DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 - Will You Upgrade?

After I bought the FPV more or less as an impulse buy, I promised myself to not plunge anymore money in the drone pit until there was more clarity about the CE labels, so I might consider upgrading, but only if:
  • It has a CE label (Must)
  • It is compatible with the smart controller, OR has a comparable controller (Must)
  • It is compatible with the FPV Goggles V2 (Strong wish)
  • The price level is comparable to the Mavic 2 Pro or less (Must)
  • Size/Weight equal to or less than Mavic 2 Pro
Other wishes:
  • Flight time equal to or better than Mavic 2 Pr
  • Signal strength/connection reliability better than Mavic 2 Pro
  • Even better camera than the Mavic 2 Pro
Features I don't care for:
  • More sensors

DJI has been releasing a ridiculous amount of drones in the past year, and these things definitel do not come cheap. With products like the Mavic 2 Pro and Air 2S currently out in the market, what can the upcoming Mavic 3 have to offer that would make you want to upgrade or replace whatever drone you have now?
interchangeable lenses

I've been very pleased with my Mavic 2 Pro in pretty much all areas and the only feature I think I'd upgrade for would be a bigger camera sensor but then at the same time that would likely increase the size and weight of the drone which I wouldn't want.

Reactions: Thanohano44
If they price it between $1000 and $2000, I might just sell my Mavic Pro and Air 2S and opt for the Mavic Pro 3

Reactions: Thanohano44
I've been very pleased with my Mavic 2 Pro in pretty much all areas and the only feature I think I'd upgrade for would be a bigger camera sensor but then at the same time that would likely increase the size and weight of the drone which I wouldn't want.
That variable aperture is indeed an attractive feature in M2P

4k @ 60fps minimum, 1" sensor minimum, x3 optical zoom minimum

Give me that and I'll upgrade.

All the other benefits are just gravy.
That would be nice, but 3x optical zoom on a 1" sensor is going to mean a much larger camera.

For me it's camera quality. I've seemed to make mistakes with my purchases. I got into this and bought the Mavic Pro a matter of weeks before the Mavic 2 line came out because I didn't know it was coming. When I finally bought a 2, it was the zoom because the zoom feature seemed more interesting to me than the better camera on the 2 Pro. Then I learned about "zooming" in editing and realized that I should have bought the pro2. I bought a mini for fun and, liked it so much that when a sale came up I bought a second one... mere weeks prior to the release of the mini 2 again, because I didn't know. I've been seriously considering biting the bullet and getting the darn 2 Pro but, been waiting, and waiting and waiting for the 3 so I don't make another mistake by finding out the 3 possibly being considerably better than the 2 Pro. My son followed in my footsteps and his wife got him the Air 2 for Christmas and naturally a short time later the Air2S was introduced. I'd like to actually get AHEAD of the curve a little. Lol

Just as many people buy the latest computer with all the bells and whistles, only to use 1/10th of its potential (play solitaire and send texts), there will be those that will buy a $3000.00 drone to simply fly around the neighborhood! For me, buying the Mavic 3 will depend on how much improvement is made. Cost and capabilities will determine whether or not I jump on board. I’ve had Phantoms, Minis and Mavics and still rely heavily on my Phantom 4 Adv for 99% of what I do. It’s rock solid, produces great still and video and is more stable in wind than any other drone I’ve had. Some folks just “have to have” the newest tech….. and that’s perfectly fine. I prefer to have the money in the bank if there isn’t a tremendous advantage to upgrade to what we used to call “the bleeding edge of technology”. Just as with the Air 2S, there are always a few initial bugs in the first run production / software. I would rather someone else take the plunge and be a test market before I lay out the cash on a NEW product line. Waiting a few months after release always seems to reduce the disappointment of having to deal with a bad product. Whether an auto, drone or other electronic device I would rather wait and see how an item performs before making my decision to purchase. I still get the same rush when opening a new purchase, even if it is a few months after its release.

I am happy with my mavic 2 zoom ... until it breaks I will use it

Reactions: scoble08
I am almost sure there will be a CE marking on the new drone, otherwise they will shoot themselves in the knee.

As I do not have a problem with DJI restrictions (I fly legal and I always get flight permission when required), the only things I am interested in a drone (besides the high quality of course) are CE marking, sensors all around, high end camera, decent flight time.

If any of this is missing, I am definitely trying an Autel instead.

Nah, it will be a pass from me. I have an Air 2S and TBH, most of the time it sits in its bag. The Mini 2 is the drone I reach for 9 times out of 10 even though the image quality is far inferior. As they say, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you.

Reactions: projectarjun
I will get one. Maybe not right away. I will wait for someone who got in way over their heads and wants to unload for a discount. Be patient and look.. And like a predator I will pounce on my prey and pull the trigger when the time is right. Until then I will keep flying my MA2 and M2Z which I love.

So many will want to purchase the 6K drone without even having the computer capable of handling the demand a 6K video file. It’s like using a shotgun to kill a fly. Most 2 year old computer systems simply don’t have the horsepower to run 6K video workload. Seems like a waste to have a camera that capable but an outmoded computer.
This just isn’t true. I’ve been shooting 6K raw on Red cameras since 2011, and editing it just fine. It’s a more demanding format than H264 or Autel’s H265. Sure, it’s true that a $500 laptop won’t handle 6K very well, but frankly, that computer isn’t going to edit any video all that well.

• Wow
Reactions: MaxE1955!
I am almost sure there will be a CE marking on the new drone, otherwise they will shoot themselves in the knee.

As I do not have a problem with DJI restrictions (I fly legal and I always get flight permission when required), the only things I am interested in a drone (besides the high quality of course) are CE marking, sensors all around, high end camera, decent flight time.

If any of this is missing, I am definitely trying an Autel instead.
I observe the Part 107 rules and always get permission when required too, but I found myself buying an Autel Evo 2 when a client wanted me to shoot inside their million-square-foot warehouse with 60-foot ceilings and two DJI drones refused to let me fly higher than 6 ft. off the floor.

• Wow
Reactions: projectarjun
If you want the Mavic 3 just buy the Autel Evo II Pro 6K

Reactions: AirStreamPictures
This just isn’t true. I’ve been shooting 6K raw on Red cameras since 2011, and editing it just fine. It’s a more demanding format than H264 or Autel’s H265. Sure, it’s true that a $500 laptop won’t handle 6K very well, but frankly, that computer isn’t going to edit any video all that well.
“Not true at all”. Hmmmmm, we’ll I guess it’s all relative as to whether or not you consider your time valuable or not. The difference between “it will work” and “do I have the time for it to work” is in the eye of the beholder. I can put a Volkswagen in a quarter mile drag strip race and it will work! But, how well. If you’re an amateur video enthusiast I suppose waiting 4+ hours for an i3 processor and a 4gb memory to render a 15 minute video of their kid at the petting zoo is acceptable time then yeah, I guess it’ll “work”. However if you’re earning a living and time is money then NO, it will NOT!!!! I get a laugh out of people adding their .02 cents commenting when they obviously don’t have to earning their living on the subject they have limited experience. But hey what do I know?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO