyway), it's way too heavy for Europe. Anything above 900 g renders it more or less useless (for my recreational purpose).

Last edited:
Why is the tree'd background completely different? I get there's a measly +4mm zoom but should it look THAT different? weird
Bad example shots
The background looks different because the shots were taken with the drones in different positions.
The distant treed background isn't visible at all in the second shot.
i-BthzFvZ-L.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kanesimages
Bad example shots
The background looks different because the shots were taken with the drones in different positions.
The distant treed background isn't visible at all in the second shot.
i-BthzFvZ-L.jpg

The set up is far from ideal. But there is no denial that the details of the wooden cabin, and the person in focus, are much sharper on the right.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
DJI's official promotional video for Mavic 3 Pro is out on Youtube (make sure to watch it in 4K):

The new 70mm telephoto camera is surprisingly capable. I am quite impressed by the amount of details in the video captured by that camera.

The 166m telephoto camera is also improved. Not to the level of 24/70mm, but is quite usable right now. Finally I can mix its video with the videos captured by the other two cameras, without feeling that huge disconnection in quality.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
DJI's official promotional video for Mavic 3 Pro is out on Youtube (make sure to watch it in 4K):

The new 70mm telephoto camera is surprisingly capable. I am quite impressed by the amount of details in the video captured by that camera.

The 166m telephoto camera is also improved. Not to the level of 24/70mm, but is quite usable right now. Finally I can mix its video with the videos captured by the other two cameras, without feeling that huge disconnection in quality.
Even in that they're calling it "7x optical zoom".

4K video quality comparison, for all three cameras. I have to say that I am very impressed.

screenshot.png

The set up is far from ideal. But there is no denial that the details of the wooden cabin, and the person in focus, are much sharper on the right.
My 7x on M3 is not that soft as the sample tries to show. Yes, out of the camera photos are pretty soft looking but after applying good amount of USM the photos are perfectly usable, IMHO. The new 7x camera/lens combo will likely be better but how much better remains to be seen. The samples might be a bit misleading as the original 7x from M3 looks out of focus to me.

My 7x on M3 is not that soft as the sample tries to show. Yes, out of the camera photos are pretty soft looking but after applying good amount of USM the photos are perfectly usable, IMHO. The new 7x camera/lens combo will likely be better but how much better remains to be seen. The samples might be a bit misleading as the original 7x from M3 looks out of focus to me.
I would like to see a comparison of the M3 3x zoom vs the M3P 3x tele.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13