DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic air 2’s are unexplainably falling from the sky

What about if TheFlaneur post the flight logs and one of our experts here can check them and see what’s going on?, I think after that we can see what happen with the MA2. , rigth ? By the way if have my MA2 since the launch day and not a single issue , I’m very happy , follow the instructions read the manuals, follow the experts and pretty much nothing wrong should happen , put a lot attention to how many Satellites are locked at the take off moment set your RTH, Make sure of your surroundings and keep watching all the warnings always.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Hi all, new to this group and this is my first post.
This topic is of particular interest to me as I was flying a no brand cheap GPS drone from Ebay to dip my toes in to this hobby. No a smart purchase in hindsight as that drone would randomly go crazy and fly in to trees by itself. Too dangerous to fly in my local park even though I am 30m away from people as that thing can move fast.
I got hooked with the hobby anyway so brought DJI Tello to practice indoors and now ordered the MA2 to do proper flying and aerial photography/videography. It was an agonizing decision between MA2 and M2P as coming from a photography hobbyist owning expensive prime lenses I wanted the best image quality possible. Also more sensors really appeal to me for safety reasons. I've done tonnes of research on MA2 and M2P and finally settled on the MA2 because M2P is much more expensive, already two years old, image quality of MA2 is 90% of M2P in daylight (we can't fly at night in Australia) and M3P is on the horizon. Figure I can sell MA2 later without too much depreciation (as newer) and upgrade to M2P or M3P if I am still flying by then. From what I can tell, there seem to be a real issue with MA2 in regards to reliability in the sense it will behave in a less predicable manner compared to M2P. I have no doubt the slower GPS lock-on speed is one of the contributing factors to people losing/crashing their drones as they didn't wait long enough for home point set confirmation before flying off. Active 3.0 is a big selling point for me but even this is in doubt now from the following videos suggested to me recently:

(skip to end)

(skip to end)

Trust in the drone do not do random moves is a big thing for me having came from a dodgy drone. Hope my MA2 will be one of the good ones and I don't regret my purchase...

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Hi all, new to this group and this is my first post.
This topic is of particular interest to me as I was flying a no brand cheap GPS drone from Ebay to dip my toes in to this hobby. No a smart purchase in hindsight as that drone would randomly go crazy and fly in to trees by itself. Too dangerous to fly in my local park even though I am 30m away from people as that thing can move fast.
I got hooked with the hobby anyway so brought DJI Tello to practice indoors and now ordered the MA2 to do proper flying and aerial photography/videography. It was an agonizing decision between MA2 and M2P as coming from a photography hobbyist owning expensive prime lenses I wanted the best image quality possible. Also more sensors really appeal to me for safety reasons. I've done tonnes of research on MA2 and M2P and finally settled on the MA2 because M2P is much more expensive, already two years old, image quality of MA2 is 90% of M2P in daylight (we can't fly at night in Australia) and M3P is on the horizon. Figure I can sell MA2 later without too much depreciation (as newer) and upgrade to M2P or M3P if I am still flying by then. From what I can tell, there seem to be a real issue with MA2 in regards to reliability in the sense it will behave in a less predicable manner compared to M2P. I have no doubt the slower GPS lock-on speed is one of the contributing factors to people losing/crashing their drones as they didn't wait long enough for home point set confirmation before flying off. Active 3.0 is a big selling point for me but even this is in doubt now from the following videos suggested to me recently:

(skip to end)

(skip to end)

Trust in the drone do not do random moves is a big thing for me having came from a dodgy drone. Hope my MA2 will be one of the good ones and I don't regret my purchase...
I'm not 100% but in the latter video, him starting it on the concrete (probably full of rebar) AND starting another electronic device right next to it could have thrown the compass calibration outta whack.

Just make sure, again... This can't be said enough... MAKE SURE that you check your mini map to ensure that the orientation of your drone is the actual direction it is pointing. This requires a strong GPS lock, just do yourself a favor and wait the few extra seconds until you have a white GPS symbol, you've checked the orientation on the mini map, and your home point has been recorded.

Do that, and you should be just fine.

Reactions: mavictom
have never seen such a wide spread problem with them staying in the air.
Yeah..it's a real problem. I'm practically afraid to leave the house these days without a hard hat along with my face mask. I generally pick up as many pieces of the falling M. A. 2's as I can as spares for when I have to repair mine. Mine got 50 or so flawless flights so I'm sure I'm going to watch if fall any day now.

I'm not 100% but in the latter video, him starting it on the concrete (probably full of rebar) AND starting another electronic device right next to it could have thrown the compass calibration outta whack.

Just make sure, again... This can't be said enough... MAKE SURE that you check your mini map to ensure that the orientation of your drone is the actual direction it is pointing. This requires a strong GPS lock, just do yourself a favor and wait the few extra seconds until you have a white GPS symbol, you've checked the orientation on the mini map, and your home point has been recorded.

Do that, and you should be just fine.
Thanks. Will absolutely do that.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
leaving the gimbal cover on should have had absolutely no effect on flight stability
The only danger might be overheating.

