Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 v.s Mavic 3 Pro - camera module comparison

SkywalkerFeng

Reactions
Site
www.instagram.com
[4/24/23: Added leaked official specs for Mavic 3 Pro]

I created a couple of images, to compare the camera module between Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro. The size difference is quite significant.

The take-off weight has increased from 895g to 958g. Cine version is even heavier.

As result, the official flight time is reduced from 46 to 43 minutes. The realistic flight time is more likely around 28-30 minutes.

If I have to take a guess, this new triple camera set up is a sweet spot DJI found, after testing prototypes with multiple lens and sensor configurations. Ideally I want a 7X zoom camera with one inch sensor, but it may not be doable without compromising too much gimbal performance and flight time.

M3P-3.jpg

M3P.jpg

M3P-2.jpg

WechatIMG287.jpeg

Last edited:
Hoping there is also a new Explore mode, using all 3 cameras, with 2x digital zoom on each of first the two cameras, to go with the digital 4x on the 7x telephoto, for a continuous 1x to 28x hybrid zoom combo, without the current terrible 3x and 4x on the main camera, before the badly pixelated 4x jumps to the current optical 7x.

Floating around the web

I think there will be a modest improvement in terms of image quality, from the new 7X telephoto camera, with a redesigned optical lens (F4.4 -> F3.4). Anything more than that would be god send.

Last edited:
It may have a 70mm equiv. focal length with f/2.8, but it is not zoom lens. It is a fixed focal lens.
So basically like $1000 phones these days, with 3 fixed cameras.

And the dirty truth is that the base angle camera has the best PQ and the wide and telephoto cameras aren't quite as sharp.

And the dirty truth is that the base angle camera has the best PQ and the wide and telephoto cameras aren't quite as sharp.
Yes, three different fixed cameras. The main camera gives the best image quality because of the large sensor. The other two is not necessarily less sharp, but the smaller sensor (especially the 1/2 inch on the tele) does not give the same quality, especially in low light situations.
The medium tele, 70mm f/2.8, is interesting. The same sensor as the Mini 3 Pro, which is a good sensor, with a longer focal length lens has potential for pretty good image quality.

Seems the meaning of the word Zoom has been lost in 2023.
There is no optical zoom on this drone.
"#x Optical Zoom" appears to have replaced "#x Telephoto Lens."
Zoom and telephoto are still incorrectly being used interchangeably!
The Explore mode's hybrid use of digital zoom on both the the primary lens and the telephoto lens on the Mavic 3 seems to be contributing to some of the confusion. This will only get worse with a hybrid use of three different lenses on the Mavic 3 Pro for a new Explore mode, consisting of a primary lens and two different telephoto lenses, comprising the same hybrid zoom range of 1x to 28x. Anything other than 1x, 3x and 7x is a digital zoom of one of these three optical lenses, two of which are telephoto lenses.

Reactions: js47 and Hauptmann

Except here, the wide angle 4/3 camera has the best sensor and PQ, while the medium 3x and long 7x telephoto cameras have progressively smaller sensors.

Reactions: Hauptmann
They might be very sharp, but they have smaller sensors
Smaller sensors but much more powerful post-processing.

currently traveling through Spain with a full sensor Nikon and iPhone 14 Pro Max.

the results with iPHone are really good, even in low light.

now if I pixel peep on a large monitor or try to make a large print, the limitations of the small sensor becomes obvious.

but they mitigate the limitations of the small sensor with state of the art processing, on much faster mobile processors than anything DJI would use.

Looks like the camera is heavier than the Mavic 3 Classic version which will imply the a European C1 approval will not be met. The total weight must not exceed 900 grams to comply.

See updated post with leaked official specs. The take-off weight for Mavic 3 Pro is increased from 895g to 958g. Cine version is even heavier.

[4/24/23: Added leaked official specs for Mavic 3 Pro]

I created a couple of images, to compare the camera module between Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro. The size difference is quite significant.

The take-off weight has increased from 895g to 958g. Cine version is even heavier.

As result, the official flight time for M3P is reduced from 46 to 43 minutes. The realistic flight time is more likely around 28-30 minutes.

If I have to take a guess, this new triple camera set up is a sweet spot DJI found, after testing prototypes with multiple lens and sensor configurations. Ideally I want a 7X zoom camera with one inch sensor, but it may not be doable without compromising too much gimbal performance and flight time.

View attachment 163004

View attachment 163005

View attachment 163006

View attachment 163014
Thanks for putting the comparison photos up,wow what a difference in size.

I think there will be a modest improvement in terms of image quality, from the new 7X telephoto camera, with a redesigned optical lens (F4.4 -> F3.4). Anything more than that would be god send.

Looks like my expectation is just about right. DJI finally addressed one of the biggest complaint for Mavic 3.

screenshot.png

Looks like my expectation is just about right. DJI finally addressed one of the biggest complaint for Mavic 3.

View attachment 163017
A wider aperture is a great improvement.
But this screenshot (which is not from DJI) claims higher resolution. Both the old telephoto lens in Mavic 3 and the new one here, have the same 1/2 inch sensor, and 12MP resolution. Both can shoot 4k video. So what does higher resolution mean?
Also, the screenshot says it has a 7x optical zoom, which is false. It is ia fixed telephoto lens.

A wider aperture is a great improvement.
But this screenshot (which is not from DJI) claims higher resolution. Both the old telephoto lens in Mavic 3 and the new one here, have the same 1/2 inch sensor, and 12MP resolution. Both can shoot 4k video. So what does higher resolution mean?
Also, the screenshot says it has a 7x optical zoom, which is false. It is ia fixed telephoto lens.

I think the "higher resolution" here refers to the improved optical resolution of the redesigned lens, not the sensor. There are private reports from beta testers of the new M3P, claiming the 7X telephoto lens is now capturing shaper images, when compared to the old 7X lens for M3.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan