DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 v.s Mavic 3 Pro - camera module comparison

I would like to see a comparison of the M3 3x zoom vs the M3P 3x tele.
The Mavic 3 Classic will probably be the last DJI product I will buy then. Such a short time between different drone iterations would be a joke. Technology is evolving too fast.
The Mavic 3 Classic was a stripped down "poor man's" Mavic 3, solely to save money, by removing the 7x telephoto. The real Mavic 3 is now 15 months old, so 15 months for an improved Mavic 3 Pro adding yet a third camera is a reasonable time, and a worthwhile upgrade.

The price difference between the Air 2S and M3C is only $150 For the base configUration.

Not really that much but the M3C I also abOut 50% hEavier, just under 900 grams vs. Just under 600 grams.

a lot of people might make the trade off, 1 inch sensor vs. Micro Four Thirds sensor, for 10.6 ounces less, more than 7/10 of a pound lighter.

of course the M3C is probably better against wind though.
Yes especially considering that the difference in terms of image quality isn't really that noticable between the old 1 inch sensor of the Air 2S and the new micro four thirds of the Classic and I even bet that the next sensor on the Air 3 will deliver better and sharper images than those of the Mavic 3 line.

Now we can wonder if it will also get the adjustable aperture of the most expensive Mavic.

The Mavic 3 Classic was a stripped down "poor man's" Mavic 3, solely to save money, by removing the 7x telephoto. The real Mavic 3 is now 15 months old, so 15 months for an improved Mavic 3 Pro adding yet a third camera is a reasonable time, and a worthwhile upgrade.
That's why I don't see any reason to release an Air 3, the Mavic 3 Classic being already there. Unless they can fit the same technology on an Air body but that would be an insult to Mavic 3 Classic owners.

Reactions: maugummi
That's why I don't see any reason to release an Air 3, the Mavic 3 Classic being already there. Unless they can fit the same technology on an Air body but that would be an insult to Mavic 3 Classic owners.
Agreed. An Air 3 is just pure speculation, with no need for it. The real differentiators are now 250g and 900g. The Mavic 3 Classic is not much larger than the Air 2S nor significantly more expensive, so there is no need for an Air 3.

will pull the trigger and get one once i sell my other m3. will try to do a comparison but other YTbers with access to demo unit will surely beat me to it lol

So what is the weight of this thing?

Price?

Did they announce or are people getting leaks from reviewers who got units?
Its out and I got the official email offering it from DJI 2199.00 (US) in a basic offering NOT the flymore

If you haven’t watched 12 videos on it alteady, here’s another one. 😁 The takeaway for me is that the 3x with the 1/1.3” sensor is the sweet spot. It gives amazing image quality, and more importantly I can keep the drone further away, so bystanders are less concerned with it. That’s huge!

DJI Mavic 3 Pro - It’s ALL About the Cameras!

If you haven’t watched 12 videos on it alteady, here’s another one. 😁 The takeaway for me is that the 3x with the 1/1.3” sensor is the sweet spot. It gives amazing image quality, and more importantly I can keep the drone further away, so bystanders are less concerned with it. That’s huge!

watched yours this morning, excellent write-up as always. trying to work up pulling the trigger. $2200.00 is a chunk of change and then I have to add the refresh on that as well...

watched yours this morning, excellent write-up as always. trying to work up pulling the trigger. $2200.00 is a chunk of change and then I have to add the refresh on that as well...
Everyone seems to be raving about the "much improved" IQ of the 7x camera and "excellent" IQ of the new 3x camera but what about the 1x camera? From my personal experience the manufacturing tolerances were not under control with production of M3 resulting in huge variation in IQ from unit to unit. I had to return 2 Cine versions with badly decentered and blurry lenses before finally opting for a non Cine in desperation of risking to get yet another dud. The third one, the non Cine has at least acceptable IQ but still the bottom corners are worse than the top corners and there is also a bit of blurriness visible in a specific area on the right side of the frame.
I will be watching the M3P thread with interest once first buyers receive their units before even considering upgrading. I am dreading the thought of having to go through the same tedious process of returning and requesting exchange and all the associated inconvenience again....

Last edited:
Reactions: BingBong and KS-6
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Everyone seems to be raving about the "much improved" IQ of the 7x camera and "excellent" IQ of the new 3x camera but what about the 1x camera? From my personal experience the manufacturing tolerances were not under control with production of M3 resulting in huge variation in IQ from unit to unit. I had to return 2 Cine versions with badly decentered and blurry lenses before finally opting for a non Cine in desperation of risking to get yet another dud. The third one, the non Cine has at least acceptable IQ but still the bottom corners are worse than the top corners and there is also a bit of blurriness visible in a specific area on the right side of the frame.
I will be watching the M3P thread with interest once first buyers receive their units before even considering upgrading. I am dreading the thought of having to go through the same tedious process of returning and requesting exchange and all the associated inconvenience again....

I remember our plight well!

This is why I just ordered the Mavic 3 Pro in its cheapest form, I already have 6 batteries, the RC Pro and a very good version of the Cine. When I did the math and figured that if I sold the Cine to get the same RC Pro / Mavic 3 Pro combo, I would take a financial hit about the amount that the basic Mavic 3 pro kit would cost so why punt a perfectly good drone for an unknown quantity when it was a serious hassle to nail a good one in the first place? With the included regular controller, I get a lightweight backup to boot. In keeping my Cine I also can be patient if the Q/C stuff shows up again with the new bird.

So I am going to have two Mavic 3's, lol!

LOL. Sounds like a reasonable way to go about it, that is if you can justify to yourself having a two M3s. At least in that case if the new Pro will suffer from the same issues as the M3 used to, it will not be that painful for you to return and ask for exchange as you would still have a good Cine M3 to work with.
I have not made up my mind yet about what I will do......🤔

Last edited:
I'd love to see the EXIF information for the sensors on all three of the new cameras in the M3 Pro if anyone has one. As an example for the old Mavic 3 the 24mm camera shows L2D-20c and the 161mm camera is FC4170. I am curious to hear what changes happened at this level.

Reactions: Cosmo0g

I love your videos. I even linked to your latest on the previous page. I mainly do photography with the M3, so I'd love to see a comparison of a shot taken with the 3x camera vs the same shot with the main camera that's been cropped to match the 3x's dimensions. The improved 7x is great, but it's the 3x that would make me upgrade.

I'd love to see the EXIF information for the sensors on all three of the new cameras in the M3 Pro if anyone has one. As an example for the old Mavic 3 the 24mm camera shows L2D-20c and the 161mm camera is FC4170. I am curious to hear what changes happened at this level.

The model # for the new 166mm camera is FC4370. Lens is listed as 166.0 mm f/3.4. Focal length is 30.71mm.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98