I have been flying mine in quite a few different heights, distances and in different wind conditions and have been very happy with its response. I have not even experienced a signal loss so far. I even did something I had never ever done before. I accidentally left the gimbal cover on and flew it out to sea 40 feet high and 200 feet out. It was acting erratically so I brought it back and only when I saw it come in near the landing spot did I see what I had done. I was still able to land it properly albeit it was wobbling a bit, get it turned off and remove the gimbal cover, fire it back up and have a 20+ minute flight with no glitches. Under the circumstances, I'd say the MA2 handles pretty well so far. The only problem I have had has been with me.

leaving the gimbal cover on should have had absolutely no effect on flight stability
The only danger might be overheating.
It flew but when you would go to stop it would not stop quickly, it would go into a slow drift and then stop. This does not usually happen in T mode. Also, when flying it would slightly wobble. SO, I brought it back, took the cover off and it flew and continues to fly fine. That's all I know. Before: not good, after: Good. Since I fly a lot over the ocean and this was over the ocean, I didn't want to test any theories. It was brought home and the cover removed. After that, all good. here's a shot with the gimbal cover off:
alu hdr.jpeg

Last edited:
So you guys are saying that the first 3/4 videos in the TS first post is due to no GPS lock? if thats the case then I'm voting for pilot error.

new to forum first post. here is my story. i received my first ma2 on june 4th. charged everything up, flashed to the new firmware and took it for its first flight that same evening. it flew great, everything worked as expected. friday the 5th it was raining but on saturday the 6th it was nice and that morning took it out again. started it up got the sats and the home point updated message. did an auto takeoff and it rose to about 2 meters. i then pushed up on the left stick to give it some more altitude and it immediately inverted cut the motors and crashed to the ground. i was shocked to say the least.
i power cycled the ac and the rc and it took much longer to connect but it eventually did connect. i got the home point updated message and did a manual takeoff to about 5 meters. the ac felt very sluggish in the air i decided to take some video and pressed the record button. as soon as i hit the record button the ac inverted motors cut and it crashed to the ground. power cycled it all again but now it would not connect to the rc.
its currently with dji. i bought it from bestbuy but seeing as its damaged now i dont think i could have returned it. im hopeful dji will replace it i did get the care refresh but this wasnt "pilot" error.
in the meantime i couldnt wait and purchased a mini. the mini felt like a toy but it does fly great and the vid is very good. i also purchased another ma2 from apple and this one has been flown 10 times or so and all is working well with it.

new to forum first post. here is my story. i received my first ma2 on june 4th. charged everything up, flashed to the new firmware and took it for its first flight that same evening. it flew great, everything worked as expected. friday the 5th it was raining but on saturday the 6th it was nice and that morning took it out again. started it up got the sats and the home point updated message. did an auto takeoff and it rose to about 2 meters. i then pushed up on the left stick to give it some more altitude and it immediately inverted cut the motors and crashed to the ground. i was shocked to say the least.
i power cycled the ac and the rc and it took much longer to connect but it eventually did connect. i got the home point updated message and did a manual takeoff to about 5 meters. the ac felt very sluggish in the air i decided to take some video and pressed the record button. as soon as i hit the record button the ac inverted motors cut and it crashed to the ground. power cycled it all again but now it would not connect to the rc.
its currently with dji. i bought it from bestbuy but seeing as its damaged now i dont think i could have returned it. im hopeful dji will replace it i did get the care refresh but this wasnt "pilot" error.
in the meantime i couldnt wait and purchased a mini. the mini felt like a toy but it does fly great and the vid is very good. i also purchased another ma2 from apple and this one has been flown 10 times or so and all is working well with it.
Without your flight data there can only be guesses to what happened. Have DJI responded with their findings?

Reactions: crosswired
Without your flight data there can only be guesses to what happened. Have DJI responded with their findings?
nothing yet they did receive it last friday and i got notice they were assessing it. i did manage to get the dat file from the rc using the dji assistant 2 but i cant read it as it looks encrypted.

nothing yet they did receive it last friday and i got notice they were assessing it. i did manage to get the dat file from the rc using the dji assistant 2 but i cant read it as it looks encrypted.

There are no useful logs on the RC. The txt and DAT logs from your mobile device are what is needed.

Reactions: InvisibleName

I like to throw a compass calibration in there too. Oh, and IMU calibration. I suspect you did neither?

I like to throw a compass calibration in there too. Oh, and IMU calibration. I suspect you did neither?
nope this was its 2nd flight both compass and imu were reported as normal in the fly app. if it was a compass issue i dont see how it would auto takeoff and hover but as soon as i pushed up on the left stick it inverted motors cut and hit the ground.

nope this was its 2nd flight both compass and imu were reported as normal in the fly app. if it was a compass issue i dont see how it would auto takeoff and hover but as soon as i pushed up on the left stick it inverted motors cut and hit the ground.

Are you planning to post any logs, or can I stop watching this thread?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4