DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 - Will You Upgrade?

“Not true at all”. Hmmmmm, we’ll I guess it’s all relative as to whether or not you consider your time valuable or not. The difference between “it will work” and “do I have the time for it to work” is in the eye of the beholder. I can put a Volkswagen in a quarter mile drag strip race and it will work! But, how well. If you’re an amateur video enthusiast I suppose waiting 4+ hours for an i3 processor and a 4gb memory to render a 15 minute video of their kid at the petting zoo is acceptable time then yeah, I guess it’ll “work”. However if you’re earning a living and time is money then NO, it will NOT!!!! I get a laugh out of people adding their .02 cents commenting when they obviously don’t have to earning their living on the subject they have limited experience. But hey what do I know?
“Not true at all”. Hmmmmm, we’ll I guess it’s all relative as to whether or not you consider your time valuable or not. The difference between “it will work” and “do I have the time for it to work” is in the eye of the beholder. I can put a Volkswagen in a quarter mile drag strip race and it will work! But, how well. If you’re an amateur video enthusiast I suppose waiting 4+ hours for an i3 processor and a 4gb memory to render a 15 minute video of their kid at the petting zoo is acceptable time then yeah, I guess it’ll “work”. However if you’re earning a living and time is money then NO, it will NOT!!!! I get a laugh out of people adding their .02 cents commenting when they obviously don’t have to earning their living on the subject they have limited experience. But hey what do I know?
I guess I should clarify. You said most two-year-old computer systems can’t handle 6K video. I assumed that you were talking about systems that were suitable for video editing in the first place.

FWIW, I’ve made 100% of my living for the past 30 years from film and video production—mostly National and regional TV spots.

I will be buying the Mavic 3 Pro .... sold my extra Inspire 2 a year ago for this. I have the M2P & the A2S & just sold the Mavic Air 2! I would really love the 4/3 on this thing, but that may not happen. It most definitely will blow the Autel 2 out of the water when it comes out!
I have had absolutely no battery issues with my Mavic 2 Pro!

Cheers, Jon

Last edited:
I will be buying the Mavic 3 Pro .... sold my extra Inspire 2 a year ago for this. I have the M2P & the A2S & just sold the Mavic Air 2! I would really love the 4/3 on this thing, but that may not happen. It most definitely will blow the Autel 2 out of the water when it comes out!
I have had absolutely no battery issues with my Mavic 2 Pro!

Cheers, Jon
Ah yes, a 4/3 Sensor, now that's a different level :D

I'll get it if it has any of the following
  • zoom and same resolution. I don't care too much about 6k or 8k, but that would be nice (I have the system right now to edit that).
  • wifi video transfer from bird to PC once back in the office.
  • PTO (power take off) and attachment hooks; that is, a simple way to draw power off the battery for peripheral devices. You know, speakers, payload dropping devices, etc. I think there's a big market out there waiting for such a thing.
  • Noise cancellation props / tech. Props spin at exact the right speed to cancel the noise from the neighboring prop. Silent.
  • floats

• Haha
Reactions: GtoJon
Better battery life. (I only get about 20 minutes nowadays). Improved camera, better performance… top speed an such.

If you want the Mavic 3 just buy the Autel Evo II Pro 6K
Would just quit flying first. Nothing personal at you but been with DJI from the start and where i will quit.
Yes I mod there but only to keep the guidelines in check.
And from my reading what I do there if gifted one I would sell it. ?‍♂️

For me it's camera quality. I've seemed to make mistakes with my purchases. I got into this and bought the Mavic Pro a matter of weeks before the Mavic 2 line came out because I didn't know it was coming. When I finally bought a 2, it was the zoom because the zoom feature seemed more interesting to me than the better camera on the 2 Pro. Then I learned about "zooming" in editing and realized that I should have bought the pro2. I bought a mini for fun and, liked it so much that when a sale came up I bought a second one... mere weeks prior to the release of the mini 2 again, because I didn't know. I've been seriously considering biting the bullet and getting the darn 2 Pro but, been waiting, and waiting and waiting for the 3 so I don't make another mistake by finding out the 3 possibly being considerably better than the 2 Pro. My son followed in my footsteps and his wife got him the Air 2 for Christmas and naturally a short time later the Air2S was introduced. I'd like to actually get AHEAD of the curve a little. Lol

This is why I will likely wait a year. For example, look at the Phantom 4 line up. ?. M2P was the first drone I purchased. Prior to that I flew a MP1, Anafi, Autel and Phantom 3. I liked flying it when my business partner invited me to fly. I got really excited to own my own after flying the M2P, but I waited a year. Now I can’t get enough of it. I want to buy a used M2Z but with all of the advancements in the Air2S, Mini2 etc…somethings telling me we will have new M3P’s every year. I might be better served waiting. Why is nobody talking about the Phantom 5 anymore?

Reactions: projectarjun
I've been quite pleased with my M2P, and really see no distinct advantage to upgrading just yet. I generally don't rush out for the latest and greatest and let the bugs get worked out, and known issues then I'll make the call. for what I do though, the M2P is just fine. I'm getting ready to upgrade my DLSR to the new Z series, so putting my money there instead.

The tech just keeps getting better. Thats why we upgrade, if we can afford it.

Nope, I wil not upgrade as long as I have a perfectly working Mavic Air (1). I do not have the gold-donkey in my basement to fund it (though my children say, that there is one down in the basement sometimes, and then they look at me...)

