DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 10th flight dropped from the sky

Edgeedge

Reactions
I have this controller error and IMU errors all over the place. The IMU won’t calibrate 2 months out of DJI extended warranty.

Reactions: CarlsbadAL
Wow, that looks like a major IMU failure at 223sec into the flight ... think we need the Mobile device DAT log for this, the one for this flight ends with FLY068.DAT. How to retrieve --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide (read under section 3.)

Yes - very impressive data. Climbing at over 75 m/s to 1570 m AGL while spinning CCW at 130 rpm. I think the IMU needs more than a calibration.

Climb.png

• Wow
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Always babied this drone always did everything by the book why all of a sudden IMU failure? Do I need a new one or can the old one be reset?

Always babied this drone always did everything by the book why all of a sudden IMU failure? Do I need a new one or can the old one be reset?
Like anything mechanical, the IMU can fail; actually, sooner or later it will fail. Considering the extreme nature of the failure in your bird, it'll probably need to be replaced.
And what do you think DJI will say when I call them tomorrow?
I expect they'll say pretty much what I said, and set you up with a repair ticket, including a shipping label. I've had fast turnaround from them, and they have very reasonable repair pricing, so I wouldn't hesitate to get the repair done. As it stands, that drone isn't at all safe to fly.

If you are really lucky, as it's only 2 months out of (extended) warranty, they MIGHT even give you a break on cost.
That's just bad luck for sure, shouldn't happen after . . . what ? . . . a couple of years ?

I've not hear of extended warranty, may be a resellers option ? Or is it Care Refresh 1st or 2nd year ?
If 2 years, then yeah a repair is probably going to be on your dime, but hopefully not too painful.

Edit - Only 10 flights ?? Maybe they will give you a break !!

Good luck.

Do some drones have redundant components for failures like this?

Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 have dual IMUs and can, in theory at least, switch to the backup IMU if the primary fails. I've seen quite a few IMU failures with those aircraft however, and the switch seldom seems to happen.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
It didn't actually do that of course - it would be physically impossible. The IMU data are spurious.
Could you explain "physically impossible". As 5000' is within the advertised range, I'm wondering what is the limiting factor for altitude. Is it built into the software and if so what is the altitude limit. Thanks

Could you explain "physically impossible". As 5000' is within the advertised range

Altitude limit on DJI drones 500m.
But it was also the other information, "climbing at over 75 m/s to 1570 m AGL while spinning CCW at 130 rpm", all adds up to incorrectly recorded data.

Reactions: sar104
Altitude limit on DJI drones 500m.
But it was also the other information, "climbing at over 75 m/s to 1570 m AGL while spinning CCW at 130 rpm", all adds up to incorrectly recorded data.
Thank you Oz - so to clarify - the 500m is a limitation controlled by software in all models of DJI drones? And am I correct in assuming this is altitude above the take off point?

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Could you explain "physically impossible". As 5000' is within the advertised range, I'm wondering what is the limiting factor for altitude. Is it built into the software and if so what is the altitude limit. Thanks
Thank you Oz - so to clarify - the 500m is a limitation controlled by software in all models of DJI drones? And am I correct in assuming this is altitude above the take off point?

Correct - even if we assume that the firmware limit of 500 m height was bypassed by the error, the physical impossibility is ascending at 75 - 100 m/s.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Sorry to hear what happened to you @Edgeedge, hope DJI will give you a break (fingers crossed). Do you happen to have the .DAT file associated with the flight? It would be interesting to look at. Also, a question to @sar104, I noticed the AC switched to Atti a few times but kept switching back to P-GPS. Would Atti mode have saved this flight or was it doomed with the IMU acting up as it did?

Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 have dual IMUs and can, in theory at least, switch to the backup IMU if the primary fails. I've seen quite a few IMU failures with those aircraft however, and the switch seldom seems to happen.

The Mavic Air the OP was flying is supposed to have dual IMUs as well (but a single compass). Seems like it didn't help here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard