DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic acted like a runaway horse and I had no control

Something to consider.
Shut off the auto-update setting in your device. Sometimes updates need a little research before they get loaded.

Reactions: RickJW
What a great forum to get expert help and advice.
I thank you sir for taking your time to assess and answer my questions so directly and to the point. Thanks,
Rick
Absolutely agree! Wow thank you for your time, effort, knowledg and experience, usually its nerv racking feeling new and having an issue where people could easily have ego.. Just wanted to say thank you and a new flyer and fairly new to forum. Thanks sar104. Your a class act

Something to consider.
Shut off the auto-update setting in your device. Sometimes updates need a little research before they get loaded.
Being I bought this Mavic Pro used on Ebay, I decided to play it safe after the issues I have had. I downloaded and installed DJI Assistant. What a debacle it was to get it to recognize the Mavic. Finally got it working and first thing I did was restore it to factory settings. Who knows what buttons I clicked on to change things, and what the original owner did as well. Then I refreshed the firmware, and then calibrated by chasing the colored boxs around the screen. Now I will go out and give it a short test flight. short because it's only 19°F here in Western WA.

OK, that makes sense to me now. There was a chain link fence near the take off point. But, shouldn't I have gotten a warning?
The chainlink fence is only a maybe.
Unless you were very close, it wouldn''t have had any effect.
The most common cause of the issue you had is launching from reinforced concrete surfaces.
It's a good idea to avoid steel or reinforced concrete surfaces for launching.

ps .. here's what your flight data looks like:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

The chainlink fence is only a maybe.
Unless you were very close, it wouldn''t have had any effect.
The most common cause of the issue you had is launching from reinforced concrete surfaces.
It's a good idea to avoid steel or reinforced concrete surfaces for launching.

ps .. here's what your flight data looks like:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

That info is absolutely awesome to see. I can see what happened but not why.
I would like to get the app you used to get that info deciphered. Some sort of log viewer.

That info is absolutely awesome to see. I can see what happened but not why.
I would like to get the app you used to get that info deciphered. Some sort of log viewer.
Post #2 has a link that will get you there.

What's happened is that you've launched from a magnetically bad location.
Your IMU has initialised within a distorted magnetic field so that it gets a false idea of where north is.
When you've flown out of the magnetic influence and turned the drone, the IMU's idea of north and the compass's north are disagreeing and the flight controller has a problem with conflicting data.

Reactions: SpinItUp
I found another one with a whack of errors in it. The time stamp is 12-59-25. Now I don't know why so I'll leave that to those more knowledgeable to look into.

It's this flight.
1549723690870.png

Never even thought about s pre-flight check list. Just been so excited to fire up and take off. After 2 crashes and 2 sets of props destroyed, I believe it's time to fly like a real pilot. My AC is more than a toy.
I use this one for the Mavic 2 Propreflight checklist.jpg

I had a 'magnetic interference' pop up shortly after takeoff and it got a little hinky. I managed to get it down safely and recalibrate the compass and it was all good again. I think the culprit was I got in the path of a HugesNet satellite internet dish. As for flying discipline, I just ask myself: "would you be doing (fill in the blank) if you were actually strapped into that thing?"

I had a 'magnetic interference' pop up shortly after takeoff and it got a little hinky. I managed to get it down safely and recalibrate the compass and it was all good again. I think the culprit was I got in the path of a HugesNet satellite internet dish.
A magnetic interference warning can only come from a compass sensor.
Flying past a sat dish won't do anything for the compass unless it's steel and you are about three feet away from it.
Recalibrating the compass won't "fix" your issue because it was not due to a bad calibration.

Reactions: sar104
A magnetic interference warning can only come from a compass sensor.
Flying past a sat dish won't do anything for the compass unless it's steel and you are about three feet away from it.
Recalibrating the compass won't "fix" your issue because it was not due to a bad calibration.
I've had to recalibrate the compass a couple times Pre-Flight but this was the only time it did that after takeoff. The HugesNet has an Uplink Transmitter, and it sure seemed like that's where the problem started.

I try to start the aircraft exactly facing one of the cardinal directions (use your phone compass to align) so that it's easy to check on the map.

Perzactly the same procedure I use SAR, including checking the heading against the phone's compass. It sure gives me piece of mind knowing the aircraft heading is correct.

Unfortunately - not necessarily. The problem is that when the aircraft is powered up its only information on its heading (i.e. the direction it's facing) is from the compass. If the earth's magnetic field is locally distorted by ferromagnetic material then, unless the magnetic field is clearly wrong, the FC will accept the indicated heading and initialize the IMU yaw value, and it has no way to know that's not the correct value.

The important test, which is not suggested anywhere by DJI, is to check that the aircraft orientation arrow on the map is pointing in the same direction, relative to north, that the aircraft is actually facing. I try to start the aircraft exactly facing one of the cardinal directions (use your phone compass to align) so that it's easy to check on the map.
thx for this info , I will be checking this from now on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d