Improved image quality will make for an easy upgrade (from M2P as current best drone image I have) for me.

1 - Improved dynamic range.
2 - Improved color depth
3 - Improved resolution
4 - High quality optical zoom or interchangeable lenses
5 - Adjustable ND would maybe be NTH

I don't know that I really care how they achieve it (though physics might). A vast improvement in 1" or an increase to 4/3 or better would be equally fine if the end results are much improved.

Quieter would be nice as well as other flight improvements but image quality reigns for me.

PTO for strobes (and some higher power strobes w/ good t.0 and t.1) would likely be the thing for me buying multiples. Strobes that work off of either Profoto or Buff triggering would be icing.

I have a funny feeling a 4/3 sensor is in the works for the Mavic 3

Don't mean to upset anyone, but here goes.
The Phantoms and the Mavics are your great grandfather' drone, and the DJI FPV is your grandfather's drone.
Forget all of that
Why? Geo fencing and other limitations
Get yourself the DJI FPV goggles V2, and the DJI RC V1 with a Caddx Vista (or air unit) and build your own drone. It's plug and play easy, and much cheaper.
Fly anywhere you want. Be safe of course, but don't have the FAA make DJI tell you what to do.
Real drones are remarkably capable. The Phantoms and Mavics are great photo/video platforms, but a real bore.
Get into FPV and experience what a real drone can do.
If you need high quality video, for whatever reason, slap on a Gopro. The goggles 720p is plenty good for me.
Learn to fly a real drone, and not a robot.
You won't regret it.
Good luck with that whole Mavic 3 BS
Man up. Fly a real drone. It's still DJI, for the important parts.
Goodbye

Last edited:
@Drone on ,there are many aspects to the drone flying hobby ,and what you are stating is just one of them ,it is every individuals decision as to the type of drone they fly ,you are lucky that you have the ability to fly a drone that does not have all the flying aids that others have built in
by all means come on the forum and encourage people to try your type of flying
but there is no reason to be disparaging to those of us, who are quite happy with the drones we have

I fly both types of drone. My tri-copter for example has no assistance at all beyond auto-levelling if I turn it on. However if I want to take photos or video I'm not about to grab that and fly it. Even with a GoPro on it the photo quality will be garbage compared to my dedicated camera drones.
It's kind of like someone asking whther they are going to upgrade their screwdriver set to the latest version, when someone comes along and says "Buy a hammer and learn to use it and you'll never want to use screwdrivers again". Different tools for different jobs and owning them is not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: scoble08
I've been quite pleased with my M2P, and really see no distinct advantage to upgrading just yet. I generally don't rush out for the latest and greatest and let the bugs get worked out, and known issues then I'll make the call. for what I do though, the M2P is just fine. I'm getting ready to upgrade my DLSR to the new Z series, so putting my money there instead.
This year I made the jump from DSLR to the mirrorless Z system. I went Z7II, the trinity of f/2.8 and the 105mm macro. BEST. CHOICE. EVER. Send me a message if you have questions. Happy to share my experience.

I made that upgrade because I didn't see the next obvious high quality offering that really impressed me coming anytime soon. Frankly I still don't. The M300 has the P1 camera which has a full frame sensor. I'm not sure they can pull that off on a Mavic air frame but micro 4/3 is VERY possible.

All that said, I did stash $7K away form the Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced but wasn't happy with what I saw so I passed. A Mavic 3 Pro at $3K isn't even a question to me. My M2P has made me profits of over 40X what I paid for it and when you think of these things as tools, the investment is sorta trivial.

As long as the M3P is a big upgrade, I'm in. Otherwise... Sony? Just so I can put the camera I want on it.

Reactions: DRONO
This year I made the jump from DSLR to the mirrorless Z system. I went Z7II, the trinity of f/2.8 and the 105mm macro. BEST. CHOICE. EVER. Send me a message if you have questions. Happy to share my experience.
That's the exact system I'm moving to, down to the 105. The more I've been researching the better sense it makes to put my money here instead of the Mavic.

Don't mean to upset anyone, but here goes.
The Phantoms and the Mavics are your great grandfather' drone, and the DJI FPV is your grandfather's drone.
Forget all of that
Why? Geo fencing and other limitations
Get yourself the DJI FPV goggles V2, and the DJI RC V1 with a Caddx Vista (or air unit) and build your own drone. It's plug and play easy, and much cheaper.
Fly anywhere you want. Be safe of course, but don't have the FAA make DJI tell you what to do.
Real drones are remarkably capable. The Phantoms and Mavics are great photo/video platforms, but a real bore.
Get into FPV and experience what a real drone can do.
If you need high quality video, for whatever reason, slap on a Gopro. The goggles 720p is plenty good for me.
Learn to fly a real drone, and not a robot.
You won't regret it.
Good luck with that whole Mavic 3 BS
Man up. Fly a real drone. It's still DJI, for the important parts.
Goodbye
I don't mean to be combative here, but lack of features like GPS stability and something beyond a 10-minute flight time for which you have to carry around a bag of batteries would be more "primitive". That would be more your great-grandfather's drone. And hey, I'm sure FPV's a lot of fun. I just don't feel inclined to go through the (to me) hassle and rebuilding and soldering and such. Although I'd do that before shelling out $1300 for the DJI FPV kit.

Would I be interested in the "Mavic 3" or whatever? Yes, depending on the cost and if the "while using this you can't do that" sort of limitations in the Air 2S are ironed out. Until then I'm quite happy with the MA2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato